JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should take back my assumption that a truck gun is a rifle... Ive always wanted a super cheap spare pistol to stow in the car. It would have to be something well under $200 for me to consider the risk of theft though.

I have to admit, this whole thing is funny. In the city is where you mostly need those ARs and such. I moved to a very rural part of the state so that I don't have to worry about Zombies or the SHTF scenerio. If the SHTF around here, everyone will be leaving to go elsewhere. I carry daily, but it's not two legged animals we fear most around here. My truck gun was removed from the truck when it went to the body shop after an accident. When I got it back, it went back in. It's a 1965 30-30 Winchester 94. It's for 4 legged animals. I can't personally see a case where I need to address a personal threat that I can't take care of with my pistol. I don't want to be an enforcer. I just want to go home. If I had to earn a living, I wouldn't live here.

Once again, Skwim nailed it! Lot's of reasons to carry a "truck Gun" rifle in your ride! We are in uncharted waters these days, SJW and BLMers run-a-muck, and lots of other folks fed up with things these days! I have always carried a Long gun where ever I go and I don't care what any one has to say about me doing it! I keep it locked up VERY secure and hidden from sight, and my rig isn't one likely to get broken in to or stolen, so I have little to worry about! Driving up to Bolder last week ( Commi Headquarters in my state) I was shocked to see all the homeless all over the friggin place, and they were not a nice bunch to have to pass through when it's cold out, would only take one of them thinking here is a guy with a lot of grocery bags full of good food we don't have, lets jack him and see what he got! Or we get another round of protests in Jan, where things go even further sideways, Nuff Said!
As for the homeless thing join the club Seattle Portland San Francisco or any city or State ran by liberal 's who give them the OK to sleep and set up camp wherever they want and provide them with the tools to shoot there drugs are all the same Seattle is a junk yard thanks to that clown mayor and are liberal senator 's

For this purpose, I highly recommend something in a folding or take-down flavor. Nothing will put you at the center of attention faster along I-5 after the Cascadia earthquake than carrying a rifle. in that, or any similar scenario, you'll have enough problems without drawing unwanted attention.

The problem with this is you'll end up carrying extra weight and the gun may not be available when you need it anyway, which is why I decided against the "truck gun" concept and just carry a handgun when I travel.

I love any justification to buy another gun and have recently put thought into a "truck gun". Sounds neat, having access to a rifle caliber carbine just in case you needed to run out and get it. But what is the reality of anyone ever actually deploying one? Lots of real world examples of people every year using on body handguns in many different situations but I don't personally recall seeing any stories that involved a rifle retrieved from a vehicle even though I could imagine a couple possibilities.
Friend of mine is a long haul truck driver..... he travels all the contiguous states and refuses to be unarmed as he drives. Since so many states have refused to join the Union and make possession of a handgun a felony then refuse you the Mother May I Card, he checked all the states' rules on such things and relised... NONE prohibit the possession of long guns. So he carries, in his cab, one each M1 Garand and severall clips ready. Bolt open already, slap one clip down into the well, whisk thumb out hf harm's way, and he's ready. Legal in every one of the contiguous states. He's never even had to show it.... but he COULD have got caught up in Ferguson and/or similar situation but did not. So far.

Can you imagine the surprise, shock, and terror that rifle would bring upon a bunch of thugpunks thinking they had a wussy old trick driver, then discover he is anything BUT a wuss..... as they melt into puddles of fear and wet their pants.

Lucky you at least you can carry a pistol I just put that out there for him I can't even carry a gun in my work truck company policy and the DOT don't exactly like truck drivers driving state to state with guns so I get pepper spray and a pocket knife oh and my tire checking club LOL
DOT ca pound sand. They have NO AUTHORITY to impose such a standard. Unless they've a warrant based on probable cause they cannot inspect the cab or sleeper. And last I checked, state laws nowhere prohibit having a long gun, most require it to be unloaded.

But that doesn't mean truck driver 's don't I know of a few that do I can't so I have to weigh the risk lose my job or lose my life that's the perdicment that DOT and my company have put us in
On what basis so DOT have any say in the matter? They have ZERO authority over firearms in vehicles or anywhere else.

For this purpose, I highly recommend something in a folding or take-down flavor. Nothing will put you at the center of attention faster along I-5 after the Cascadia earthquake than carrying a rifle. in that, or any similar scenario, you'll have enough problems without drawing unwanted attention.

The problem with this is you'll end up carrying extra weight and the gun may not be available when you need it anyway, which is why I decided against the "truck gun" concept and just carry a handgun when I travel.

