JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So long story short. I have a buddy that lives in Corpus Christi Texas. He is not a prepper by any means but very handy and always ready for what might come at him. His background is retired coast guard.

When the latest hurricane came through he grabbed what he needed boarded up his house and hit the road. Now keep in mind that what preps he did have he stored in his shop. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him first hand to see what was all lost. But I do know that its not good.

When they returned home he found his house with severe water damage and his shop totally gone! Yep GONE!

My question to you all is what do you do now? No preps house is damaged and not liveable and the people closest to you are in the same boat or worse.

Since this is real life I thought we could all talk about it and help each other out for what could happen.

If it's anything like Katrina then we will see a good amount of Texans relocate to the PNW.

Honestly I guess you find a new place to live or hope that FEMA has improved since the last disaster and your insurance pays out.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNEQFiHUaPZAGsG2gK3FXfIDbY2qUhA7mF1xqCzTLzx4QCGdjG.jpg

I say Relocate would be easiest but if it was me id Ride it Out and wait for things to get better and help those in need of help but its pretty messed up how withing hours everytghing destroyed Right but thats Life RIgHt?

Relocating is out of the question. Unfortunetly they just moved there and bought there house. This guy is not the type of person that backs down from anything. So if I know him he will rebuild and help everyone around him do the same. I know they have enough insurance to cover there losses.

My question is food, water and all the stuff you need to survive until the stores open back up. You could hunt. boil water. If you lost everything what are your options?

My guess is you won't beable to rely on the government in any way shape or form to help out. And if they do there will be a long line of needy people with there hand out. I know that Texas has a tradition of helping others. Where do you start?

For immediate needs, that would be a tough one if everything you relied up and used were gone. I guess it means maybe hoping your people skills are half way decent and compassion and cooperation are traits shared by others in your immediate area. Because you will all be depending upon each other for awhile. I suppose going it alone might be a safety necessity depending on where you are. If safety is not an immediate concern it will take organizing, and prioritizing right away. Food and water would be the first thing to be trying to get, first aid to those who might need it.

So, first question I'd ask myself is ...... is my family safe here. If they are, work with others for survival. If not, figure out how to get them to a safer place and pick try to pick up water and food along the way.

Those are my initial thoughts.

For immediate needs, that would be a tough one if everything you relied up and used were gone. I guess it means maybe hoping your people skills are half way decent and compassion and cooperation are traits shared by others in your immediate area. Because you will all be depending upon each other for awhile. I suppose going it alone might be a safety necessity depending on where you are. If safety is not an immediate concern it will take organizing, and prioritizing right away. Food and water would be the first thing to be trying to get, first aid to those who might need it.

So, first question I'd ask myself is ...... is my family safe here. If they are, work with others for survival. If not, figure out how to get them to a safer place and pick try to pick up water and food along the way.

Those are my initial thoughts.

I haven't talked to him and wish I had the time to go down and help.:( But since I don't have the time I thought about sending them a care package. But again not sure if they can get deliveries in and out.

"I have a bad feeling about this"! What is happening to Texas could be what happens to us on the Pacific Northwest Coast? Particularly Oregon? Cascadia 9.0 Earthquake? A BIG Tsunami with a HUGE run up? Just me. Just a feeling. :(

"I have a bad feeling about this"! What is happening to Texas could be what happens to us on the Pacific Northwest Coast? Particularly Oregon? Cascadia 9.0 Earthquake? A BIG Tsunami with a HUGE run up? Just me. Just a feeling. :(

Kinda why I started this thread. If everything you have is gone what do you do? I am really thinking about storing some of my stuff in a couple different locations and not putting all my eggs in one basket. I mean sh!t If I lost my shop I would have no ammo, guns or preps!! :eek::mad:

Difference between earth quake and flooding is an earth quake you could potentially dig your stuff out, as for flooding you essentially watch it all washed away. What's left behind is potentially toxic.

I haven't talked to him and wish I had the time to go down and help.:( But since I don't have the time I thought about sending them a care package. But again not sure if they can get deliveries in and out.

Yeah, probably would not have a prayer of them getting anything you would try to send them.

Kinda why I started this thread. If everything you have is gone what do you do? I am really thinking about storing some of my stuff in a couple different locations and not putting all my eggs in one basket. I mean sh!t If I lost my shop I would have no ammo, guns or preps!! :eek::mad:

Actually, this is something I have thought about within the last few days. One possibility could be a small network of people you trust. Obviously, there is always some risk involved when doing something like this. However, it doesn't mean you have to tell them absolutely everything about what you have and vice versa.

Example, if you travel between say Portland and Seattle regularly maybe have a few trusted people along the way who would take you in. In return you offer the same thing to them, should something bad happen and they are caught out of their area.

In our case, if "bad" happens, our property is where we will bug-in. It simply will not be feasible to try to leave and in reality, we are safer here than trying to go some place else. I mean, where the heck would we go? We couldn't carry enough supplies and protect it all to last very long. Here, at home, we have a fighting chance.

Difference between earth quake and flooding is an earth quake you could potentially dig your stuff out, as for flooding you essentially watch it all washed away. What's left behind is potentially toxic.

I agree but there will be some that will have to deal with flooding if they live in the flood plains of the tsunami. So kinda in all reality any thing could go with a earth quake depending on where you live.

Actually, this is something I have thought about within the last few days. One possibility could be a small network of people you trust. Obviously, there is always some risk involved when doing something like this. However, it doesn't mean you have to tell them absolutely everything about what you have and vice versa.

Example, if you travel between say Portland and Seattle regularly maybe have a few trusted people along the way who would take you in. In return you offer the same thing to them, should something bad happen and they are caught out of their area.

In our case, if "bad" happens, our property is where we will bug-in. It simply will not be feasible to try to leave and in reality, we are safer here than trying to go some place else. I mean, where the heck would go? We couldn't carry enough supplies and protect it all to last very long. Here, at home, we have a fighting chance.

That is actually a great idea! I need to start thinking of people along the I-5 corridore that I would be willing to do this with.

Edit: I do try to carry everything with me that I would need, but there could be a point that I wouldn't be able to make it home.

That is actually a great idea! I need to start thinking of people along the I-5 corridore that I would be willing to do this with.

Edit: I do try to carry everything with me that I would need, but there could be a point that I wouldn't be able to make it home.

My idea stemmed from the fact that we may very well be caught out of area. Well, not me ..... I never go anywhere. LOL! Stashing stuff just isn't feasible in my humble opinion. Having people you can rely upon is better, again .... in my opinion.

At my age I feel lucky if I get to the kitchen in the morning.
If I went around yelling "Never Surrender", Never Die, "Eat Only the Young Ones"
and beating my chest all I would accomplish is to pull a groin muscle and maybe break a rib.
You young manly testosterone filled studly type guys go out and conquer the world.
I'll shoot anyone who comes in through the front door and I have a boat.
Other than that I need a nap.

The problem with earthquakes is, there still isn't a way to predict when one will hit and how severe. Most people will be caught flat-footed were they are when it hits with really no warning. There may or may not be tsunami related flooding. Earthquakes are usually followed by after shocks. Don't think the weather will do you any favors.
Floods and Hurricanes tend to be seen coming and while the damage is severe and flooding is a given, most people if they choose to heed warnings can get away to safety.

Neither disaster will leave you with much to come home to if you live in areas prone to such events.
In either event a core waterproof survival supply in a watertight anchored container would be nice, although not easily feasible for many people...and stay away until it's safe, if something material is so important that you need to put your life at risk to get it...check your priorities.

Yeah, probably would not have a prayer of them getting anything you would try to send them.

In our case, if "bad" happens, our property is where we will bug-in. It simply will not be feasible to try to leave and in reality, we are safer here than trying to go some place else. I mean, where the heck would we go? We couldn't carry enough supplies and protect it all to last very long. Here, at home, we have a fighting chance.

This is exactly what y'all should work towards. We call them a MAG, or a Mutual Assistance Group or Agreement. Over the years I have made several agreements across this country. Simply put all parties concerned agree to offer assistance, shelter, whatever is needed to the best of their abilities. All parties have supplies at every location.

Lets say that @ikemay and I have a MAG in place. I have a cache of supplies at his place that is for my family. He has the same at mine. How simple or elaborate the plans and set ups become is up to the folks involved. I have been doing this for over 20 years now and have places we can go from coast to coast and a few in the middle. I still have property in the PNW that while it has no buildings on it, it has roughly a 6 month supply of provisions cached around on it. I will most likely not be up there when something happens but I have family that could bug out there if needed.
Just some thoughts..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top