JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings all! I'm hoping for some advice.

I have a nice Ruger 77/357 chambered in .357 Magnum that I bought from another member here some years ago. It has a 2X7 scope on it, is in a synthetic stock and I also have a nice walnut stock for it. It is an awesome gun and I like it pretty well, but feel like I don't personally value it as much as the market seems to value it (the only one available on Gunbroker is $1,300, not including scope or additional stock).

I like having a .357 rifle to complement my revolvers but I've been considering my options for selling or trading to get something I'd like more (most interested in a stainless Rossi lever action). Then I got to thinking about what a .357 rifle was good for, including close-range woods hunting and modest fighting capacity, and wonder whether I should keep the Ruger and try to trade/sell my Marlin .30-30 instead to get a lever action .357 (thereby consolidating calibers in the process).

With the exception of putting hits on larger game like elk and a slightly longer range, do the .357 Magnum and .30-30 rifles seem generally comparable in function/capacity to you? Better to have two rifles in .357 Mag or one in that and one in .30-30? Got thoughts on what you'd do if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

I have a nice Ruger 77/357 chambered in .357 Magnum that I bought from another member here some years ago. It has a 2X7 scope on it, is in a synthetic stock and I also have a nice walnut stock for it. It is an awesome gun and I like it pretty well, but feel like I don't personally value it as much as the market seems to value it (the only one available on Gunbroker is $1,300, not including scope or additional stock).

I like having a .357 rifle to complement my revolvers but I've been considering my options for selling or trading to get something I'd like more (most interested in a stainless Rossi lever action). Then I got to thinking about what a .357 rifle was good for, including close-range woods hunting and modest fighting capacity, and wonder whether I should keep the Ruger and try to trade/sell my Marlin .30-30 instead to get a lever action .357 (thereby consolidating calibers in the process).

With the exception of putting hits on larger game like elk and a slightly longer range, do the .357 Magnum and .30-30 rifles seem generally comparable in function/capacity to you? Better to have two rifles in .357 Mag or one in that and one in .30-30? Got thoughts on what you'd do if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Purely a personal choice. I'm never one to sell a firearm unless I really do plan on never having any interest in ever shooting it again. If I were fond of the .357 caliber, had multiple pistols chambered in it and that was my only rifle in that caliber... I would definitely keep it.

If you're really looking at a medium sized game rifle... a 30-30 is going to be considerably more capable for deer, although still rather limited, and capacity is really not in the least critical. It's not like you're going out spraying lead to take an animal, right.

Sell or trade ....it is up to you.

With that said.....
What any given firearm is selling for...as in actual sold...is no guarantee that will happen with your firearm.
Even if it is the same model...comes with more stuff...better shape...etc....

As for your rifle...
I'd keep it...those models are tough to come by....Be difficult to replace if sellers remorse shows up.
All the hassle , hoops and headache in order to sell or buy used....is something else to consider as well.
If possible..I'd just buy a new rifle.

Also ...
Not sure what it is like in your area but...
I never thought I'd see the day when .30-30 ammo was not to be found on the store shelf...or so damn expensive when it is found.
.357 magnum will work for deer...so there is also that.
Andy

The Ruger 77/357 were nice rifles. I never inderstood the appeal of a pistol cartridge in a bolt action. I think a lever action is better fit for the cartridge.

Consolidating cartridges probably makes sense when it is you, your horse and the wide expanse of the west. Today, I don't know it is an advantage other than shooting in cowboy action.

I rather have 30-30 in a lever than 357. I have both, and use the 30-30 more.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Why? Unless you need the money from it for something else? Seems to me the answer is having/keeping both! But maybe one more wouldn't hurt? This house carries a Winchester 94 in .30-30, '42 vintage, a Winchester 94 AE in .357 mag and a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. Wifey saw that Rossi 92 at a show and had to have it. I load for all three.

