JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a cz455 trainer and I freaking love it! I just have the 5 round magazine for it, but you can still load it as a single shot with the magazine in, no need to buy the single shot adapter. I would definitely recommend the cz- it's a good enough rifle that she won't outgrow it when her shooting skills improve- I doubt I'll over progress to the point where my accuracy potential is greater than what the rifle has to offer. It is definitely one of the highest quality .22's in the sub $350 price range.
I learned to shoot with a single shot, iron sights .22 and it is definitely the best way to teach someone, in my opinion.
Once she gets the mechanics down shooting at paper, move to potatoes, steel, and exploding targets (the sonic boom rimfire ones are what I like- the explosion is small but still incredibly satisfying!) and she'll be hooked!

Just teach her to not cock the lever until ready to shoot.

Dad is there to decock the hammer if needed and the Henerys have the standard '1/4' hammer cocked safety so it has to be cocked all the way before it will fall after that.

Not my kid but personally I don't use safeties and don't train new people / kids to use them.

The gun is either chambered or it is empty - no relying on a mechanical safety and possibly making a mistake.

Only guns I use with safeties are hunting guns for hunting but only because it's safer then unloading then if you need to set it up against a tree or climb over something.
I agree that best practices are better than mechanical safeties. But should the need to lower the hammer on a live round occur, and it may, small weak hands may have difficulty. I still may get her the rifle. Its not a huge issue, and we can train around it. JMHO I don't care for the Henry. I like made in US, but i believe the quality is not there. Cast, painted receiver, and fit and finnish are not as good.

I agree that best practices are better than mechanical safeties. But should the need to lower the hammer on a live round occur, and it may, small weak hands may have difficulty. I still may get her the rifle. Its not a huge issue, and we can train around it. JMHO I don't care for the Henry. I like made in US, but i believe the quality is not there. Cast, painted receiver, and fit and finnish are not as good.

That's why I advocated her dad drop the hammer if it came to that - I agree that a kid shouldn't be doing that except in time - the hammer spring is pretty light though.

Yea the painted receiver is not "high end" but on the plus side, you can pink it up easier then most unless you want to pay for a coating on the whole gun (I wouldn't).

They are on the low end of the price scale for levers so it stands to reason they aren't safe queens, just good shooters you won't balk at when scratched or dinged (unless you get one of the golden boys).

Not trying to defend them, I just really like mine and don't see any downsides to them.

That's why I advocated her dad drop the hammer if it came to that - I agree that a kid shouldn't be doing that except in time - the hammer spring is pretty light though.

Yea the painted receiver is not "high end" but on the plus side, you can pink it up easier then most unless you want to pay for a coating on the whole gun (I wouldn't).

They are on the low end of the price scale for levers so it stands to reason they aren't safe queens, just good shooters you won't balk at when scratched or dinged (unless you get one of the golden boys).

Not trying to defend them, I just really like mine and don't see any downsides to them.

I'm pretty sure in my case that I'll end up getting a bolt action for my daughter, and a Henry for myself. Heck, I'll need something to shoot along side her, right? ;-)

Remington 514Y

I'm considering upgrading my sons. They are nice short single shot rifles. I even have fun with them.

Edit:
$125 or so they can be picked up.

Last Edited:
I'm a big fan of the Ruger American rimfire, I have 3. Here is why, Price, Features, Accuracy.
1. Adjustable trigger.
2. Fixed sights, dovetail or screwed mounts.
3. Plastic stock is very rigid and action and barrel are bedded and free floated.
4. 10/22 magazines, BX 1, 10, 15, 25.
5. Personally I like the blueing a lot. Wish Ruger offered these in stainless.
6. Stock inserts to go from 12" to 13 3/4", two with each gun, one with cheek piece one without, $20.00 will buy longer or shorter insert.
7. Barrel lengths, 18" or 22".
8. Accuracy, all of mine operate and shoot very well.
I know I sound like I work for Ruger but I really like them Dyjital, I feel they're the best deal going for the money. If you would like to try mine out your welcome to PM me and see if we can get together, I'm not very far away. Either way, good luck with the looking as that's half the fun. LOL.

What about a good old classic rifle? 1906.jpg

For a 9 year old....I'd be looking at stock fit. The firearms that you mentioned may have too long of a stock for her.

Get something that fits. It doesn't have to be a high dollar item. OR, cut the stock if you like. Sell it later to some other person looking to teach their youngster. That being said.....I wouldn't dream of cutting the stock off of a CZ (at $300+). Yup, I'm not that rich. There are plenty of used/cheap guns to be had.

Aloha, Mark

When my boy turned six I bought a standard (don't remember the model) Marlin .22lr bolt action, removable magazine. I cut and crowned the barrel at 16.5" and cut and fitted the stock to him. He was able to use it until he was 16, and it served him well! I was able to sell it to a co-worker for enough to get the kid a new Ruger 10/22. Worked well for us and I converted a few more for others in the shop! Kind of sucks not owning a lathe and vertical mill, buuuutt, when I left the metal trades I said I never wanted to see a chip again! :D

For a 9 year old....I'd be looking at stock fit. The firearms that you mentioned may have too long of a stock for her.