This is what I was thinking, seems like a long arm is a lot of hardware to be responsible for if SHTF and your trying to get home. Thats why I am curious what other reasons people have, seems like for self defense a CCW is more practical and useful since you dont have to retrieve it....

I certainly wouldn't put any NRA or the like stickers on my car (don't like bumper stickers or rear window stickers anyway) because it just make you and your vehicle a target when the idiots riot and need someone to vent their hatred on.

I see a lot of Realtree stickers on trucks and stuff and that's probably a lot better because if you don't hunt you are not going to know what it means anyway.

I always wondered about that. Why is it that if I'm in a motorhome, it is considered my residence but not a trucker with a sleeper? This unwarranted searches are a huge problem.
a vehicle with sleeping accomodations, even if that is as simple as a foam pad tossed in the back of a big van, that vehicle constitutes a "temporary residence" and cannot be searched without the same conditions being fulfilled as to search a house. the thing is DOT's notorious road cops and inspectors (for which there is NO Constitutional authority anywhere) think they are above the law, and can get pretty pushy. Few drivers really know their rights and that includes commercial drivers. Thus a testy DOT goon can often pull a search that is illegal on its face simply by pressuring the driver of the rig in question into "consenting" by various trucks.. just like the CBP goons at the illegal "inspection stations" they stage on highways within 100 miles of any of our borders. Stand your legal ground and they will eventually yield.

Besides if your truly worried about your car getting broken into.

Take off your NRA sticker or the Orygun sticker, and replace it with a Feel the Bern or Hillary sticker. Problem solved.

Sadly I stopped with the NRA stuff over an LEO. Stopped for something broken. Idiot gave me all kinds of crap about my guns. There was no CC where I was then. Legally could keep one in glove box. Which I told him was there. Papers for car were not kept there for just this reason. I am a BIG supporter of Law Enforcement having done work in it a couple times. Try to support them but this jerk did a lot to make me wonder how he ever got a badge. I got no ticket or even a "fix it". I guess he just felt the need to berate me on the common people owning guns. Went home and took the stickers off. Now days I would not do it for theft and vandalism. The "open minded free speech loving left" will key your car if they see one. Then scream for Cops to protect them if you catch them.

I should take back my assumption that a truck gun is a rifle... Ive always wanted a super cheap spare pistol to stow in the car. It would have to be something well under $200 for me to consider the risk of theft though.

I had a Davis (I know don't laugh) .380 for just this for a long time. We could legally carry in the glove box but no CC. I bought the Davis for $50 new in a shop. Shot a couple boxes of ammo and it worked. I carried it for years. figured if it got stolen no out much. It rode the safe for years after I moved up here again. Finally sold it. Sold for about twice what I paid for the damn thing.
Those High Point pistols would be great for this too. Butt ugly damn things but the ones I have shot just worked. They are very cheap.

I think you can get a Heritage Rough Rider .22 mag for like $100 new. might as well..

DOT ca pound sand. They have NO AUTHORITY to impose such a standard. Unless they've a warrant based on probable cause they cannot inspect the cab or sleeper. And last I checked, state laws nowhere prohibit having a long gun, most require it to be unloaded.
Yep. The sleeper cab of a semi is likely considered a domicile.. same as a hotel or owned house.

As for getting broken into. Don't make your vehicle a target.
Don't have shopping bags in there. Leave some BK wrappers in there. Leave junk on the dash.
Make it look like you almost live in there... IF you have to to areas where it might get broken into. Make it look like some kid drives this hoop.
You can hide a gun under the back seat without mods in most cars. Heck maybe put a couple Clinton stickers in the window. Then they know you're on the dole.
I would guess that most POS's in Seattle or Portland don't bet on finding guns. So don't make you car stand out with that NRA sticker
Again,do you think you have a better chance of escaping a mob if you A)pull out your glock.. or 2) pull out a big bubbleguming battle rifle?
Which one will make you feel like Moses?
Exactly

It seems really bad that we had to start taking care of ourselves after the Rodney King crime spree started the video documenting everything need. But it seems worse to force our commercial truckers, particularly the independants to have to invest in audio/video equipment to protect themselves from profiteering cops. But I guess it's getting to that point. As time goes on, more and more law firms are starting to get active "for us" because of the new style evidence we can offer. Identify individual officers and go after their employers. When the cost starts to hurt, they'll stop. As long as attorneys smell money, they are there to help. Keep our truckers rolling.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top