JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have no experience with Tarus, on the 38/357 revolvers Smith is about 200 more. Anyone know if the Tarus is really not worth buying?
Boy, do you know how big a can o worms ya just opened...........here come the haters.

I've had several Taurus over the years and still do, haven't had any issues. Depends on how much you want to spend and if what you want is available from each. Older Rossi are good too but Rossi is owned by Taurus now and I believe all handgun production migrated to Taurus.

I sorta like the older stuff vs newer heres' a few the 38/357's are on the right

100_3052.JPG

Last Edited:
I wouldn't want to buy a Taurus. That's my opinion. STOP, Stop, stop.....because I do own a Taurus semi-auto pistol.

That being said......
I've bought several Rossi revolvers as my "cheap" inexpensive alternative to the genuine S&W. Yeah....I also have a fair share of S&W revolvers.

So then.....
Open one up. Do a comparison of the lock works. Mind you that I'm NOT saying that the parts are interchangeable but because they look alike, I'd be willing to bet that a gunsmith could work on it. Say if: I wanted to smooth up my trigger a bit.

Aloha, Mark

PS........my collection of Rossi revolvers.
Rossi-38-Sp-M885.jpg

Rossi-357-mag-R46202-or-M877.jpg

Rossi-Braz-Tech-R35202-or-M88.jpg

Last Edited:
I've owned two Taurus revolvers, one a Ti Tracker in .357 and another an M44. I've also owned three S&W revolvers, two that are Performance Shop guns.

The Tracker was a pleasure to shoot and I like it, but it came from the factory with a cylinder/barrel gap of less than 0.001", which caused it to lock up after about 50 rounds.

The M44 was stainless and had a trigger on par with S&W Performance Shop revolvers - no problems with that revolver.

My impression of Taurus handguns? Flip a coin as to whether you will get a decent to good one, or one that will need to go back to the factory, sit there for months, and then have Taurus tell you that they can't fix it, or send it back to you saying it is fixed and it isn't, or offer you an exchange for a different handgun because they don't make the model you own anymore.

Taurus seems to be innovative with handguns, but a year or two later, their new innovative model is no longer offered, and if you have problems with yours then good luck - even though they seem to have a decent warranty (on paper).

I've never had any problems with a S&W handgun, revolver or semi, and I am quite pleased with the ones I own or have owned.

In short, you get what you pay for.

I've heard too many stories from gunsmiths and I don't like buying anything I can't sell in a pinch.

The only Taurus revolver I wouldn't mind having is the Judge Magnum. It's a unique piece, and would be fun to have.

I have a S&W L-Frame now and I'm happy with it. I had a Ruger before that and the Ruger was more well made than the S&W. Ruger might be cheaper than the Smith but better than the Taurus. That's my .02 anyway.

Last Edited:
IMHO.
Revolvers are kind of expensive nowadays (well, speaking only of the brands that I might buy). So then, that being said.....if I was looking for "cheap".

Well, there are plenty of semi-auto 9mms that are "perhaps more interesting" to me.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

He said.....
While not knowing WHY you want/intend to buy this firearm in the first place. Or, what's your experience level or what you already have.

Last Edited:
No experience with Taurus revolvers…but also love my tx-22…

It's a cheap gun for sure, but it works. I'd be willing to throw down in one of their wheel guns just to try it out.

I had a stainless Tracker in .22WMR for a while. I REALLY wanted to love it as I love .22 mag. But it had timing/lockup issues out of the box and never got any better. The trigger was gritty as hell too and heavy!

I ended up selling it cheap.

I had a stainless Tracker in .22WMR for a while. I REALLY wanted to love it as I love .22 mag. But it had timing/lockup issues out of the box and never got any better. The trigger was gritty as hell too and heavy!

I ended up selling it cheap.
40lb double action pull.

My personal experience twice thus far with Taurus rimfire revolvers.

Decent in single action, but that's not what the design is about.

I have owned SWs, Rugers and one Colt in .357, but not any Tauruses. So there's my bias.

The reputation of the Taurus is that it is not in the same league as the SW in terms of fit and finish and trigger pull. The biggest criticism one sees otherwise is that quality control on the Taurus and customer service is poor. So some are good and some arent. And I've heard reports on the internet that it can be impossible to get Taurus to actually fix a gun. And they are in Brazil. So your warranty may be worthless. However plenty of people have Tauruses and like them. So some people get good ones. This includes handgun hunters, and that use requires accuracy. And not everyone cares about trigger pulls or fit and finish all that much. At least not $200 worth.The reputations mean that SW will hold its value better. On the other hand, the relative reputations may in part be based upon comparing new Tauruses to older Smiths, and the new Smiths have deteriorated a good bit compared with the old. And my impression from what people say is Taurus may have been improving. So the better rep of the SW may not be fair if comparing a new Taurus to a new Smith. At least the Taurus has no Hillary hole.

Three suggestions. First, make sure you handle the equivalent new SW before buying a new Taurus so you have a good idea what you are giving up for that $200. Especially try the SA and DA trigger pulls. And check barrel allignment. These days many revolvers including Smiths and Rugers can come from the factory with the barrel screwed in slightly too little or too much. This makes the front sight sides not perpendicular to the plane of the back sight, which is easy to miss on first inspection unless you look for it specifically. But you cant really allign sights properly if the barrel is canted. Also check for tight lockup on all cylinder chambers. Second, never buy a Taurus sight unseen. If you buy one you want one of the good ones. You can usually, though not always, figure out whether a revolver is going to work with proper inspection. With a semiauto, less so.

Finally, consider the equivalent Ruger. Its likely to have a heavier trigger pull than the Smith and a price closer to the Taurus with a better rep and better warranty and customer service than the Taurus.

Last Edited:
I can't speak on any Taurus other than the TX22, but it has quickly become one of my favorite plinking gun I own.

Cheap to buy, cheap to feed, reliable, and very easy to practice with.

Every modern Taurus I have ever played with has had an awful trigger, and just isn't fit and finished very nicely. I have seen a couple nicer vintage ones. Buy a Smith, it is worth it, especially if you don't like it and want to sell it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top