JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please correct me if I am wrong, one could single load a bolt action rifle that had a magazine feed, without using the magazine until the kid was used to single loading, then they could learn how to load and insert the magazine?
Most likely, yes. But depending on the rifle, some may work easier than others. The CZ I suggested works good in my experience with the single shot adapter.

More expensive than some of the other models marketed towards kid-aged shooters, but worth it IMO if the budget allows. And you can swap barrels, stocks, etc as the kid grows if so inclined.

I have 3 scouts, and they are all great shooters.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned up to this point, but I'd recommend the obligatory CZ 457 Scout (or maybe full size depending on his arm length) in 22lr. The Scout comes with a single shot adapter but it accepts all CZ 452/455/457 22lr magazines (5/10/25). It's a bolt action rifle but the barrel and stock are changeable as desired. The Scout comes with iron sights and a threaded barrel. Here's mine with a Montana sling and a Skinner peep sight in the rear (yes, mine. I got two more for my boys):
CZ_457_Scout_Laminate_Side_1_2021-09-17.jpg

Edit: Hah! Two recommendations for the CZ 457 Scout got added while I was typing my reply!

Last Edited:
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned up to this point, but I'd recommend the obligatory CZ 457 Scout (or maybe full size depending on his arm length) in 22lr. The Scout comes with a single shot adapter but it accepts all CZ 452/455/457 22lr magazines (5/10/25). It's a bolt action rifle but the barrel and stock are changeable as desired. The Scout comes with iron sights and a threaded barrel. Here's mine with a Montana sling and a Skinner peep sight in the rear (yes, mine. I got two more for my boys):
View attachment 1790822

Edit: Hah! Two recommendations for the CZ 457 Scout got added while I was typing my reply!
That sounds like a really good set of features, googling prices, thx 🥃

What rifle would you recommend for a kid's first 22 at 10 years old?

Kid is being taught the four rules.

Looking for something that's practical and not STUPID expensive.

Thx 🥃
The Ruger American is a great choice. It will use the same magazine as the 10/22 so you can upgrade as he gets older and more experienced. The CZ 457 is also a great option as well. It will be a little more on the pricey side though, but will easily last a lifetime.

The Ruger American is a great choice. It will use the same magazine as the 10/22 so you can upgrade as he gets older and more experienced. The CZ 457 is also a great option as well. It will be a little more on the pricey side though, but will easily last a lifetime.
Another good option. :)

That sounds like a really good set of features, googling prices, thx 🥃
Looks like the CZ Scout was discontinued in 2022? I wonder if that is causing the price to increase, it's about 500 - 550, I wonder if that will cause a loss of after market support too?

The Savage 93 line looks pretty reasonable too. I think I'd prefer the option to increase the magazine capacity, while the Marlin is more wallet friendly I potentially see kid outgrowing it with the single feed sooner.

The Ruger American Rimfire is indeed another great option I overlooked. Frankly, I'm a sucker for 22lr manual action rifles. Still need to get a pump action.

Here's my RAR setup with Tech Sights and an "Ultimate" sling. I had to have the barrel threaded because, at the time, that wasn't an option but I believe it is now. You can buy single shot adapters that are just hunks of plastic that look like 10/22 mags and even modify/buy a 10/22 mag for 22 shorts. The cool thing about the RAR is the stock rear piece is changeable for length of pull or even to raise the comb if you went with a scope and you don't have to buy a whole new stock.

RAR_Side_1_2021-03-18.jpg

As for which one is better, the CZ 457 Scout or the Ruger American Rimfire? That's tough to say. If you had an existing supply of mags for one or the other, that'd probably be my tiebreaker. The CZ457 is likely to be slightly more accurate on average, but my RAR is as accurate as I can be without a scope.

As the saying goes, in our current 22lr rifle market, it's an embarrassment of riches. A ton of great choices.

Older model Remington 510 , 511 , 512....
Or the Remington 580 , 581 , 582 that replaced the above.
Either series is a outstanding rifle for the new or experienced shooter.

Winchester's 67 and 67A is also a excellent choice....along with the Savage 15
Andy

Looks like the CZ Scout was discontinued in 2022? I wonder if that is causing the price to increase, it's about 500 - 550, I wonder if that will cause a loss of after market support too?

The Savage 93 line looks pretty reasonable too. I think I'd prefer the option to increase the magazine capacity, while the Marlin is more wallet friendly I potentially see kid outgrowing it with the single feed sooner.
I don't know about discontinued as they seem readily available (like from Davidson's, one of my preferred online sources): https://galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=02335

With that said, I paid $80 extra for laminate stocked version ($379 vs $299) a few years ago. When I ordered standard stocked versions for my kids last year, the price had gone up to $450 each (not even the laminate one). Through Davidson's, I can get one delivered to a local shop for $505. The Ruger American Rimfire, in various configurations, is sitting between $350 and $400 delivered. If I was looking for long term quality, I'd probably still pay the $100 more for the CZ, frankly (and I LOVE me some Ruger).

I've also heard good things about the Savage's and there are a million other great options which would likely come in under both of the above.

Please correct me if I am wrong, one could single load a bolt action rifle that had a magazine feed, without using the magazine until the kid was used to single loading, then they could learn how to load and insert the magazine?
Correct. I should have stated 'something that can easily be single loaded'.
Many repeating 22's don't have a removable magazine. My Model 72, for instance, has a tubular magazine below the barrel.
I wouldn't get too hung up on him learning to load and insert a magazine. Each model of gun with a detachable magazine is going to be slightly different so something that he may learn in operating a Ruger 10/22 magazine may not help him all that much when operating an AR-15 magazine. I'd recommend focusing on safety, handling, safety, maintenance, safety, marksmanship, safety, and lastly, safety!
(Did I mention safety?)

Many repeating 22's don't have a removable magazine. My Model 72, for instance, has a tubular magazine below the barrel.
I wouldn't get too hung up on him learning to load and insert a magazine. Each model of gun with a detachable magazine is going to be slightly different so something that he may learn in operating a Ruger 10/22 magazine may not help him all that much when operating an AR-15 magazine. I'd recommend focusing on safety, handling, safety, maintenance, safety, marksmanship, safety, and lastly, safety!
(Did I mention safety?)

Good post. :)

(Did I mention safety?)
S.A.F.E.T.Y! 👍🏻

Older model Remington 510 , 511 , 512....
Or the Remington 580 , 581 , 582 that replaced the above.
Either series is a outstanding rifle for the new or experienced shooter.

Winchester's 67 and 67A is also a excellent choice....along with the Savage 15
Andy
I shot a ton of those rifles in my youth, particularly in Boy Scouts. Have some older ones that have seen tens of thousands of rounds?? Anyway, my only caution is the Remington 580 single shot has this funky plastic feed-ramp/ejector thing that is screwed into the receiver floor (just outside the chamber) that can come loose and be lost and it is a real chore finding a replacement. If I went the Remington route, I'd recommend a multi-shot version to avoid that issue. Still great old guns for typically very little money.

A long time ago in a state far , far away....
I learned to shoot at Boy Scout camp with a Remington 510...lots good memories for sure.
A few years ago I found a 1941 dated 510 for sale...excellent shape with just a bit of stock rash...
Love shooting it..and hunting with it.

I remember that about the 580....been awhile since I've seen one.
Which is a shame...at one time lots of different single shot .22 bolt actions were to be found...and at good prices too.
Not so much any longer....sad to say.
Andy

Plenty of used classic .22 rifles in excellent condition available if you want, it's hard to get that quality of rifle at a comparable cost in a newly built rifle.
At 10 years old I would consider a semi-auto, more fun to shoot tin cans with and he will soon be a teenager.

Armscorp .22lr. Bolt action, simple, wood and steel, threaded barrel if you want to make it whisper quiet for them, surprisingly very accurate. About $125-$130. I would load as a single shot to start with for a 10 yo. Manipulating the cartridge and loading one at a time keeps things nice and slow and builds understanding Imo. I have 2 of them and swear by them for a simple accurate .22. Suppressed they can take out most any pest with in the ear hole accuracy at shorter ranges.

E692E075-4771-418A-A446-709E0DDD8643.jpeg

Video review of it fyi

This is what it sounds like suppressed with subsonic ammo fyi:

Armscorp .22lr. Bolt action, simple, wood and steel, threaded barrel if you want to make it whisper quiet for them, surprisingly very accurate. About $125-$130. I would load as a single shot to start with for a 10 yo. Manipulating the cartridge and loading one at a time keeps things nice and slow and builds understanding Imo. I have 2 of them and swear by them for a simple accurate .22. Suppressed they can take out most any pest with in the ear hole accuracy at shorter ranges.

View attachment 1791071

Video review of it fyi

This is what it sounds like suppressed with subsonic ammo fyi:
Great suggestion and video, thx very much!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top