JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So.....
I was at newly remodeled Walmart on 82nd today, and I stumbled onto an isle that was the entire line of Augason Farms #10 , and 5 gallon buckets of freeze dried foods ( Augason Farms - Food Storage and Gluten-free food products).... I checked my handy iphone to check out the company and prices, and the prices were 20-30% cheaper @ wallyworld over the website, so I snatched up a bunch... The store is recently remodeled, and the experience was great......
The stop was a total win.... I picked up food storage, 1000 rds of .223, and a couple 15 gallon containers for water...

Just thought I should put it out there.....

photo3copy.jpg
photo1-1.jpg
photo2-3.jpg

So.....
I was at newly remodeled Walmart on 82nd today, and I stumbled onto an isle that was the entire line of Augason Farms #10 , and 5 gallon buckets of freeze dried foods ( Augason Farms - Food Storage and Gluten-free food products).... I checked my handy iphone to check out the company and prices, and the prices were 20-30% cheaper @ wallyworld over the website, so I snatched up a bunch... The store is recently remodeled, and the experience was great......
The stop was a total win.... I picked up food storage, 1000 rds of .223, and a couple 15 gallon containers for water...

Just thought I should put it out there.....

So, are we supposed to start hating the iPhone or China-Mart?

By the way, even cheaper here
http://www.bjs.com/store/augason-fa...-in-one-pail-30-days-1-person.146168319-.html

I suppose if Walmart were truly convinced the future was dire, they wouldn't have gone through the trouble and expense of remodeling...

With Walking Dead being such a popular tv series there are a lot of new people who m8ght be getting into prepping. Then we also had Ms. Sandy smack the daylights out of the greater NYC area and all of a sudden there are a lot of non-preppers prepping. Let's called the prepper-lites.
China-Mart smells a business opportunity and is taking it. Question is how long before they start carying dried food from their motherland(PRC) instead of American stuff.

But why is anyone supposed to be hating? I don't get the thread title...Anyways, looks like a great selection, glad you scored. I've never considered buying these kinds of emergency foods, for the simple reason that I am suspecting pancake breakfast and chili will be the last things on my mind in a real emergency situation.

So YOU are the one buying all the .223!?
Seems like every time I go into mine the federal bulk packs and tula are sold out. Wish mine had a prepping area.. Well then again they might.. Gives me an excuse to go tomorrow :)

I don't understand why people give walmart so much guff... they sell the products people want at the price people want to pay. Yea they sell a lot of chinese stuff, if you don't want to buy chinese stuff don't, no reason not to buy american goods from walmart (and yes, they do sell TONS of stuff made here in the good ol' US of A).

Who would you rather buy from, a company that actually employs people near where you live, pays local taxes, or would you rather buy it from amazon (who doesn't employ anyone near you except for maybe UPS or the postal service) and doesn't pay local tax?

I don't get it... But as to the OT, the walmarts I've been to over the last few years, the one nearest my parents house stocks the full gamut of mountain house food, carries lodge brand cast iron cookware (made in USA), the local place remodeled a few years ago and tripled the size of the sporting goods section. The walmart near my aunt's place (in norcal) sells just about everything you would want to mount a hunting expedition. Funny thing is, when we go to the local hardware store to find the things we couldn't find at walmart, those things are usually made in china.

I don't understand why people give walmart so much guff...

It is because of weath disparity mostly and that the employees are given the lowest wage possible. All the while, the owners of Walmart have more wealth than the lowest 40% income earners in the entire USA. (Incredible number really).

As for the 'hate China' rhetoric I don't play into that. They are the hard workers, we are the slobs. We send them little worthless slips of paper/digits, they send us TVs. They are the victims, not us. Soon that will be all changing however as our standard of living will sink into the abyss and theirs will rise.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and that the employees are given the lowest wage possible.

I keep hearing that but when my wife was hired on as a general associate, the starting wage wasn't minimum wage but was at least a dollar per hour higher (don't remember the exact amount but it was over a dollar an hour more than the minimum).

It is because of weath disparity mostly and that the employees are given the lowest wage possible. All the while, the owners of Walmart have more wealth than the lowest 40% income earners in the entire USA. (Incredible number really).

Rockstars get paid like rockstars because they are rockstars, people who put stuff on shelves for other people to buy are not rockstars.

If you don't like rockstars... you could replace that word with Rocket Scientist, Skilled Tradesman, engineer, business owner, etc.

I keep hearing that but when my wife was hired on as a general associate, the starting wage wasn't minimum wage but was at least a dollar per hour higher (don't remember the exact amount but it was over a dollar an hour more than the minimum).

I certainly don't doubt your word, but it is well known that Walmart does keep their wages low. There is a very big difference between making minimum wage, or even a dollar more than minimum, and making a living wage. Making a living wage means benefits as well as wages, and historically Walmart keeps most of their employees on part-time status so that they don't have to provide benefits.

That being said, I shop at Walmart and don't feel bad about it at all. They do provide jobs, and I operate on a very tight budget. I have to do whatever is necessary to stretch every dollar.

Rockstars get paid like rockstars because they are rockstars, people who put stuff on shelves for other people to buy are not rockstars.

If you don't like rockstars... you could replace that word with Rocket Scientist, Skilled Tradesman, engineer, business owner, etc.

There you go. This is basic supply and demand. The skills necessary to do those jobs are minimal so there is a large supply of people which keeps the pay low. Wal-Mart doesn't keep the pay low, because if they were paying below market rate for the workers they wouldn't be able to attract new employees.

If you doubt this look to North Dakota where fast food joints like Burger King are starting out non-managerial employees at $15/hour. Even though the jobs are low skill the area is experiencing a tight supply of labor.

I find it ironic that you guys can find this stuff at Wal-mart, Winco, Costco and BuyMart up there, and I have to order it all online. There is NONE of that stuff here in Kalifornia, where there are so many people that are going to need food. If it was in the stores for them to see, maybe they would at least start thinking about it. Most people wouldn't do it anyway, they'll just wait for the government to help them and then cry when they can't, but the fact that it's not even available is interesting to me. Not even at Costco. Just the usual bulk items, but no long term storage food or supplies are on the shelf.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top