The market for anything is what it is, today. The rifle could continue to rise in value but if the coals are hot now and you're considering it, why not? If it doesn't get offers to your liking, no loss. Keep it.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Equivalent? Not on your life. I would (and actually did) drop the .357 carbine and keep the .30-30, and get an AR (if you don't have one). I found the .357 rifle concept useless here in Colorado (under-powered, lack of range), except maybe as a home defense weapon and the AR does that and other things. I have a .30-30 Marlin, but really for hunting deer or elk I use a .308 BLR or my customised Mauser. Those have been my hunting mainstay since the mid 1970's. When employed as a park ranger I shot bears using a 12 ga. That's just me and my experience, YMMV!
I have a .44mag Rossi I bought for pig and deer hunting in Missouri Ozarks. It's OK but again lacks range which wasnt an issue where I was hunting. I handload my hunting ammo so I squeezed everything I could out of the .44.

Last Edited:
Rossi is Rossi. Not long ago 30-30 was hard to find an expensive maybe it still is?
$.90 cents a round on AmmoSeek. Don't know if places like Bimart are carrying it. I load my own. A lot of brass available and projectiles are reasonable. LRPs might be an issue?
Gosh, I'd not be doing anything with guns if my frugal butt had to buy the ammo.

$.90 cents a round on AmmoSeek. Don't know if places like Bimart are carrying it. I load my own. A lot of brass available and projectiles are reasonable. LRPs might be an issue?
Gosh, I'd not be doing anything with guns if my frugal butt had to buy the ammo.
That's less than I thought. Similar to 45LC in price. I'd shoot a lot more 45LC if it wasn't so spendy.

That's less than I thought. Similar to 45LC in price. I'd shoot a lot more 45LC if it wasn't so spendy.
I would have thought you were a hand loader? Heck, you get the components and I'd let you use my equipment to load some of your own? W-244 powder is what I use and has been available at Bimart. Bullets are reasonable from T&B in, Lebanon, or Sweet Home, somewhere in that area.

I have owned multiple 77/357 and 77/44 rifles. To me, they are a great choice as a truck gun in the off season, or when you're not primarily hunting. There are certainly better choices for medium-game hunting than a .357, but it can be done. A .30-30 is far superior for this use.

Like so many of my firearms, these are novelty/niche guns, but I very much appreciate owning and shooting them.

A guy's just gotta figure out how such a gun fits his needs. That said, I've probably got guns that fit no needs, but I still cannot part with them.

Personally, I would not part with your rifle. And I certainly would never justify anything Rossi as a replacement.

And opinions, including mine? Worth what you pay for them. I hope you can glean something from these discussions for your own personal decision making.:cool:

Last Edited:
I suppose I really should reload in the gun. The revolver uses 45LC or .44 black powder. Have all the black powder stuff but gave up on finding the correct percussion caps.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far....

To answer some questions and provide some additional context: I have other hunting rifles in .308 that would satisfy any bigger game/longer range hunting needs that I have. I AM interested in the .357 and/or the .30-30 for short range dense woods deer hunting.

I have other fighting rifles that I know are superior to any of the options that I've mentioned, but fighting capacity is worth taking into consideration (8 rounds of .357 in a lever gun seems preferable to five in a bolt, for instance).

I'm not feeling pressed to sell and don't need the money. However, I don't have either the safe space or the disposable cash just to purchase an additional gun, would need to let go of one to pick one up.

I have two magazines for the gun (maybe a third tucked away somewhere).

Your responses are leaning me towards keeping it, though I'm still undecided,

I always thought a 77/357 would be fun, as I prefer fun and weird guns. If it were me, I'd keep it, if you want to trade for something that you would use more, nothing stopping you. I picked up a stainless Rossi in 44Mag but don't seem to use it much but still enjoy having it.

. And I certainly would never justify anything Rossi as a replacement.
Curious about this? I had heard, and had the same feeling, but with no personal experience. When wifey saw the Rossi m92 in .45 Colt at the big OAC and said she wanted. I did some research. I only remember a bunch of good comments about them. Particularly the rifles, not hand guns. I had the guys card so we picked it up for her That Rossi 92 has an action that's like butter compared to my win 94 in .357 and the pre war 94 in .30-30.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews