JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
EVEN on the one or two times I had to go to Canada they ask if you have any weapons in truck when I say I have a pocket knife they want to know how big it is they never Searched the truck but they could if they wanted to. Oh yeah we also go on to some Navy base so that's a no no also

If you ever go to Canada and they pull you in to immigration to check you out and they see you have a ccp then be prepared for a interview and have your car searched

I grew up with a different view of "Truck Gun" when self defense, while certainly an option, was not the primary reason to have one. Here is an alternate view likely skewing your original thread intent.
I have experimented with "truck guns" 22, 22mag pump with a scope was good for little things, .But I have settled on one that has served me well for over thirty years. Not actually kept in the truck the last 10 years. but I rarely leave home for out side the city, without it.
It started with a free Stevens 94A 12ga. single shot in poor condition. I kept it for the odd grouse truck gun figuring you cant hurt this much more . I quickly became ashamed of it so spiffed it up, lengthened the stock, added a nice butt cushion, sanded and varnished plus it got to be my first shot at reblueing a barrel. It looked good and gave us a bunch more tasty meals.
Hardly worth 100.00 gun so no angst or miffs on the dings, I got lots of sand paper. Stolen? Heck single shots are a dime a dozen (figuratively) and it already paid for its self a hundred times over in food.
One day a coyote cut me off and got me to wondering about slugs.
Since its nearly chokeless, with a little practice I was hitting 10 " paper plate @ 100 yards consistently free standing, under 4 @ 50 yards. Over the years I have gotten much better Albeit the last few years things are changing.
I then put a shell holder on it with three slugs and two for birds. Almost every time I go out target shooting I practice with so picking and inserting a slug or shot is muscle reaction and fast, including follow up shot practice. Its fairly light to carry. no sights to knock off.
I am confident that up to 50 maybe even 100 yards I could take most man, bird or beast.
Besides birds, and savory squirrels, also one coyote. Almost a deer, but couldn't get over the hill fast enough and he just left me an bubblegum shot, no way! I keep hoping to stumble on a bear or lion.
st12.jpg

I carry a truck gun for the same reason I carry extra tools, tire chains, a winter kit, etc., with me. It doesn't require the breakdown of civilization to need a rifle or a pistol, all it may need is a breakdown of your vehicle in a remote area or the bad part of town you were driving through.

My current truck gun
upload_2016-12-14_14-32-10.png

Nice when I lived and worked down in Bakersfield CA I had a 12 GA behind the seat of my pickup all the time just because never new when one of my friends would stop in after work or what and want to go dove hunting or something like that gun and few boxes of shell's

I love any justification to buy another gun and have recently put thought into a "truck gun". Sounds neat, having access to a rifle caliber carbine just in case you needed to run out and get it. But what is the reality of anyone ever actually deploying one? Lots of real world examples of people every year using on body handguns in many different situations but I don't personally recall seeing any stories that involved a rifle retrieved from a vehicle even though I could imagine a couple possibilities.

I carry one all the time. It's one that can be kept in a package 17" long. For someone to steal it they would have to know it's there. It's that well hidden. I believe a LOT in the rather have it and not need it.

It doesn't have to be a AR pistol they make a adapter for your rifle so you could have a folding stock I forgot who makes it but they sell them at midway USA there like 200 bucks for the good one that I saw a review on be careful there are fake China ones out there only thing you can't fire the gun with it folded because of buffer spring obviously

I only keep a gun in the truck on road trips. I usually take one of these, an old Winchester 94 in .25-35, a Remington 740 autoloader in .30/06 or a Ruger mini-14. They are very well secured and hidden in my PU. Invisible and chained with the thickest Kryptonite bike chain money can buy and a padlock the size of my fist! A top of the line alarm system too! :)

I keep a KISS/beater AR15 in my truck.

You know, as far as theft goes, maybe I could make a mistake and load up a magazine of 223 with each case filled with a compressed load of Green Dot and leave it conveniently next to the rifle. Maybe put some red tape around the base of the magazine for identification. That, or load the first round with 1/4 charge to get the first bullet nice and lodged in the barrel and then the next full of Green Dot.

OK I didn't see that and I don't know anyone who has one good too know like he said sig has always had a good reputation as far as I know

Love the law tactical folder on an AR pistol. With a KAK Blade, Sig Romeo 4 and a Inforce 800 WML, it makes a nice truck gun.

Pics before sig romeo and wml

IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG IMG_1369.JPG

Last Edited:
Funny thing is all these companies have made changes to the AR with stuff like that and pistons and and other stuff and now alot of them going back to original design I saw rugar came out with direct gas version of there 5.56 to cut costs

Damn!!! Was that a fluke or did they get a bad batch of parts from some supplier? This is the first I heard of this. Their guns have always had a great rep.

This is still a fairly new system, so there will be design evolution to fix unknown/unintended issues. Sig will get there, I'm just not ready to trust my life to an MCX at this point. The AR has been around since the 1950's and almost every deficiency has been addressed at this point.

Funny thing is all these companies have made changes to the AR with stuff like that and pistons and and other stuff and now alot of them going back to original design I saw rugar came out with direct gas version of there 5.56 to cut costs

That's my Ruger AR556 DI up above...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads