JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was a two tripper. The design had it so there was no dirt on top of it. The front of my shop is concrete the back is framed floor joist. I wanted to burry it under the framed section and basically pour the foundation across it with extra steal in it. The back 10 feet of a 40 foot container would have had about a foot of dirt on it. But that is where I was going to put the fresh air vents and dehumidifier in at. To be honest the biggest problem I ran into was the wife. :rolleyes::D

Sounds like that would have worked just fine structurally wise. My wife keeps asking if we can get one and turn it into an indoor shooting range. LOL!

They are already in a financial hole, loosing a house, car, all likely financed. They already now owe 100s of thousands of dollars to someone with nothing to show for it. What is another 10-20 thousand to make sure you don't starve for the immediate timeline. In a, this is not a quick fix, type disaster. I wouldn't care about money for some time years afterwards.

Homes are insured, credit is not. Whatever you charge you will be paying off. Using credit as an emergency reserve is doing more harm in the long run because trying to rebuild your life already in debt is nearly impossible. Living on credit stacks up fast, a $60 crappy motel is more than many mortgage payments.

Most people shoot for at least 6 months worth of cash for mortgage, utilities, food etc. in case of financial crisis (layoff, medical emergencies) which would be fine for survival disasters like floods and quakes.

Homes are insured, credit is not. Whatever you charge you will be paying off. Using credit as an emergency reserve is doing more harm in the long run because trying to rebuild your life already in debt is nearly impossible. Living on credit stacks up fast, a $60 crappy motel is more than many mortgage payments.

Most people shoot for at least 6 months worth of cash for mortgage, utilities, food etc. in case of financial crisis (layoff, medical emergencies) which would be fine for survival disasters like floods and quakes.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the proper insurance for an earthquake. Typing this makes me curious to check now. Most in Texas, something like 60%, citing the news, don't have proper flood insurance.

I'm not too sure what "most people" you are referring to in your post.

But...

6 months in cash on hand would equate to having 6-10 thousand in cash on hand. I'm being super moderate here at roughly 1000 in mortgage monthly. I don't think many are financial able to do this. If you do, again, your the exception.

In that case I ensure you, I'm not one of those "most people" either. I keep emergency cash, for quick food purchases locally to add to existing stock. However that's it. The rest is in 401k and savings accounts. The credit card would be used if I knew I could. If it was a permanent disaster, I won't need to pay it off, and save the cash for when they stop letting me swipe. If it's like Houston. I'll deal with it later. Honestly that cheap hotel would be far better than some of the other stuff available. That and if I can't get any further on my cash supply, and I know it will be a large bill. I would rather not entirely deplete my accounts to stay dry in a cheap motel.

I also would bet to say "most people" would be lucky to have 20 dollars in their pocket and maybe a few thousand in their accounts. Which in a disaster is useless if you can't access it.

Most in the Houston case will receive financial aid as they are likely SOL for flood insurance on both their house and vehicle(s). So in that example, using credit may not be so horrible if they'll get something later to pay for it. Survive in the now type thing.

I'm not saying this is perfect advice. I'm just stating that in a disaster, eliminating a perfectly good option like having a high limit credit card to get you through it in the case other stuff fails, seems a little poor choice. I've never experience a disaster, I hope I never will have to, but I like the idea, that from a financial aspect I have options.

However, hearing there are folks out there that may have up to 10,000 in cash on hand, makes my system look weak in comparism.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the proper insurance for an earthquake. Typing this makes me curious to check now. Most in Texas, something like 60%, citing the news, don't have proper flood insurance.

I'm not too sure what "most people" you are referring to in your post.

But...

6 months in cash on hand would equate to having 6-10 thousand in cash on hand. I'm being super moderate here at roughly 1000 in mortgage monthly. I don't think many are financial able to do this. If you do, again, your the exception.

In that case I ensure you, I'm not one of those "most people" either. I keep emergency cash, for quick food purchases locally to add to existing stock. However that's it. The rest is in 401k and savings accounts. The credit card would be used if I knew I could. If it was a permanent disaster, I won't need to pay it off, and save the cash for when they stop letting me swipe. If it's like Houston. I'll deal with it later. Honestly that cheap hotel would be far better than some of the other stuff available. That and if I can't get any further on my cash supply, and I know it will be a large bill. I would rather not entirely deplete my accounts to stay dry in a cheap motel.

I also would bet to say "most people" would be lucky to have 20 dollars in their pocket and maybe a few thousand in their accounts. Which in a disaster is useless if you can't access it.

Most in the Houston case will receive financial aid as they are likely SOL for flood insurance on both their house and vehicle(s). So in that example, using credit may not be so horrible if they'll get something later to pay for it. Survive in the now type thing.

I'm not saying this is perfect advice. I'm just stating that in a disaster, eliminating a perfectly good option like having a high limit credit card to get you through it in the case other stuff fails, seems a little poor choice. I've never experience a disaster, I hope I never will have to, but I like the idea, that from a financial aspect I have options.

However, hearing there are folks out there that may have up to 10,000 in cash on hand, makes my system look weak in comparism.

Well, maybe were close to being on the same page... Im not saying to eliminate the credit option, I have that and might use it as a last resort depending on the curcumstances. My goal would be to leave and get my family to a realatives house until things cleared up. In a disater its good to have cash on hand to get out of ground zero but from there a bank card is easier to carry and secure.

Ill admit cant recall on how much coverage my home insurance will cover, but id rather go in debt charging that $20k card on my home deductable if it came to it.

And your right, its not easy to save up 6 months of living expenses, but is is a goal of mine and others... Ive heard of the 6 month minimun rule from various people, and its an easy search on google. I dont think over a few years of working its unreasonable but yes I do understand its easier said than done. Its part of prepping, not just for natural disasters but also financial and medical emergencies that can happen to anyone anytime.

Well, maybe were close to being on the same page... Im not saying to eliminate the credit option, I have that and might use it as a last resort depending on the curcumstances. My goal would be to leave and get my family to a realatives house until things cleared up. In a disater its good to have cash on hand to get out of ground zero but from there a bank card is easier to carry and secure.

Ill admit cant recall on how much coverage my home insurance will cover, but id rather go in debt charging that $20k card on my home deductable if it came to it.

And your right, its not easy to save up 6 months of living expenses, but is is a goal of mine and others... Ive heard of the 6 month minimun rule from various people, and its an easy search on google. I dont think over a few years of working its unreasonable but yes I do understand its easier said than done. Its part of prepping, not just for natural disasters but also financial and medical emergencies that can happen to anyone anytime.

I'd use my miles card and then pay off the debt with money in the bank or the settlement from the insurance. Then use the miles to go on vacation when its all said and done. :)

For clarification when I say "cash reserve", I don't necessarily mean in your pillowcase at home. I'm speaking of reserve funds, typically in a savings or checking account, that you can access anywhere with an ATM card and/or by writing checks. That way if you need to relocate, whether temporarily or permanently, you will have something to live off of when you get there.

Keep in mind that this account should be kept with a national bank, not a local one. That way the bank where your reserve is doesn't suffer from the same disaster that you do, assuming the disaster isn't on a national scale. If it is, we will all have bigger fish to fry...

Nobody takes payment in the form of precious metals and stone for common goods and services. There is a reason we use cash in place of those things. Your gold and silver is worthless in shtf events and near impossible to carry on you.

Well we differ in opinion.
I've no doubt that in a true SHTF situation that I couldn't lay out a couple of silver/gold coins and get whatever it was I was wanting that was up for sale/barter. Gold/silver/stones even salt have been in use for currency a lot longer than paper money. Look back at late 1920's-early 30's Germany when it took a wheelbarrow full of paper to buy a can of food. Cash is fine for now and early on into SHTF but if the stock market crashes or a government fails PM's will get you more than plastic or paper.
At the end of the day every man has to do what he feels is best for him and his.

Well we differ in opinion.
I've no doubt that in a true SHTF situation that I couldn't lay out a couple of silver/gold coins and get whatever it was I was wanting that was up for sale/barter. Gold/silver/stones even salt have been in use for currency a lot longer than paper money. Look back at late 1920's-early 30's Germany when it took a wheelbarrow full of paper to buy a can of food. Cash is fine for now and early on into SHTF but if the stock market crashes or a government fails PM's will get you more than plastic or paper.
At the end of the day every man has to do what he feels is best for him and his.

well I'm all ears if you want to help me understand... every now and then I hear people say to invest in gold and I get that as a long term investment but regarding SHTF disasters...

How does one carry enough gold or silver while trying to bug out or get home to pay for anything they need along the way?

How would anyone trust someone who claims their gold is the real deal, on the spot? If I had any supplies I was willing to part with I would have no idea if your gold is real or its current value and my hunch is 98% of most people are the same. I cant imagine making it to a safe town and plopping down some gold coins at Motel 6 or grocery store and expecting the clerk to trust you when you say what those coins are worth.

How does one secure all that gold while bugging out, on the move?

How do you get to your gold if your house is destroyed or underwater?

I would say this when it comes to gold and silver in a SHTF scenario. I have some and some silver bought it along time ago when prices were down. I sure has hell wouldn't want to bug out with it. That crap is heavy as hell.

IMHO for gold or silver to be relevant in that type of situation things would have to get really bad. I mean bad to the point where no one is excepting cash anymore. Which would then mean that all currency in the world is worthless and gold and silver is the only option.

My .02

I would say this when it comes to gold and silver in a SHTF scenario. I have some and some silver bought it along time ago when prices were down. I sure has hell wouldn't want to bug out with it. That crap is heavy as hell.

exactly my thoughts, cant imagine one could carry enough to last...

IMHO for gold or silver to be relevant in that type of situation things would have to get really bad. I mean bad to the point where no one is excepting cash anymore. Which would then mean that all currency in the world is worthless and gold and silver is the only option.

I'm not an "TEOTWAWKI" subscriber but I will guess that if that was a possibility in such an event, if you even made it that far, any currency would be the least of your concerns.

I'm not an "TEOTWAWKI" subscriber but I will guess that if that was a possibility in such an event, if you even made it that far, any currency would be the least of your concerns.

True that. I just think that is the only time it would really be of benefit in a SHTF scenario. My guess is that if it got to that point most people would dump it for the cash long before it gets to the point of money being worthless world wide.

well I'm all ears if you want to help me understand... every now and then I hear people say to invest in gold and I get that as a long term investment but regarding SHTF disasters...

How does one carry enough gold or silver while trying to bug out or get home to pay for anything they need along the way?

How would anyone trust someone who claims their gold is the real deal, on the spot? If I had any supplies I was willing to part with I would have no idea if your gold is real or its current value and my hunch is 98% of most people are the same. I cant imagine making it to a safe town and plopping down some gold coins at Motel 6 or grocery store and expecting the clerk to trust you when you say what those coins are worth.

I do not wish to get into a pi$$ing contest with you. You don't think it's a good idea-fine. My wife and I do. :)

I do not wish to get into a pi$$ing contest with you. You don't think it's a good idea-fine. My wife and I do. :)
Sorry to bother you, was just asking legitimate questions. Peace.

my observation over the years on various SHTF scenarios have usually ended with more heat than light;

the variety of potentials are ever more complex, however realistic each may seem. Even what seems like a 'simple' bug-out-bag, can become unexpectedly difficult to achieve.

I don't know how to effectively plan for multiple disasters; any really massive disruption in 'normal' local social organization & supply chain of essentials, has been moderated by the supportive efforts of surrounding helpers.

Other than very few truly self supportive very un-social loners, I've seen very few make it thru their existence many seasons without some kind of imprint in the larger social order.

The backwoods type I've met have been in the Idaho-Montana outback, true survivors without the scourge of electrical era devices.
"Backwoods Bob" and "Mountain Man Mike" (names altered for convenience) were both of a particular personality that made them ill-fit for pavement of any kind, while somehow outfitting them with skills & determination to make only a few brief visits for basic necessities on the very most outskirts of our 21st century madness. As old age and decreasing physical capacity entered their lives, they adopted a solitary life style on the very edge of the electrical grid, with a very small foot print. They both had acquired skills any frontiersman of the 17th century would appreciate. Neither had anything good to say about gold or Federal Reserve Notes. One had discovered he could profitably carve marvelous kitchen implements out of the gnarled boughs of his beloved long-abandoned fruit trees on deserted homesteads in the back country.

Whatever survivalist visions we adopt for ourselves, IMHO will remain heavily influenced by unpredictable and unknowable forces beyond our control. Whether we will benefit by trade for our resources or simply perish as they are hauled away in spite of our unsuccessful efforts to retain them, is the question for that particular day.

in other words there are no guarantees no matter how much you prep at some point we are all dependent on society to help us stay alive and recover our losses.

At my age I feel lucky if I get to the kitchen in the morning.
If I went around yelling "Never Surrender", Never Die, "Eat Only the Young Ones"
and beating my chest all I would accomplish is to pull a groin muscle and maybe break a rib.
You young manly testosterone filled studly type guys go out and conquer the world.
I'll shoot anyone who comes in through the front door and I have a boat.
Other than that I need a nap.
I am with you brother as and old guy too you cover the front door I will take the back.

When your too old to do anything {81} all you can do is protect what you have as long as you can. So that may mean being quicker on the trigger as you don't have the strength or stamina to defend your self physically looters/ misc scum that'll be looking for the old and weak.. Just my 2/c :(:(

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top