JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can't go wrong with a 10-22. For bolt action, a Savage or Marlin works quite well too. :)
Still new to the firearms life, is magazine, bolt, or lever action usually recommended for kids? My thinking is this is training and respect building for a big boy rifle a few years down the line, and getting used to magazines might be the best way to go?

Still new to the firearms life, is magazine, bolt, or lever action usually recommended for kids? My thinking is this is training and respect building for a big boy rifle a few years down the line, and getting used to magazines might be the best way to go?
I think it's good to teach kids all the platforms. Semi auto is no less-safe than bolt/lever if the training is done correctly. :)

Good option for kids, but with the OPs being 10 they will outgrow the Crickett in no time.
Agreed. My kids barely used their Crickett or Chipmunk rifles. They liked the 10/22 and loved the Ruger Charger which is basically an oversized 10/22 pistol. My first very own rifle was a pump action Remington Fieldmaster for 8th grade graduation. Still have and love that gun. I think I was 12 when I got it. I got started with Dad's Winchester pump gallery guns.

+2 on the cricket line if rifles.
And plenty of models to choose from that aren't all that expensive.

But the loading method is great for new shooters:
Can load a round, chamber it.. but then they have to cock the charging knob before it's actually ready to fire adding another step of safety.
Also, it does not take much strength to manipulate at all.. so it's good for kids.
Trigger(s) is/are also decent and the accuracy of them is not too bad. You'll easily be minute of "pie plate" or better.
Keystone Stella all the replacement parts in case something does wear out or break.

The single round limiting factor of the cricket keystone line of rifle/pistols slows the shooter down to better enjoy and understand safe firearm handling.

It's tough to screw up bad when you've got a single shot bolt gun. Take one shot, make it count, then go through the process of extracting/reloading.
My dad taught me to shoot with a Winchester Model 72 when I was only 6. It'll hold 16 .22 LR's but he had me do 'em one at a time. I think that kept me from burning through a lot of ammo just blasting away. I still have that ol' gun in the safe and it's my go-to squirrel gun.

I was 14 when I got my first rifle, a Marlin model 60, semi-auto 22. Loved shooting it back then. Still have it, next to my daughter's Crickett and 10/22.

Any single shot .22 built in the last 100 years...$100-150 investment that they will out grow faster than you think.
From there, bolt repeater or semi-auto...

My son started on a JC Higgins single shot, then to a Model 69a Winchester. While he loves my 10/22, even he has said it goes through ammo too fast :eek:

Savage 93s are a good "bang for the buck" option if going new, lots of aftermarket support.

It's tough to screw up bad when you've got a single shot bolt gun. Take one shot, make it count, then go through the process of extracting/reloading.
My dad taught me to shoot with a Winchester Model 72 when I was only 6. It'll hold 16 .22 LR's but he had me do 'em one at a time. I think that kept me from burning through a lot of ammo just blasting away. I still have that ol' gun in the safe and it's my go-to squirrel gun.
Please correct me if I am wrong, one could single load a bolt action rifle that had a magazine feed, without using the magazine until the kid was used to single loading, then they could learn how to load and insert the magazine?

1000014213.jpg

I'm impressed with how quickly my 6yo can go through 22lr ammo with a single shot bolt.
As a kid starting out, I found that I made each shot count more with a bolt action single shot (what I started on) than I did after moving to a 10/22 shortly thereafter. But either can go through a pile of ammo with an eager, young shooter.

My vote would be a bolt action. I like the CZ Scout, as it comes with a single shot adapter, but can easily accept a 5 or 10 round magazine. The 457 model also has a threaded barrel, so with a suppressor and subsonic ammo it's lots of fun. But not as budget friendly factoring in the cost of both gun, suppressor, and tax stamp.

A bit more than a Savage, Marlin, etc... A CZ 452/455/457 Scout model makes for a great first rifle. Comes with a single shot adapter but also takes 5/10/25 rounds mags when ready. Sized to work great for a youth, it will also fit well as they grow and still feel comfortable to shoot as an adult.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews