JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is still a fairly new system, so there will be design evolution to fix unknown/unintended issues. Sig will get there, I'm just not ready to trust my life to an MCX at this point. The AR has been around since the 1950's and almost every deficiency has been addressed at this point.
How does it go IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT

I carry a truck gun for the same reason I carry extra tools, tire chains, a winter kit, etc., with me. It doesn't require the breakdown of civilization to need a rifle or a pistol, all it may need is a breakdown of your vehicle in a remote area or the bad part of town you were driving through.

^ This.

Beyond the SHTF-type scenarios, if you do a lot of driving, hiking, etc., out in the middle of nowhere, it is nice to have. Necessary, if not actively hunting? Eh, probably not. Would it be the difference between walking away from a bad situation versus being dead? Not necessarily, but maybe. However, to quote Kafka "Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have." Good enough.

Last Edited:
Back when I was growing up a "Truck Gun" was a simple and inexpensive gun you kept around for potting small game or maybe for a quick after work / school deer hunt.

For me it would either be my H&R Pardner single shot .20 gauge or my new to me Rossi 62SA .22 pump action rifle.
Andy

My truck gun, AR pistol, fits in a backpack when separated into the upper and lower. It can rest easily in my pack whilst walking home from a power outage, emp attack, zombie attack, civil unrest, then be deployed when things get bad enough for it to be carried when the pistol just doesn't look like it will be enough.

I dont know of anyone actually deploying a truck gun. Doesnt mean its not peace of mind to have one handy.

I alternate between a 7.5" SBR , a Glock 19 and a Ruger SR1911. Havent had to use any of them but there is a lot of road rage out on "the res" and Ive had to pull the 1911 out of its storage area to get it ready for action after one illegal in question didnt like getting passed and tried to run me off the road. I'm really not the guy you want to try and run off the road. I get into business mode.

I have a gun that I toss in the truck when ever I go somewhere besides commuting. It's a 20" barreled, seven shot mag 12 gauge pump. My thoughts on a "truck gun" revolve mostly around defense and for that, I want a big hammer.

I think a truck gun (or car gun) is a good idea. Clearly on body carry of a handgun is the thing to deal with first, but adding the long gun nearby just gives more options, and even more important if you have to shoot you will less likely hit an innocent bystander.

I like a Rossi Model 92 clone with a 16" barrel for this. Small and fits just about anywhere, but with a substantial cartridge, in my case .357 Mag.

As to theft, yes it is a problem but I don't overly concern myself about it. But then I don't live in a bad neighborhood; might change my tune otherwise. But think about it, any criminal who wants a gun can already get one. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Anyway I don't get confused over what is right and wrong - it's not possession of tools that should be a crime, it is violence against others that should be punished.

I carry one all the time. It's one that can be kept in a package 17" long. For someone to steal it they would have to know it's there. It's that well hidden. I believe a LOT in the rather have it and not need it.
And after I moved from Tacoma to Sequim I dang sure carried a rifle with me. My CETME,lol.
I showed it to a guy at my friend's shop and he about peed himself.
OK I understand if company policy says you can't or no room
But to others,why do you carry a handgun with you?
(PLEASE don't answer this here;))
So given that answer,that you kept to yourself,why wouldn't you make some place in your car for a rifle?
There is the one thread a couple years ago where the cops had to use their AR to kill a perp after 20 something rounds from a 40.
It seems we have folks marching on the freeway.
Multiple assailants?
Lots of scenarios that could come up. Remember we are t talking about shooting dogs or drunks. We are talking about heavily chemicaled folks.

I would think that ANY situation where a pistol would be beneficial would be better served with a rifle. Just sayin.
I've backpacked and horsed in Montana a bit.. usually with a 4" Smith .44 magnum on my hip. They are almost like a rifle, if you know what you're doing. They're good on critters from elk to grouse, no fuss, no muss.

besides hunting, what would be the reasons anyone would need a truck gun? Im assuming by truck gun we mean a rifle.

besides hunting, what would be the reasons anyone would need a truck gun? Im assuming by truck gun we mean a rifle.
Besides driving in the snow, what's the reason for carrying chains?

Besides fighting a fire, why own a fire extinguisher?

The madness!

;)

Cool I'm going to order one tomarow lol

Another one came today for my gals 10.5.
20151004_105831.jpg

SHTF type senerio is really the only real reason I can think of...

I take one if I'm traveling over an hour away from home or headed out to the woods always. In the city... not really my thing.

I am right there with Joe13, if I am going to be more than 1 hour away from home I take more than my sidearm with me. To date it's not been needed, but it is with me... just in case.

Besides driving in the snow, what's the reason for carrying chains?

Besides fighting a fire, why own a fire extinguisher?

The madness!

;)
yes, I know... I understand. To clarify, I dont have a problem with anyone having a truck gun...

The title of this thread is about the reality of it cant really talk about that until we know what situations we need one for. Otherwise, the odds of needing it are low, the risk of it getting stolen is high...

For me it's defense just in case. The last 8 years has had us lead by a POTUS who sells hate. He has done more than anyone in my lifetime to divide and spread hate. Riots and violence can break out with little warning. To those who get caught in this it's scary. Now that the left lost they are in full on melt down. That or some kook decided to go on a shooting spree where I happen to be. Rifle is not even in the same league as hand gun. Will I ever need it? Hope not. Never need my spare tire
either but I check it now and then and make sure it's got air in it. I use a PCC for this. My favorite is one of the Kel-Tec folder's. Fit's in a 17" long package. Is very well hidden. To some causal car break in it would never be found. Makes me feel good knowing it's there.

yes, I know... I understand. To clarify, I dont have a problem with anyone having a truck gun...

The title of this thread is about the reality of it cant really talk about that until we know what situations we need one for. Otherwise, the odds of needing it are low, the risk of it getting stolen is high...

I know, hence the sarcasm!

Theft, I'd put up there as a risk one would take and balance that risk with the benefit you may have if the low odds of something happening happening.

It is a personal choice, factor the risks, the odds, the evils, and decide whether you feel good with just a pistol and maybe a spare magazine, or a secondary that can become the primary and perhaps give you an upper hand in a dicey situation.

Once again, Skwim nailed it! Lot's of reasons to carry a "truck Gun" rifle in your ride! We are in uncharted waters these days, SJW and BLMers run-a-muck, and lots of other folks fed up with things these days! I have always carried a Long gun where ever I go and I don't care what any one has to say about me doing it! I keep it locked up VERY secure and hidden from sight, and my rig isn't one likely to get broken in to or stolen, so I have little to worry about! Driving up to Bolder last week ( Commi Headquarters in my state) I was shocked to see all the homeless all over the friggin place, and they were not a nice bunch to have to pass through when it's cold out, would only take one of them thinking here is a guy with a lot of grocery bags full of good food we don't have, lets jack him and see what he got! Or we get another round of protests in Jan, where things go even further sideways, Nuff Said!

Besides if your truly worried about your car getting broken into.

Take off your NRA sticker or the Orygun sticker, and replace it with a Feel the Bern or Hillary sticker. Problem solved.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top