Truck Gun reality

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by Oregon Rob, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob
    washington county

I love any justification to buy another gun and have recently put thought into a “truck gun”. Sounds neat, having access to a rifle caliber carbine just in case you needed to run out and get it. But what is the reality of anyone ever actually deploying one? Lots of real world examples of people every year using on body handguns in many different situations but I don’t personally recall seeing any stories that involved a rifle retrieved from a vehicle even though I could imagine a couple possibilities.

DB Wesner and Joe13 like this.
  2. Baseacegoku

Baseacegoku
    Albany, Oregon

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    - My Father (and probably everyone elses father as well)

3. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

SHTF type senerio is really the only real reason I can think of...

I take one if I'm traveling over an hour away from home or headed out to the woods always. In the city... not really my thing.

4. druiseeker

druiseeker
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I like the idea of a truck gun. I even carry one occasionally when I think it might be a good idea, especially when I know i'm going into or through wilderness country. I limit myself only to trips where I wouldn't be leaving it in the vehicle and would carry it when leaving it unattended. Where its not appropriate to be carrying around a rifle, my carry pistol is a 10mm.

The reason is the 3 vehicle break-ins i've had in the last 15 years. I started this policy after (only) losing 1 firearm from the first break-in. It might be that i'm just doing something wrong or am particularly unlucky...

5. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob
    washington county

I see two remote possibilities

A work place shooting where one could go out, retrieve the weapon and re-enter the building. Since none of my family works with me I’m probably not going back in.

Unexpected civil unrest. I say unexpected because if I know about it I’m not going anywhere near it and in this day of instant news it’s highly unlikely that you are going to stumble across a riot. Typically, civilization doesn’t spontaneous unravel….

This being said doesn’t mean I may or may not get one… maybe even come up with some kind of “secrete or camouflaged compartment”

6. transittech

transittech
    PDX

I don't remember the details...

There was a college shooting a few years ago where that exact thing happened. A couple guys IIRC, ran to their car and retrieved their weapons and stopped the threat.

bbbass, gryghin, BillGabby1 and 7 others like this.
  7. transittech

transittech
    PDX

8. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I can't think of a lot of likely scenarios where I would need one. I suppose it's those unlikely, unanticipated scenarios that might make it a good idea - same reason I carry a pistol. That said, it has always made me nervous to leave guns in a vehicle, even secured, I just worry about possible theft - I'd hate to arm a criminal.

So I guess whether it's zombies or zambonies attacking, a long gun might be really nice to have on hand.

bbbass, Alexx1401, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

Many a man has underestimated the ferocity of a rogue zamboni, much to their regret.

10. L84Cabo

L84Cabo
    Orcas Island, WA

I believe the gun the off duty deputy retrieved from his car in the Vaughan Foods beheading attack was an AR.

As always, you must exercise caution and careful consideration when deploying any weapon in such a situation. Odds are pretty good that YOU may be identified as the assailant by responding law enforcement and/or any other concealed carry holders. I'm not saying don't take action. Just be prepared for how you may appear to others.

11. L84Cabo

L84Cabo
    Orcas Island, WA

I would think that ANY situation where a pistol would be beneficial would be better served with a rifle. Just sayin.

12. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

If I could carry a rifle everywhere, I'd much rather do that than a pistol. Unfortunately many factors make a pistol, on me, the most available choice.

13. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Your handgun is the tool you use to get to your primary fighting weapon YOUR RIFLE

gryghin, Alexx1401, DB Wesner and 5 others like this.
  14. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

Even worse - zombies on zambonies - that's a real deal SHTF scenario right there :rolleyes:

15. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

Which is great, if you have a rifle to get to. I drive a small, compact, company owned car with no real place to secure a long gun - and I can't make permanent mods like installing/bolting some kind of safe/lock. So, pistol it is for now.

Norm0931, SKrueger, mjbskwim and 2 others like this.
  16. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

Lucky you at least you can carry a pistol I just put that out there for him I can't even carry a gun in my work truck company policy and the DOT don't exactly like truck drivers driving state to state with guns so I get pepper spray and a pocket knife oh and my tire checking club LOL

17. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

I know a lot of folks in the same position, that still carry. Obviously concealed means concealed, only issue is if you ever have to pull it for defense, at which point you could lose your job, but better than losing your life. So long as they're not frisking you or putting you through a metal detector at work, I think you could pull it off.

18. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

But that doesn't mean truck driver 's don't I know of a few that do I can't so I have to weigh the risk lose my job or lose my life that's the perdicment that DOT and my company have put us in

etrain16 likes this.
  19. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

Unless I have to go to Canada then I'm screwed

clearconscience and Alexx1401 like this.
  20. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

When drove year's ago for different company I had one in the truck but I can't take the chance of losing a good job at this time so street fighter tactic 's is all I got till law's are changed