JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personal Experience. Objective. ...

Self Storage Rentals Spaces. Years ago I moved and had lots of valuables like good family furniture, personal possessions some somewhat collectibles, books, etc. in one of those rental self storage space places.

I drove a fire engine at that time. Bought a nice Condo. The plan was to slowly self move the good stuff from the storage place into the new digs. The storage facility was OUTSIDE the City limits and was OUTSIDE our fire jurisdiction.

Way back in the day. We were City Fire and good. They were county fire and lousy. No auto aid. Limited mutual aid. Little cooperation between fire agencies. Not like today at all. Things are better now but they were not better then.

The storage place had wood frame construction. No fire sprinklers. Lousy water supply area. I think the place was ISO Class 6 or 8. We were Class 1. Anyhow, the place up and burned down one night. Total loss. I lost everything.

Moral of the story is that I did not do my fire prevention homework. Also at that time the extra cost rental space fire/theft insurance policy was fairly cheap. I bought the insurance policy. Got about 50% pay back. Pissed me off.

Even though you have stuff stashed in self storage rental spaces and even have an insurance policy against theft and fire, things have a way of turning out BAD. They did for me. All my valuable stuff burned up. Long ago far away.

What did I learn from this? Better planning is very important. Murphy is a prophet.

I have started a new job driving 2-4 times a week and into the belly of an urban beast. Have to rethink my GH bag as well as what could be a long arse hike 100 plus miles.:mad: Fair amount of water along the way so I think 2-3 liters and life straw would cover that. Depending on how insane it is I conceivably could have to travel at night. Worst case scenario no motor travel it would be FUBAR. Just no easy solution if vehicles have to be abandoned. Only plus side is country side Central Valley of CA is pretty flat but lots of rivers.
And currently I know next to nobody on the route back.

Good news if can bug in will, and our house is pretty defensible against wildfires. Shasta or Lassen go up big time? All bets are off!

Brutus Out

Personal Experience. Objective. ...

Self Storage Rentals Spaces. Years ago I moved and had lots of valuables like good family furniture, personal possessions some somewhat collectibles, books, etc. in one of those rental self storage space places.

I drove a fire engine at that time. Bought a nice Condo. The plan was to slowly self move the good stuff from the storage place into the new digs. The storage facility was OUTSIDE the City limits and was OUTSIDE our fire jurisdiction.

Way back in the day. We were City Fire and good. They were county fire and lousy. No auto aid. Limited mutual aid. Little cooperation between fire agencies. Not like today at all. Things are better now but they were not better then.

The storage place had wood frame construction. No fire sprinklers. Lousy water supply area. I think the place was ISO Class 6 or 8. We were Class 1. Anyhow, the place up and burned down one night. Total loss. I lost everything.

Moral of the story is that I did not do my fire prevention homework. Also at that time the extra cost rental space fire/theft insurance policy was fairly cheap. I bought the insurance policy. Got about 50% pay back. Pissed me off.

Even though you have stuff stashed in self storage rental spaces and even have an insurance policy against theft and fire, things have a way of turning out BAD. They did for me. All my valuable stuff burned up. Long ago far away.

What did I learn from this? Better planning is very important. Murphy is a prophet.

I agree wholeheartedly, do all of the homework by looking in a lot of different places, there is a vast amount of information out there (not just gathering and arranging stuff).
As for Murphy coming around to bite you in the arse, that was my fathers name and I learned first hand...:eek::eek::eek:;)

I have started a new job driving 2-4 times a week and into the belly of an urban beast. Have to rethink my GH bag as well as what could be a long arse hike 100 plus miles.:mad: Fair amount of water along the way so I think 2-3 liters and life straw would cover that. Depending on how insane it is I conceivably could have to travel at night. Worst case scenario no motor travel it would be FUBAR. Just no easy solution if vehicles have to be abandoned. Only plus side is country side Central Valley of CA is pretty flat but lots of rivers.
And currently I know next to nobody on the route back.

Good news if can bug in will, and our house is pretty defensible against wildfires. Shasta or Lassen go up big time? All bets are off!

Brutus Out

Do you have room for a collapsible bike in your trunk or pickup bed (like those for retired folks in RV parks)? It would sure beat walking and it is easily mobile if you had to carry it around a collapsed bridge or whatever is blocking the roadway. ;)

I have thought about one of these. Would be great for a bug out situation since you could take it off road easily.

00x0x_63EIQpLktfQ_600x450.jpg

I have thought about one of these. Would be great for a bug out situation since you could take it off road easily.

View attachment 387451

Can make one as well. Best/easiest is to repurpose a military surplus trailer.

3 "common" sizes. Smaller ones can be hauled by jeep/compact pickup sized vehicles.

Next up are hauled by full sized pickups.

The next sized up hauled by the big rigs.

---CVT, Cascadia Vehicle Tents is out of Bend. Great stuff! Highly recommended, priced very well.

We have an awning and an "ad a room" for the awning from them. Super quality, and well thought out.

Seen a bunch of there tents, but never used nor been in one, as we have an oddball pop-up (Flip Pac).

Here's our oddball, setup for fair weather:

IMG_0581.JPG

Setup for foul weather:

IMG_0582.JPG

Note: we don't normally haul the trailer, but just happened to have pics from our last move out here, which has the trailer and the awning setup.

Foul weather setup is good to severe wind/rain. Dunno exactly, but easily 50MPH winds+ if battened down well. (Camped thru a severe storm once in Appalachia, multiple bad storms as well). As with any camp setup, trick with storms is to be near enough to a decent wind break, yet far enough out to not risk deadfall. So needs to be able to withstand higher winds than in heavy tree cover.

Last Edited:

3 "common" sizes. Smaller ones can be hauled by jeep/compact pickup sized vehicles.

---CVT, Cascadia Vehicle Tents is out of Bend. Great stuff! Highly recommended, priced very well.

We have an awning and an "ad a room" for the awning from them. Super quality, and well thought out.

Seen a bunch of there tents, but never used nor been in one, as we have an oddball pop-up (Flip Pac).

View attachment 387556

Setup for foul weather:

View attachment 387557

Note: we don't normally haul the trailer, but just happened to have pics from our last move out here, which has the trailer and the awning setup.

Foul weather setup is good to severe wind/rain. Dunno exactly, but easily 50MPH winds+ if battened down well. (Camped thru a severe storm once in Appalachia, multiple bad storms as well). As with any camp setup, trick with storms is to be near enough to a decent wind break, yet far enough out to not risk deadfall. So needs to be able to withstand higher winds than in heavy tree cover.

That is great. I will have to check out some pricing. I keep trying to convince the wife of buying a camping trailer but so far she is just not into it. Maybe this would be a good compromise for hunting and SHTF scenario's.

My .02.

There are Essentials, there are Necessities, and there are Luxuries...

If I had to leave, I'd leave with all the essentials and as many necessities as I could carry.

My definitions of Essentials, Necessities, and Luxuries might shock a City Slicker and many civilians.

Examples (not complete).

A Necessity would be the clothes on my back, footgear, a hatchet, and a water filter (life straw), roadkill doesn't taste that bad...:D

Essentials: add a firearm, a sheltar, comms, transpo, toiletries, medical, fire, & food, etc.

Luxuries: power tools, electricity, a shop, a house, a business surrounding the recovery, etc.

I hope your friend has at least the Essentials and Necessities to survive,
and some day, aquire the luxuries to thrive.

I chatted with him today a little via text. They are doing well and have moved into there old rental house since they just bought the new one it was still vacant. Food and water they are doing ok because they were not in the hardest hit area. They will rebuild and get back to normal but as for now he focused on helping others less fortunate.

bug out vehicles/campers are a good idea.... except in our case where the cascadia quake will destroy most roads. We aren't going anywhere when it goes down...

Kinda why I started this thread. If everything you have is gone what do you do? I am really thinking about storing some of my stuff in a couple different locations and not putting all my eggs in one basket. I mean sh!t If I lost my shop I would have no ammo, guns or preps!! :eek::mad:

Its a very real possibility in any scenario and there isnt anything one can do about it. If your home is at risk from flooding then there is nothing you can do, If it falls in a quake then maybe you might be able to dig a few things out, maybe not. Spreading your preps out on your house or property is a good idea.

That is great. I will have to check out some pricing. I keep trying to convince the wife of buying a camping trailer but so far she is just not into it. Maybe this would be a good compromise for hunting and SHTF scenario's.

Thanks!

41mags trailer above would be perfect for a roof top tent.

Could go with either a hinged lid, or skeleton/rails.

Wearing a NWFA T-shirt would be a welcome sign at MY house. Maybe we should have NWFA banners we can fly in the event of an emergency?? The unwashed masses wouldn't know what it means so there wouldn't be any security risks associated with it!!
My NWFA T-shirt just arrived yesterday.

View attachment 387556

Setup for foul weather:

View attachment 387557

Love your set up. Working on mine...

IMG_20170825_163331.jpg

A high limit credit card is helpful to get a hotel room out of town for an extended stay.

If I bug out I have places that I would go and stay with family or friends. A hotel room in the immediate area is probably out of the question since it has probably suffered the same loss you have on your home.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top