JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well... I guess that depends if I have a firearm or not... And if I'm paying attention... And if I'm injured...

:rolleyes:

I think it depends on whether you expect to encounter such a threat while outside.

It is one thing to keep your eyes open for human threats, another thing to keep your eyes open for feral dogs, or a hippo when you go down to the river to fish, or to have an elephant tromp through your garden.

My point is, there are a lot of things that will happen, some of them unexpected that most people will not think will happen.

Here's something to consider when traveling: carry cash and map out the grocery and sporting goods stores that are closest to where you're staying. The moment things stabilize you may be able to get to a store, grab a few things to supplement what you already have, plop down some greenbacks and be on your way. Perhaps you could buy yourself better shelter and a few more days worth of food and fuel.

We do that when we travel , only we add book stores ... not so much for "survival" ... But just just 'cause you never know when , You might find a cool gun or book for your collection along your travels.
Or meet some nice folks who run a store.
Andy

Here's something to consider when traveling: carry cash and map out the grocery and sporting goods stores that are closest to where you're staying. The moment things stabilize you may be able to get to a store, grab a few things to supplement what you already have, plop down some greenbacks and be on your way. Perhaps you could buy yourself better shelter and a few more days worth of food and fuel.

The last thing I am going to be doing is going on a shopping trip while trying to get home.

I keep food, water, shelter and a GHB in my daily driver, and I have a 30 mile walk to get home from work. I am not going to be pushing a grocery cart or carrying multiple plastic bags like a homeless person. I have enough trouble walking with my bad back and being out of shape. I have supplies at home, I just need to get there ASAP.

I.E., if you don't have supplies, get them now, not after SHTF. It is called preparing.

The last thing I am going to be doing is going on a shopping trip while trying to get home.

If you're NEVER more than 30 miles from home, fine, but the rest of us may leave the nest occasionally. I have a championship swim meet for my son in Portland this coming weekend and I KNOW I ain't gettin' out of there quickly if the SHTF. If I was alone things would be different, but walking 126 miles home in winter with my family just isn't an option so the several days worth of supplies that I will take will need to be quickly supplemented.

Could I head east quickly ahead of most of the traffic? Perhaps, but then I'm heading in a direction that puts me in the mountains where there are no supplies and it's colder. I make no bones about being able to "live off the land" in the wilderness so if I get stopped by a road blockage there, then there is where we will likely die. Our current culture doesn't support primitive skills, and I'm too busy working for a living to practice them, so when I'm in Portland I will have cash and know where the closest stores are to the motel and to the pool and once the shaking stops I will go there first before they are completely looted, or boarded up.

If you're NEVER more than 30 miles from home, fine, but the rest of us may leave the nest occasionally. I have a championship swim meet for my son in Portland this coming weekend and I KNOW I ain't gettin' out of there quickly if the SHTF. If I was alone things would be different, but walking 126 miles home in winter with my family just isn't an option so the several days worth of supplies that I will take will need to be quickly supplemented.

Could I head east quickly ahead of most of the traffic? Perhaps, but then I'm heading in a direction that puts me in the mountains where there are no supplies and it's colder. I make no bones about being able to "live off the land" in the wilderness so if I get stopped by a road blockage there, then there is where we will likely die. Our current culture doesn't support primitive skills, and I'm too busy working for a living to practice them, so when I'm in Portland I will have cash and know where the closest stores are to the motel and to the pool and once the shaking stops I will go there first before they are completely looted, or boarded up.

I think you have a good point. I think if your far enough away from home if anything that big happens your mostly screwed. I think the best bet is to travel with enough preps with you to survive long enough for any kind of public evacuation. You probably will never make it back to your home until the hwy/road system is repaired... about a year.

I didnt think about the zoo.... I think they would all die off quickly because they dont know how to live in the wild. The dangerous ones would probably take out a person or two, but get shot soon enough.

All the feral dogs and cats will become free food.... Yuk.

That's why I pack my Wok cook book "101 ways to Wok your dog" haha hahaa.....
Seriously if it came down to it I would not hesitate to live by sacrificing my pet, I would do it discreetly though. Some will not but survival is what it is.

Being away from home is my biggest concern. We travel north and visit family on a regular basis. None of them are prepared the way I would like for them to be. I always try and carry some supplies and my wife usually brings more crap than she should. worst case scenario I would try and make it to my parents house as they always have a ton of food. tough part is they live on a island so I am sure the bridge would be outo_O

Guess it is time to have the talk with the kids and get them ahead of the game.

Being away from home is my biggest concern. We travel north and visit family on a regular basis. None of them are prepared the way I would like for them to be. I always try and carry some supplies and my wife usually brings more crap than she should. worst case scenario I would try and make it to my parents house as they always have a ton of food. tough part is they live on a island so I am sure the bridge would be outo_O

Guess it is time to have the talk with the kids and get them ahead of the game.

I can remember my parents talking to us 3 kids about being prepared and survival when we were 5, 7 & 9 years old. Dad was GB, SF & Airborne and was always giving us "talks" about how to survive in the woods, which is where 2 of us were 90% of the time.....

I live in an area that's generally safe from the direct devastating effects of most SHTF scenarios, but it will be the probable destination of many seeking safety, I expect that we would see a lot of desperate, hungry, ragged strangers coming to, and moving through, our community.
We have food for 4 for about a year (only 2 of us though, so we could house and feed some younger "help" should the need arise).

Because there will be organized relief aid at multiple locations (churches, food banks, community centers, etc...) anyone asking at my door will be sent there by me. I will also assume that they're at my door because they probably are really looking for something other than a "hand-up" (more like a hands up!) So I will be armed and very suspicious of their real motives. The local relief centers will be pretty much common knowledge by the time they get here (probably by the bus-load from Tri-Cities as it becomes overwhelmed).

Ummm, yeah, well...aren't there a few dams upriver of you or are you on higher ground?

<prepping my Hands Up, Don't shoot! sign as we speak.:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

I know what you mean but when I hear the talk I usually think of something... Else. o_O

We had that talk long ago my friend. My kids all grew up around firearms and know there way around the woods and I am sure that they could fend for themselves. But I should talk to them about there preps and putting a little bit every month towards this.

At least 130,000 people were asked to evacuate in Northern California after authorities warned an emergency spillway in the country's tallest dam was in danger of failing Sunday and unleashing uncontrolled flood waters on towns below.

<broken link removed>

This is unfortunately a good example of how things will go should an "Event" take place in the PNW, AND how things will basically shut down with in just a few minutes to a few hours, AND the power is still on! Gas stations are out of fuel, stores stripped bare, and normal services overwhelmed quickly! Lessons to be learned here and applied to your plans! Plan #1 KEEP your fuel tank(s) full:cool:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top