Get something that fits. It doesn't have to be a high dollar item. OR, cut the stock if you like. Sell it later to some other person looking to teach their youngster. That being said.....I wouldn't dream of cutting the stock off of a CZ (at $300+). Yup, I'm not that rich. There are plenty of used/cheap guns to be had.

Aloha, Mark

Yes, it will definitely have to fit her to be considered. Weight is also a consideration. I am going to get them into her hands to be sure, but from the measurements I have seen online I think these may all be possibilities. We shall see.

For my son and I............

Half of the fun was going shopping at gun shows, stores, pawn shops and searching Armslist etc.... looking for that perfect bargain firearm.

His first.......was a .410 single shot shotgun with a cut down stock. He enjoyed hitting clay birds that we placed on the berm. Later, when he was finished with it, we sold it for slightly more than what he paid.

Good luck with your search.

Aloha, Mark

For my son and I............

Half of the fun was going shopping at gun shows, stores, pawn shops and searching Armslist etc.... looking for that perfect bargain firearm.

His first.......was a .410 single shot shotgun with a cut down stock. He enjoyed hitting clay birds that we placed on the berm. Later, when he was finished with it, we sold it for slightly more than what he paid.

Good luck with your search.

Aloha, Mark

.410 is pretty spendy last time I looked at it, even the target loads.

Well, some more anecdotal tales from yours truly! :) When I was a little guy, we lived in back of nowhere NV. I was four when my folks began training me on rifles, the only choice was dads Mossberg M-146B .22 S-L-LR, tube magazine! Now, this rifle's a monster! It's proportionate and has a 26" barrel. Big rifle! They taught me on that thing, using sand bags, front and rear! Sight picture, breathing, trigger control, everything! By the time I was old/big enough for my own .22 I had all the basics drilled into me!
BTW, My mom was a competitive target shooter and dad was a ranch kid, both could shoot.

When my son was much younger, his first rifle was a Crickett. Great starter gun--single shot bolt action, which I think is how you should start out. Learn the basics, control, and patience. Any monkey can burn through a brick of ammo with a 10/22.
Also, the Crickett is built for little kids, literally. Most 22 rifles are made for adults and the stocks are just too long/big/bulky for little hands.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

.410 is pretty spendy last time I looked at it, even the target loads.

He was in it for the excitement of seeing the clay birds shatter into tiny pieces. He said that my 22LRs were boring. Anyway, the shotgun was his (technically mine). IIRC....he paid $75 for the shotgun and later sold it for something like $100 (he says, $120).

Yes, I paid for the ammo (and clays). I figured that it was the price of keeping him encouraged. Back then, I could find .410 cheap at Sportsmans Warehouse. But, I made my money back (and a little extra) for the remaining .410 ammo, when the gun was sold.

I was even thinking about reloading for the .410. That is.......if, I had found a LEE Loader Kit for it. But, that never happened.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well, some more anecdotal tales from yours truly! :) When I was a little guy, we lived in back of nowhere NV. I was four when my folks began training me on rifles, the only choice was dads Mossberg M-146B .22 S-L-LR, tube magazine! Now, this rifle's a monster! It's proportionate and has a 26" barrel. Big rifle! They taught me on that thing, using sand bags, front and rear! Sight picture, breathing, trigger control, everything! By the time I was old/big enough for my own .22 I had all the basics drilled into me!
BTW, My mom was a competitive target shooter and dad was a ranch kid, both could shoot.

Sounds like how I grew up too. Not much else to do in Nevada, but to shoot guns, ride motorcycles, and enjoy the beautiful sunsets...:p

I'm looking to pick up a .22 for my 9 year old daughter. She learned to shoot this spring using a borrowed Marlin single shot (not sure which model it was) and she really enjoyed it. I want to keep that fire going if I can. I've been doing some research online and I'm leaning toward one of these youth/compact rifles:

Marlin XT-22 YR ~ approx. $175
CZ 452 Scout ~ approx $300
Ruger American compact ~ approx $270
Savage MK II GY ~ approx $200

I'm wanting a bolt action rifle, one that she can load one at a time for now but have the option to use the magazine at some point. I want to keep her concentrating on the fundamentals of each shot and not just blast away. :)

Looking for thoughts on things like:
Is the CZ or Ruger worth the extra money?

Does a synthetic stock matter? They feel kind of cheap to me.

Are there accuracy differences of any significance between these?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Taught both my boys (at 10 yrs old) on a 10/22 because it was readily available. Later bought a Marlin youth model.
The Marlin was never used as the Ruger was far more FUN.
I sold the Marlin and have now had the Ruger for 20 years.

Another Crickett user here. Granddaughter early spring this year, 5 years old at the time. We shoot balloons using CCI quiet with a TRS-25 @ 100 feet. Size and weight are real critical for success, she has a Nylon 66 when she gets bigger. DSC03972.JPG DSC04084.JPG

When I first got into ARS, I decided I was going to start with a .22 so I purchased a SW MP15-22 and it's the most used rifle I have. I freaking love the thing. I've sighted it in and it is on point every time. I went shooting with my cousin once who brought a coworker along. The coworker showed off his Ruger 1022 that he dropped nearly $2k into and my MP15-22 was hitting everything while his Ruger was struggling. Anyways I still want a 1022 just because and would recommend either rifle to a beginner.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top