JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yar, but if you happen to be out visiting something far far away when it hits the fan?

Then you go as far as you can without collapsing.

Besides the fact that some of us are getting old, there are those of us who are sick or get sick or have a health condition. A good percentage of people right now have the flu or are recovering from it. Combine that with age and you have someone who is winded walking a block from the parking garage to the office - me. Then combine that with a bad knee, a bad hip or a bad back, and it is a significant problem.

Getting old sucks and sometimes getting out and "walking it off" just isn't going to happen because that can make it worse not better.

Then you go as far as you can without collapsing.

Besides the fact that some of us are getting old, there are those of us who are sick or get sick or have a health condition. A good percentage of people right now have the flu or are recovering from it. Combine that with age and you have someone who is winded walking a block from the parking garage to the office - me. Then combine that with a bad knee, a bad hip or a bad back, and it is a significant problem.

Getting old sucks and sometimes getting out and "walking it off" just isn't going to happen because that can make it worse not better.

Zachary!! You and me brother!!!!!!

Nope. I'm stayin home. Not happenin. :)

There is always that. We are working on a bucket list of things we want to do over the next 7 to 10 years. My health will give me that many years hopefully, and after about 5 more trips are checked off the list, the chances of us moving about more than 100 miles from home are slim.

Fact is us older people will be riffed a lot faster the deeper and harder that SHTF. I make no illusions about that. My intent right now is to enjoy the time we have left, not sweat it and if some level of SHTF in my lifetime, then my kids and grand kids will have the memories, and those who survive can help themselves to that pile of smoking brass you will find next to my wrecked out old body.

There is always that. We are working on a bucket list of things we want to do over the next 7 to 10 years. My health will give me that many years hopefully, and after about 5 more trips are checked off the list, the chances of us moving about more than 100 miles from home are slim.

Fact is us older people will be riffed a lot faster the deeper and harder that SHTF. I make no illusions about that. My intent right now is to enjoy the time we have left, not sweat it and if some level of SHTF in my lifetime, then my kids and grand kids will have the memories, and those who survive can help themselves to that pile of smoking brass you will find next to my wrecked out old body.

And when your kids & grandkids make it to your place, they will have the wealth of your knowledge & skills...

Yes, this is me perfectly except I have my bucket list done. We are enjoying life here at home, wife's side of family is mostly here. My health is so sucky that having the kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids around brings great joy. :D

And when your kids & grandkids make it to your place, they will have the wealth of your knowledge & skills...

This is what I am working towards; having a place where my kids can retreat to if they need it. If nothing else - i.e., no serious SHTF happens requiring evacuation/etc., and they make it to their retirement age, then they will have a choice, sell the place and add the funds to their retirement, or sell their current house and either move to the retreat, maybe building a custom house to their liking and suited for retirement.

My plan is to sell my current BOL after I retire and move further out to land better suited for a self-sufficient BOL with at least a custom built shop with a studio apartment, and work on it being self-sufficient in every way I can manage. But also to have a minimal mortgage with a short term or no mortgage at all. Then use my SSI benefits to live a mostly frugal life with some traveling while leaving the bulk of my 401K and IRAs to my children for their retirement.

As I mentioned, I already spend 80% of my time at home. When I retire, when I am in the locale (i.e., not traveling outside the state), I would be spending 99% of my time at home and my main concern in a SHTF situation is transporting my kids to my BOL.

I started a few years ago handing down some firearms to my kids and grandkids so that they can be better equipped. Even built an AR for my daughter, Mossy 500 to grandson, M1 carbine to stepson, Para P14 to son-in-law... will continue as I age but just in case I've left my collection in my will. Our property is not much, not a retreat, but that is also in the will to enrich or for one of the kids to live in. :)

We are at one of those points in our life where we will make changes that will affect how our future is. My wife was fortunate to inherit an IRA from her mother that will help supplement her SS in about 7 years. She also got some cash that will help us repair 30 years of living in our house and property,and then sell the property for a good chuck of cash that will build our retirement house and shop on our property in central Oregon in the next year, 2 at most, plus put some in the bank.

Our kids are all college educated and homeowners, and have great jobs making more money than we would have thought at their age. They have different outlooks on life, but over all they have it together pretty well.

My wife works for a non profit managing a very sucessfull retail operation. As being a non profit, the main interest is in how much you can do for them, keeping the upper management well paid, while extracting as much as you can from the employees, paying them as little as possible and virtually no benefits. She is leaving this employment soon and returning to the medical field for better pay, working conditions and being treated like a real person again.

We both have insurance policies that will leave each other or the kids in pretty good financial shape even without our personal assets, properties etc. Therefore we intend to spend as we see fit and to enjoy our golden years. Our kids and their kids are kind of at a stage in their lives where they are very busy with kids activities, and overbearing parents on the other sides, and that keeps them pretty busy. Wish we could see them more, but they have their own worlds now and will live their lives as they want too.

I want to go some place tropical, ( Belieze 2018), do some travelling in the US, Yellowstone, Platte River, and will try and winter in AZ a couple of years. All though I have lived in the west metro area of PDX most of my life, I am looking forward to moving to Central Oregon for a slower pace of life and to be around people who share similar life views.

I want to find ways to help other people in life as I age, and to be some what of an impact on youth if possible.

As far as money goes, all the money in the world could not have done anything for me when I was dying in that hospital room on a ventilator with the whole family in that ICU room. Being spared for another shot at life changed my whole outlook on the world.

Good post CoastRange57!!

BTW I worked for non-profit Air Life out of St. Charles Hospital. I was their rep in NE Oregon. While I enjoyed my work with volunteers and the public, the hierarchy did not live up to my expectations. Had a lot of problems and was advised by my general practitioner that it was my job or my health. So I resigned. Didn't know hospitals had so many backstabbers, overbearing supervisors, conflict, etc. I'm still messed up from it. Best wishes for a better life for ya'll!!

Didn't know hospitals had so many backstabbers, overbearing supervisors, conflict, etc. I'm still messed up from it. Best wishes for a better life for ya'll!!

This is true of virtually every business, agency, non profit around. People get into positions of authority and power and if people under them present any kind of a threat to them in exposing their own incompentence then we cannot have that now can we??

The main reason I became self employed for the last two thirds of my working career. I see this on a daily basis where positioning, flat out lying, devious and manipulative behavior are all pretty much standard behavior in management today. Even being self employed, if I had chosen to engage in pay offs to public officials and employees, I could have easily doubled my business volume over the last 10 years. I choose not to, still did fine and could tell the ones that wanted to do business that way to go f off.

This is true of virtually every business, agency, non profit around. People get into positions of authority and power and if people under them present any kind of a threat to them in exposing their own incompentence then we cannot have that now can we??

The main reason I became self employed for the last two thirds of my working career. I see this on a daily basis where positioning, flat out lying, devious and manipulative behavior are all pretty much standard behavior in management today. Even being self employed, if I had chosen to engage in pay offs to public officials and employees, I could have easily doubled my business volume over the last 10 years. I choose not to, still did fine and could tell the ones that wanted to do business that way to go f off.

Was self employed home inspector for 11 years before I was recruited out of volunteer position to be employee at Air Life. I have been in service all my life. I was shocked at how bad big company could be. But after I left I went back to old career working in radio communications for a biz that had 1 bozz and 1 other employee. Mucho better. Now retired and hoarding. Keeping the last shot for me! LOL

If you want to see God laugh?

Just tell him about all your plans. :s0030:

Exactly. I believe in generalities now. I have an idea of what I would like to happen, and what would be nice, but back in 2011 as I was sorting my career out and deciding what the last phase if it should be, and reeling from huge business losses in 2009, I was given that notice.

You want to worry about trivial sh*t like career, retirement..401K not doing well,?? ...Well here take this life threatening illness, spend 2 months in the hospital, another month in in rehab, learn to walk again, learn to eat again, lose 80 pounds, suffer PTSD flashbacks...now complain about your career or life...:eek::eek:

Been an interesting read to go through all 24 pages on this topic.

I've read and watched nearly every thing I can find about the Cascadia events and I still don't think I really understand what things will look like post-quake.

Here is a link to a number of articles and docs on the CSZ quake, some of which has been referenced in this thread.

RE: Ham radio. My understanding from participating in ham radio 'nets' and talking with ARES members, those repeaters that survive will be limited to emergency communications only. And then only as long as their backup energy supply lasts.

If you are planning to use a repeater to contact with family/friends, you are unlikely to be successful --- depending on your area, of course. Repeaters are privately owned and most/many have agreements with local government giving them priority. Use of a repeater is not a right, it's a privilege granted by a private person or group.

Ham radio communication for non-emergency operators in the PDX area will be limited to simplex. And, in PDX, many/most of the VHF (longer range) frequencies are also allocated to emergency response. UHF frequencies have more un-allocated frequencies, but the range is more limted (assuming the same equipment as used on VHF). Generally, UHF requires more power and a larger antenna that is as high as possible to be effective. VHF and UHF lend themselves well to local communications (0 to 5 miles simplex) and can be very light and portable.

High Frequency (HF) ham radio will provide more options, primarily long distance (50+ miles). But it requires more study / another FCC endorsement and more (and more expensive) equipment. It's is also not very portable.

Two other communication options are Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) and Citizen Band using Upper or Lower Side Band (SSB CB). Neither requires a license and SSB CB can transmit 20+ miles. MURS is unlikely to be crowded since it is a business band and it's likely that few business will be on the air (I've listended to MURS in my area and only rarely hear anything).

RE....Environmental Impact: After the fuel tank farm in NE PDX is damaged due to liquefaction of the soil, the Willamette and Columbia Rivers between PDX and Astoria may well be a toxic spill of impressive scale and damage. What will that do to the wildlife, fish, those living downstream, etc?

RE... Transportation: I suspect the waterways will be of limited value as transportation (up or downstream) because of debris (floating and submerged) and blockage by damaged bridges, vehicles, etc. PDX officials have discussed working with volunteer boat owners to help transport people across the Willamette R., but not sure how many will assist given that once their fuel is gone....that's it. Supposedly, the new Sellwood Bridge and the Tillicum Bridge are more resilient and are expected to remain standing, but the approaches may be too damaged for the passage of vehicles. Perhaps foot traffic will be able to cross safely.

Re...The Exodus from PDX to E. OR: Without roads, without fuel, without food/water/shelter en route, etc. depending on the time of year....I suspect few people are going to try this. Most will wait for help, try to assist one another...until they get desperate. Not sure how soon things could get ugly, but it will likely happen to one degree or another in one area or another. Am trying to research "lawlessness post-disaster" for a better understanding of this topic.

FEMA Region X has stated they have plans/agreement to utilize the US Navy (3rd Fleet, I think) to assist with operations along the coast. It will take at least seven days for the ships to arrive. But that's a lot of coast line to cover.

I think the CREW scenario (see link above) mentions that the PDX airport is expected to be relatively undamaged (that was a surprise to me, considering its location) and probably useable, but without fuel, its operations will be limited.

There is a four part article at the link above that discusses the impact of a CSZ quake on E. OR. It's pretty interesting, maybe a little lite on details.

My biggest takeaway was that it seems likely the entire state will be without energy for an undetermined time (weeks at least, likely more) because PDX is the hub in the energy wheel for the entire state....liquid fuel, electricity, natural gas, etc. I had a "wow" moment thinking about the entire state (and I suspect the same will happen to E. WA) left with whatever is "in the tank" regarding energy.

Then I thought of all those folks who need electric medical devices to sustain their life (respirators, dialysis, oxygen, etc)..... got a little sad.

Two entire states with no energy for agriculture, industry, medical life support, transportation, etc. The economic impact on the nation and the world......for how many years.....how do you calculate that....?

And the national effort required to respond..... staggering to think about what will be needed. Without energy in the disaster zone.....nothing much will happen.

And here's a really, really good article on one person's experience post-Katrina. I've read it several times and I highly recommend it. It certainly gave me a new perspective on what to expect, even from police or military.

Amazon.com has a video documentary (see link above) that focuses on the CSZ tsunami, but also discusses the quake in general. It is mentioned, but no real details are provided, that research shows that sometimes when a CSZ quake occurs it triggers the San Andreas Fault. How often....at what magnitude.....they don't say.

But imagine a potential event that affects, to one degree or another, the majority of the entire West Coast of the US. Wow.

RE....Being part of the solution: Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) programs exist in many NW communities and, while promoted by FEMA, are locally managed and controlled. Many succed because of the dedicated volunteers who organize, train, and prepare. If you want additional training and are interested in helping your immediate neighborhood/community, it's an excellent way to begin or expand your preparedness. It could be a way to help others without giving away any of your preps.

I'm a CERT and I plan to help my neighbors until either it's not safe to do so or they no longer need my help. But my family comes first.

Last Edited:
Great post, Trapdoor. I was planning on making an amusing comment about surviving by eating all my fat friends, but you got me thinking too seriously for that.

Yes something like that would be wrong! :rolleyes:

23afc66961119581fe63365bc5689a36caafc70c23f354f32b0637fdde7c4b08_1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top