JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love any justification to buy another gun and have recently put thought into a "truck gun". Sounds neat, having access to a rifle caliber carbine just in case you needed to run out and get it. But what is the reality of anyone ever actually deploying one? Lots of real world examples of people every year using on body handguns in many different situations but I don't personally recall seeing any stories that involved a rifle retrieved from a vehicle even though I could imagine a couple possibilities.

I love any justification to buy another gun and have recently put thought into a "truck gun". Sounds neat, having access to a rifle caliber carbine just in case you needed to run out and get it. But what is the reality of anyone ever actually deploying one? Lots of real world examples of people every year using on body handguns in many different situations but I don't personally recall seeing any stories that involved a rifle retrieved from a vehicle even though I could imagine a couple possibilities.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
- My Father (and probably everyone elses father as well)

SHTF type senerio is really the only real reason I can think of...

I take one if I'm traveling over an hour away from home or headed out to the woods always. In the city... not really my thing.

I like the idea of a truck gun. I even carry one occasionally when I think it might be a good idea, especially when I know i'm going into or through wilderness country. I limit myself only to trips where I wouldn't be leaving it in the vehicle and would carry it when leaving it unattended. Where its not appropriate to be carrying around a rifle, my carry pistol is a 10mm.

The reason is the 3 vehicle break-ins i've had in the last 15 years. I started this policy after (only) losing 1 firearm from the first break-in. It might be that i'm just doing something wrong or am particularly unlucky...

I see two remote possibilities

A work place shooting where one could go out, retrieve the weapon and re-enter the building. Since none of my family works with me I'm probably not going back in.

Unexpected civil unrest. I say unexpected because if I know about it I'm not going anywhere near it and in this day of instant news it's highly unlikely that you are going to stumble across a riot. Typically, civilization doesn't spontaneous unravel….

This being said doesn't mean I may or may not get one… maybe even come up with some kind of "secrete or camouflaged compartment"

I don't remember the details...

There was a college shooting a few years ago where that exact thing happened. A couple guys IIRC, ran to their car and retrieved their weapons and stopped the threat.

I can't think of a lot of likely scenarios where I would need one. I suppose it's those unlikely, unanticipated scenarios that might make it a good idea - same reason I carry a pistol. That said, it has always made me nervous to leave guns in a vehicle, even secured, I just worry about possible theft - I'd hate to arm a criminal.

So I guess whether it's zombies or zambonies attacking, a long gun might be really nice to have on hand.

I can't think of a lot of likely scenarios where I would need one. I suppose it's those unlikely, unanticipated scenarios that might make it a good idea - same reason I carry a pistol. That said, it has always made me nervous to leave guns in a vehicle, even secured, I just worry about possible theft - I'd hate to arm a criminal.

So I guess whether it's zombies or zambonies attacking, a long gun might be really nice to have on hand.
Many a man has underestimated the ferocity of a rogue zamboni, much to their regret.

I believe the gun the off duty deputy retrieved from his car in the Vaughan Foods beheading attack was an AR.

As always, you must exercise caution and careful consideration when deploying any weapon in such a situation. Odds are pretty good that YOU may be identified as the assailant by responding law enforcement and/or any other concealed carry holders. I'm not saying don't take action. Just be prepared for how you may appear to others.

I would think that ANY situation where a pistol would be beneficial would be better served with a rifle. Just sayin.

I would think that ANY situation where a pistol would be beneficial would be better served with a rifle. Just sayin.

If I could carry a rifle everywhere, I'd much rather do that than a pistol. Unfortunately many factors make a pistol, on me, the most available choice.

Your handgun is the tool you use to get to your primary fighting weapon YOUR RIFLE

Which is great, if you have a rifle to get to. I drive a small, compact, company owned car with no real place to secure a long gun - and I can't make permanent mods like installing/bolting some kind of safe/lock. So, pistol it is for now.

Lucky you at least you can carry a pistol I just put that out there for him I can't even carry a gun in my work truck company policy and the DOT don't exactly like truck drivers driving state to state with guns so I get pepper spray and a pocket knife oh and my tire checking club LOL

Lucky you at least you can carry a pistol I just put that out there for him I can't even carry a gun in my work truck company policy and the DOT don't exactly like truck drivers driving state to state with guns so I get pepper spray and a pocket knife oh and my tire checking club LOL

I know a lot of folks in the same position, that still carry. Obviously concealed means concealed, only issue is if you ever have to pull it for defense, at which point you could lose your job, but better than losing your life. So long as they're not frisking you or putting you through a metal detector at work, I think you could pull it off.

But that doesn't mean truck driver 's don't I know of a few that do I can't so I have to weigh the risk lose my job or lose my life that's the perdicment that DOT and my company have put us in

When drove year's ago for different company I had one in the truck but I can't take the chance of losing a good job at this time so street fighter tactic 's is all I got till law's are changed

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top