JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The CZ scout is a great youth sized high quality rifle that is still fun to shoot as an adult. The only flaw is the rear sight. Upgrade it with a rear receiver target peep and it is superb rifle.

The small cheap youth rifles are not cheap. They have a short life with youth so you will be buying another rifle not long after.

The Ruger American compact or 10/22 with the interchangeable butt stock inserts are a good cheaper option. The sights suffer on those also but they are easily upgradeable. The mags are interchangeable and the American can be single loaded.

Savage MKII suffers because the cheap un-adjustable stocks and poor quality finish and mags. They have an excellent barrel and trigger only.

A good upgrade for new youth is a bipod. It makes handling the rifle easy until they get use to it or grow into it. Another good upgrade to make shooting fun is a red dot. They work extremely well for both bolt and semi autos.

Youth .22 single shot with iron sights. Teach them to become a good marksman first, every shot counts, breath control, both eyes open, prober stance. All this, of course, after significant parental instruction, or better yet a hunter safety course with peers. Start them off with two boxes of Blazer .22 LR, then chores for additional ammo. They will work harder at every shot counts. Blazing away with a 10/22 and red dot, IMHO, does not foster good marksmanship. Rifle selection, crickets and chipmunk's are great, if it's a CZ Scout better yet. I would first try to find a decent Oregon Arms Chipmunk . That to me, would have more value, and could represent a legacy tradition built on the concepts above, with the rifle that really started out the whole not an adult rifle cut down, but one designed for someone about 10 years old.

Youth .22 single shot with iron sights. Teach them to become a good marksman first, every shot counts, breath control, both eyes open, prober stance. All this, of course, after significant parental instruction, or better yet a hunter safety course with peers. Start them off with two boxes of Blazer .22 LR, then chores for additional ammo. They will work harder at every shot counts. Blazing away with a 10/22 and red dot, IMHO, does not foster good marksmanship. Rifle selection, crickets and chipmunk's are great, if it's a CZ Scout better yet. I would first try to find a decent Oregon Arms Chipmunk . That to me, would have more value, and could represent a legacy tradition built on the concepts above, with the rifle that really started out the whole not an adult rifle cut down, but one designed for someone about 10 years old.
Thanks, I'll look into the Oregon Arms Chipmunk, I always like to support local business, cheers 🥃

I agree that a single shot bolt action is best to start with, but is quickly outgrown.

The CZ and Ruger are quality, and you pay for it. Quality used .22 rifles from the 50's and 60's turn up at pawn shops.

I would suggest buying a Cricket or Chipmunk and when outgrown, turn it into a golf ball launcher.

deltateamtactical.com/heavy-duty-steel-ar-15-golf-ball-launcher.html
amazon.com/dp/B0034LS7PC
amazon.com/Ball-Mesh-Away-Practice-Balls/dp/B00CZD1JYQ

For a non-threaded barrel, drill out the threads in the launcher, turn down the barrel to a tight press fit, drive assemble. Cheaper than threading the barrel.

Well....
I would say that not everyone loses interest in a single shot .22 rifle...
They are my favorite modern rifle to shoot.
In fact I am looking to trade my 1942 dated Remington 512 for a Stevens Favorite.... :D

Shooting and hunting with a single shot .22 rifle is rewarding and a lot of fun.
Andy

Well....
I would say that not everyone loses interest in a single shot .22 rifle...
They are my favorite modern rifle to shoot.
In fact I am looking to trade my 1942 dated Remington 512 for a Stevens Favorite.... :D

Shooting and hunting with a single shot .22 rifle is rewarding and a lot of fun.
Andy
I didn't know they made .22 as a front stuffer :s0140:

I made one once from spare / old parts I had ...used an old Flobert rifle barrel...it was a percussion rifle that used .22 caliber air rifle pellets...
The load was around 20 -25 grains of 2F...If I remember right...made the rifle a long time ago.
Andy
Ok, I totally want one of these!

Kids rifle reminds me of my dads hand me down when I was a kid and all the kids in the family and friends etc shot it over the years. It was so used the bullets often came out sideways. Only gun I ever fired where you can get a "pee-owww", "peeeee-urrrrr" ricochet sound as it came out of the barrel! Don't remember who made it. Cracks me up thinking about it.

I need one of those for my truck....:D
Andy

That mini canon makes me think someone could make a black powder recoilless rifle or cannon. Perforations/ports in the back so that 50% of energy goes backwards and 50% to propel the bullet/ball. File under "silly ideas that make no sense in the real world".

Usa recoilless rifles (perforated shell case and ports in the back):

A37FE669-7B20-4BEA-9067-07742C882011.jpeg

M50 ontos with 6 recoilless rifles

EF573967-2F4C-4108-B128-BBA047FEA577.jpeg

Last Edited:
Im of the personal opinion that a bolt action 22 rifle is the best way to teach a brand new shooter no matter their age. Easiest and simplest way to teach fundamentals, sight picture, safety and operation to a new shooter before moving to something more complex.

I might be biased because I have the picture on my wall of my Grandfather teaching me how to shoot at that exact same age with his old Remington 33.
Added bonus of sticking a wood stock and blued steel rifle in their hands is theyll have an appreciation for the classics even as they get older and interests change.

Im of the personal opinion that a bolt action 22 rifle is the best way to teach a brand new shooter no matter their age. Easiest and simplest way to teach fundamentals, sight picture, safety and operation to a new shooter before moving to something more complex.

I might be biased because I have the picture on my wall of my Grandfather teaching me how to shoot at that exact same age with his old Remington 33.
Added bonus of sticking a wood stock and blued steel rifle in their hands is theyll have an appreciation for the classics even as they get older and interests change.
Agree that's why I would get bolt action wood and steel with a stock meant for youth (shorter length of pull). If it has threaded barrel then all the better cuz it can be used for pesting later on.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews