JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first 22 was(is) a Remington, rolling block, single shot. A gift from my grandfather when I turned 10 in 1951. I still have it.

Plus now I have a 10/22, BAR 22, a Ruger single six, and a Browning semi auto, and a Ruger lever action .17.

:rolleyes: Hard to go wrong with any of them is sounds like.

I like tube fed guns because they take time to load and there is only one so you can't just keep feeding her mags.

@Rykdean

I'll be the first to toss out one not on your list or have seen mentioned yet....

A Henery Lever Action .22 s/l/lr...

Takes time to load.

Takes time to cycle the lever (and as her skill lever gets better she will naturally get faster).

Shoots s/l/lr 's so ammo is a bit easier to find.

Has a scope rail and comes with iron sights that are pretty good.

Short overall length.

Wood stock so it could be cut down with ease and then add a limb safer later to add LOP as she gets older (if you even would need to cut it down).

Insanely easier to clean then any simi auto IMO.

Lots of other merits too like it is very very accurate.

Just my experience. Saw one at Bi-mart a few days ago, new for $229.

I have been considering a lever action for myself actually. I'm sure I'll let her try it too. :)

I have to add my praise for the Henry as well, though i would look at the youth model, for a .22 rifle, it's a *really* sweet gun, i love mine, but it's freaking heavy for what it is.

I also want to agree with the other poster about single shots not being 'outgrown' - that's not how firearms work unless you're in competition. My Wife's favourite gun of all she has, is her old bolt action single shot. Very accurate, very light.

You can buy a Savage with the detachable magazine and put a single shot adapter in it until she is ready.

We have two Savage MKII's one a plain jane open iron sight model that the grand daughters are learning on and then My MKII FVT which I made a custom stock for.

17435850-lg_zpsyqrncysu.jpg

One thing I would add in here is to start out with Iron Sights first. Learning them will really help in life later! A scope can show positive results, but is harder to learn on, and even harder to correct poor shooting later on! Irons are simple, reliable, and offer the chance of explaining the mechanics of shooting rather then just doping a scope!

Mine is super light, I didn't get the heavy barreled octagon model
Sorry, i was suggesting the youth model for your daughter.

And, @Joe13 - interesting, i didn't have the chance to try either version, i went for the octagon barrel purely from catalogue choice, i had no idea it made so much weight difference.

Still love that little rifle though, i mean, seriously, it's such a hoot to shoot.

One thing I would add in here is to start out with Iron Sights first. Learning them will really help in life later! A scope can show positive results, but is harder to learn on, and even harder to correct poor shooting later on! Irons are simple, reliable, and offer the chance of explaining the mechanics of shooting rather then just doping a scope!
I agree also!

Exactly! Learning the fundamentals first is definitely key to good skills later on, and there is nothing better to teach/learn windage and elevation than iron sights. I would even, later on, challenge her to do some 'Kentucky windage' and estimated hold overs at some long distances. Remember the first time you went for the 'impossible' shot and with a little calculating and guesstimating and actually ended up hitting it? That's a moment kids don't forget and also become so much more self-confident!

I've been impressed with the Ruger American Rimfire, quite a nice gun for the price - the fact that you can shoot single shot with shorts, longs or long rifles makes it more versatile. And the fact that it uses 10/22 mags is just a bonus.

That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at that Marlin either. Both would be great guns.

Exactly! Learning the fundamentals first is definitely key to good skills later on, and there is nothing better to teach/learn windage and elevation than iron sights.

Absolutely correct.

Now, this is my perspective as a competitive shooter, team coach and military instructor. Go for a bolt action with rear aperture sights that are adjustable for both wind age and elevation. Practice point of aim/point of impact; learn to adjust sights for shooting conditions. Learn proper bolt technique; maintain the shooting position and no wasted motion. Sight alignment, sight picture and always fundamentals.

Boyd's makes some nice stocks if you want to spruce up the Ruger down the road.

I really like that. You guys that are suggesting the Ruger American bolt action rimfire are spot on. I have one in 22 WMR and a couple of my buddies liked the rifle so much that they both ended up buying one. They are extremely well made, use the rotary magazine (10-22 and 77-22 style) and extremely accurate rifles. They function just as well as the more expensive 77-22 rifles and are just as accurate.

To the OP, buy her a compact and when she gets bigger, buy a stock like the Boyds shown in the picture. The synthetic stock that originally comes on the rifle is fully functional and lightweight and will be more than sufficient while she is learning to shoot. That ruger American is a rifle she will be able to pass down to her kids as well. Buy it, I think you will be more impressed than disappointed with your decision..

Boyd's makes some nice stocks if you want to spruce up the Ruger down the road.

That looks really nice!

I have a question for you though. I've been looking at a Rimfire Hunter model to compliment my newly cerakoted Marlin 7000. I don't have plans to scope it for now as I had Tech Sights installed. I was wondering if that cheek rise built into that stock would make it more difficult to work with iron sights? I contacted Boyd's about that question and their only response was "we can't tell you - everyone is different". Just curious if you are able to get a good line of sight on your iron sights with that stock?

That looks really nice!

I have a question for you though. I've been looking at a Rimfire Hunter model to compliment my newly cerakoted Marlin 7000. I don't have plans to scope it for now as I had Tech Sights installed. I was wondering if that cheek rise built into that stock would make it more difficult to work with iron sights? I contacted Boyd's about that question and their only response was "we can't tell you - everyone is different". Just curious if you are able to get a good line of sight on your iron sights with that stock?
I had to get it out and look, Ive never shot it without the scope. It does look like the line of sight is a bit high for the open sights. Definitely something to consider.

I'm thinking about a Browning BL-22 Micro Midas. Awesome little gun. One draw back is no safety. On a regular lever gun I prefer no safety, but for a kids 22 I am a little leery of teaching her to drop the hammer.

I had to get it out and look, Ive never shot it without the scope. It does look like the line of sight is a bit high for the open sights. Definitely something to consider.

The beauty in the Boyds, is they have many stocks to choose from. I was looking at their site the other day and like the looks of many of their offerings for this rifle. Not that the synthetic stock is bad. In the case of the op wanting a rifle for his daughter, I think it would be hard to go wrong. Start her off on the synthetic stock that comes on the compact and when she outgrows it, buy a boyds...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews