JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A high limit credit card is helpful to get a hotel room out of town for an extended stay.

Its gonna take months to rebuild a city from a disaster.
Id rather live on the street than rack up credit card debt, especially now that your out of a job.

We camp most weekends 20-150 miles away from home. We have 2 bug out units, a lifted Vanagon with a newer Subaru conversion and rear locker, 150w Solar, 15 gl water, 5 gl fuel, webasto heater of gasoline and enough to live for 2-3 weeks. We also have a 15 foot trailer set up the same. Primarily use them for different trips depending on what we want to explore and if it's a loop run or a drop and comeback to camp. With 2 100lb Dog children, we get out of the neighborhood as much as possible and never camp in campgrounds. 2 of the remote areas have "stash" boxes hidden just in case something ever happens and we need to extend our stay.

I have thought about the " what if NW eathquake/loose hose etc." were to happen and this has been my best -go to- solution. Wife can drive one, I'll tow the other and get to high ground with enough to sustain and protect ourselves until we can safely return.

A high limit credit card is helpful to get a hotel room out of town for an extended stay.

With all due respect, you don't wanna pile up more debt when you already stand to lose big in a natural event. Keep caches of cash and or PM's. To be honest I keep cash, silver, gold and gems in my safe and a couple of other locations. If needed I can load up in a small strong box that will fit into the lockable console in one of the trucks.

With all due respect, you don't wanna pile up more debt when you already stand to lose big in a natural event. Keep caches of cash and or PM's. To be honest I keep cash, silver, gold and gems in my safe and a couple of other locations. If needed I can load up in a small strong box that will fit into the lockable console in one of the trucks.
How is cash gold etc going to buy a room for a while when the house is flooded ,burnt to the ground or collapsed?

How is cash gold etc going to buy a room for a while when the house is flooded ,burnt to the ground or collapsed?

Not sure I understand your question.
If the house is gone and you've EVACed you could easily use the funds to pay for a motel, or rental. If you're referring to rebuilding, the same holds true. In a real SHTF situation and someone wanted to buy what you were offering, what would you rather they pay with-a credit card or sliver/gold/loose precious stones? I know what I'd take..

Not sure I understand your question.
If the house is gone and you've EVACed you could easily use the funds to pay for a motel, or rental. If you're referring to rebuilding, the same holds true. In a real SHTF situation and someone wanted to buy what you were offering, what would you rather they pay with-a credit card or sliver/gold/loose precious stones? I know what I'd take..

Nobody takes payment in the form of precious metals and stone for common goods and services. There is a reason we use cash in place of those things. Your gold and silver is worthless in shtf events and near impossible to carry on you.

Here in the PNW we are due for a large earthquake. All my resources are in my home so if that catches fire from a gas leak I have nothing... This is where friends, family, and a good cash reserve come in really handy. Since he just moved there he probably doesn't have many contacts in the area which are vitally important in overcoming any large scale disaster, so he's at a disadvantage there, but cash money is still accepted in the next town/state over even if he just relocates temporarily. A cash reserve CANNOT be underestimated when it comes to emergency preparedness

I'm surprised everyone is against the whole credit card idea.

I keep a credit card with a 20000 limit purposely for panic buying while they still let me swipe.

In the case of these people in Houston this would be a great tool and a good example of why it's a GOOD idea.

They are already in a financial hole, loosing a house, car, all likely financed. They already now owe 100s of thousands of dollars to someone with nothing to show for it. What is another 10-20 thousand to make sure you don't starve for the immediate timeline. In a, this is not a quick fix, type disaster. I wouldn't care about money for some time years afterwards.

Obviously there are some here that may own their home, or property for that matter. Your likely the exception not the rule.

If the big one hit tomorrow. My house is a pile of wood and debris, my car in a pit. You bet your bubblegum I'm at a corner store trying to swipe my way into as much as I can before they state cash only. Then I'll use that next. If they want more, I'll whip out the silver rounds. I'd prefer this over getting in line with the rest waiting for the government to take care of me. But, you'd bet my wife and I would be in that line too if all else fails.

So long story short. I have a buddy that lives in Corpus Christi Texas. He is not a prepper by any means but very handy and always ready for what might come at him. His background is retired coast guard.

When the latest hurricane came through he grabbed what he needed boarded up his house and hit the road. Now keep in mind that what preps he did have he stored in his shop. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him first hand to see what was all lost. But I do know that its not good.

When they returned home he found his house with severe water damage and his shop totally gone! Yep GONE!

My question to you all is what do you do now? No preps house is damaged and not liveable and the people closest to you are in the same boat or worse.

Since this is real life I thought we could all talk about it and help each other out for what could happen.

I wont purchase property in a flood plain for good reason. I'm a spatial scientist so I an analyze and produce my own maps etc. It's a tough deal, I send my condolences to the folks struggling with Harvey; I have friends in Houston that have to head to an inland ranch during significant hurricanes. Most folks either accept climate change or don't, and thanks to Gore it's become a political thing. The truth is that we are heading into a thousand year warming cycle. Nothing can change it. The great trajedy is the scientists that swear up and down that Humans are causing Global Warming. The truth is we are impacting it but it would come regardless based on Earth's orbit and axis in relationship to the Sun. It's too bad politics seems to be the only medium Americans can grasp when it comes to 200 year old science.. Accept the fact that all coasts are washing away to rising seas. You don't need to move too far inland to live a lifetime free of rising seas, but you can't be in levee zones and flood plains...

Difference between earth quake and flooding is an earth quake you could potentially dig your stuff out, as for flooding you essentially watch it all washed away. What's left behind is potentially toxic.
Biggest difference between and earthquake and any other natural disaster is this: You have SOME warning about any natural disaster EXCEPT an earthquake. It would be a nuisance but any essential items that you would not want to lose (ever) could be boxed up and shipped to a family member or even a hotel out of town if you had to up and leave for awhile.

We've actually talked about buying a used steel shipping container at some point - partially for extra storage onsite, but it could also be a good place to put some preps, since it wouldn't be vulnerable to a collapse of the structure or two a fire in the house. Plus, it's fairly secure, probably more secure than the house. Might be a worthwhile investment at some point. We've got 1/2 acre, so we can pretty easily put a 20' container on our property without it being a big eyesore.

We've actually talked about buying a used steel shipping container at some point - partially for extra storage onsite, but it could also be a good place to put some preps, since it wouldn't be vulnerable to a collapse of the structure or two a fire in the house. Plus, it's fairly secure, probably more secure than the house. Might be a worthwhile investment at some point. We've got 1/2 acre, so we can pretty easily put a 20' container on our property without it being a big eyesore.

I thought about doing that when I built my shop. I wanted to burry it in the ground and then have a set of stairs going down to it. Unfortunetly price out weighed want. :(

I do appreciate everyone telling me how earthquakes are unpredictable and with floods you might actually have some warning. Trust me, I know these things. Got it, thanks.

I was only pointing out differences and what condition your "preps" might be in the aftermath of either. Neither event is desirable. But in an earthquake, your "preps" might still be usable.

I thought about doing that when I built my shop. I wanted to burry it in the ground and then have a set of stairs going down to it. Unfortunately price out weighed want. :(

The problem with burying one is, they aren't strong enough, they won't take the weight of the soil. The strength is in the four corners, not the top and sides. Another consideration is condensation, they can actually develop water droplets inside if not insulated and have either air conditioning or a desiccant to absorb the moisture. Also, the wood floors are treated with anti-fungal agents and insecticides so an overlay of some kind would be desirable ...... plywood works fine.

The problem with burying one is, they aren't strong enough, they won't take the weight of the soil. The strength is in the four corners, not the top and sides. Another consideration is condensation, they can actually develop water droplets inside if not insulated and have either air conditioning or a desiccant to absorb the moisture. Also, the wood floors are treated with anti-fungal agents and insecticides so an overlay of some kind would be desirable ...... plywood works fine.

I had all that planned out in my head. Which was going to be the expensive part. The can I can get from a buddy for about 1k.

I had all that planned out in my head. Which was going to be the expensive part. The can I can get from a buddy for about 1k.

All planned out in your head ....... hmmmm, hmmmmm.:p:D

1K is a really good price, especially if it's a single trip container, you could have probably sold it for more than you would have paid for it.

Even if it's at least what they call "wind & water tight" that would be a good price. There are different grades and people should know what they are getting.

All planned out in your head ....... hmmmm, hmmmmm.:p:D

1K is a really good price, especially if it's a single trip container, you could have probably sold it for more than you would have paid for it.

Even if it's at least what they call "wind & water tight" that would be a good price. There are different grades and people should know what they are getting.

It was a two tripper. The design had it so there was no dirt on top of it. The front of my shop is concrete the back is framed floor joist. I wanted to burry it under the framed section and basically pour the foundation across it with extra steal in it. The back 10 feet of a 40 foot container would have had about a foot of dirt on it. But that is where I was going to put the fresh air vents and dehumidifier in at. To be honest the biggest problem I ran into was the wife. :rolleyes::D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top