JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Owned a few Taurus revolvers and never had a problem with any of them. My experience with their semi autos is a different story. I have fondled a few of their newer j frame sized 38s lately. They just feel cheap with bubblegumty triggers even for a snubby. I think the extra 2 Benjamin's are worth it for the quality and knowing that if you have problems with it, S&W will take care of it. You may have a bit harder time getting Taurus to provide good customer service when it comes to fixing a broken firearm.

I've got a Taurus Model 66 .357 in stainless in the safe (the 'seven shooter'...lol). I got a great deal on it years ago, and I've been pleasantly surprised as to what a great gun it is. Fit / finish are very good, trigger is very acceptable, and it's as accurate as I am. I've also got Ruger and S&W in the safe, but the Taurus feels good and I've never regretted the purchase. Fair criticism is that with Taurus you get 'good ones and bad ones' but in my case, I think I got a very good one. Mine is lots of fun to shoot, and with .38 special in it, it's been a 'first centerfire revolver' for several new shooters. Very happy with it. I don't know that I'd mail order one, but if you can see it and handle it, and if it feels good and looks good, my guess is you won't be unhappy.

No Taurus semi-autos here, so I don't have an opinion to offer there.

For an occasional shooter, Taurus / Rossi revolvers may be an OK purchase.
To defend life and liberty, only as a worst case, that is all I have, and no help on the way.

That said, I only own those that I would use to defend life and liberty, so .......

Taurus autoloaders get no second glance. Getting parts from Brazil is a non-starter.
Several other makers have their own dogs as well that I have had on the repair bench, so I am not singling out Taurus.
They are one maker that consistently sucks, though.

I own a number of Smith & Wesson revolvers but only 3 Taurus revolvers. 2 of the Taurus revolvers, a Tracker in 357 and an M44, haven't had a mechanical issue in the thousands of rounds they've each fired. The third Taurus revolver, a model 85 in 38 special, had a poorly cut (rough) firing pin pocket in the frame that would trap the firing pin spring in it's compressed condition. Rather than take a chance on their notoriously poor customer service, I fixed it myself and it has a little over 1100 trouble free rounds since the repair. None of my Smith & Wesson revolvers have had a mechanical issue. The fit and finish on the Taurus revolvers isn't nearly as good on either the inside or the outside, and that alone is worth the difference in price.

I have a 66 and 605, father has a nickel 85.
For average shooters, they are great.
Admittedly I have not put 5k (or any insane amount) of rounds thru mine. But for the hundreds of rounds I have fired, they have been great.

Taurus makes a ton of firearms. And just like with PSA that moves tons of units.. there is bound to be issues here and there.

If its just a plinker, Taurus is FINE.
If you're looking for an heirloom, competition or best of the best.. then clearly other brands are better for that criteria.

For the average shooter wanting a decent firearm at a reasonable price, taurus works.

I own MANY taurus firearms. I plink with them often and have yet to have issues with anything I own. Ive had more issues with a Kimber than a PT1911.. Take that for what you will. YMMV.

I have a 66 and 605, father has a nickel 85.
For average shooters, they are great.
Admittedly I have not put 5k (or any insane amount) of rounds thru mine. But for the hundreds of rounds I have fired, they have been great.

Taurus makes a ton of firearms. And just like with PSA that moves tons of units.. there is bound to be issues here and there.

If its just a plinker, Taurus is FINE.
If you're looking for an heirloom, competition or best of the best.. then clearly other brands are better for that criteria.

For the average shooter wanting a decent firearm at a reasonable price, taurus works.

I own MANY taurus firearms. I plink with them often and have yet to have issues with anything I own. Ive had more issues with a Kimber than a PT1911.. Take that for what you will. YMMV.
As much of a Taurus "hater" as I am, they do make some decent offerings as long as people have realistic expectations. I think you described it perfectly. My TX-22 has been 100% reliable and is a pleasure to shoot. An excellent range plinker for sure!

I've owned Rugers, Charter Arms, Taurus and S&W. Smith and Wesson would be my top pick,no contest.
Never shot a Smith and Wesson that wasn't a tack driver. Even the J-Frame is a tack driver if the shooter does their part.

20180612_090406.jpg

38, 44mag raging bull and judge.All work great.

Only owned 1 taurus, a stainless model 85. Cracked the forcing cone on the third shot and the cylinder locked up. Replaced by Taurus, and sold.
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

I've only had experience with Taurus revolvers, going back to the late 1980's. Those experiences have all been positive. In fact, I have had two experiences with Taurus service, both outstanding. One was a broken cylinder stop on a model 85, due to my backyard gun smithing, they replaced the cylinder stop under warranty. The other was a rusting issue on a model 82 due to my improper storage, they replaced the gun under warranty.

I'd recommend, if you settle on a Taurus revolver, be sure to handle and inspect before purchasing. Checking timing, lockup and barrel alignment. If those are in order, you'll have a better shot at not experiencing quality issues.

YMMV

A friend of mine has a 6" Taurus 357, equivalent of the K-Frame Smith that he bought new in the mid to late 80's. It's always been an impressive gun. Nicely finished and blued. Great trigger, both SA and DA. When he bought it new I had a S&W 65 to compare to. The Taurus was lacking nothing. It's been a very reliable and great shooting gun.

I had a Taurus 942 for a while. Ok gun. I gave it to my nephew and he shot it until it wouldn't shoot anymore because it was so dirty. I cleaned it up which took a while and it was fine. It has the stiffest trigger I've ever encountered in a revolver.

We also had a couple of Taurus TCPs. Ok, is a good word. It works, but there are a lot better guns out there, even with similar pricing.

I can supply a tidbit of information on Taurus when they first broke into the American market.

In 1974 you could go to Kmart in Rapid City, SD and buy a nickel plated 4" .38spl Taurus revolver for $56.00

Now, what happens when a kid from Brooklyn (deposited with me in South Dakota in the Air Force) discovers this newfound freedom is a funny story...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top