JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Assuming it is intrastate dealings, the ATF has no requirement for a FTF deal, those are state laws, so it would be State or local police trying to set you up.
Any firearm transaction that isn't legal under state law is also illegal under federal law. That puts every firearm transaction into the realm of ATF enforcement. Yes, the ATF does try purchases that are illegal only due to state law to try and trip people up.

Just remember, entrapment is available as an affirmative defense in state court. It isn't in federal. Even the most egregious examples of entrapment are deemed perfectly fine for federal convictions.

Seems kinda odd to me, haven't made many sales as of late but after the Washington ban goes through I get a bunch of requests for now restricted items... hmmmm?
Pot is illegal in Idaho, but for some strange reason Spokane, Pullman and Ontario pot shops seem really busy for the size of the town they're in.

No way would gun shows in Idaho suddenly become popular with cash sales of items that are legal to purchase there without any traceability...

To be fair, I don't think there's a huge percentage of people that outright refuse to deal with new people with no ratings, I know I don't have such a rule. As long as someone doesn't sketch me out or make unreasonable requests, they get a chance.
Sketchy is people that would refuse to talk on the phone. Text communication only provides no way to personally vet a person. Do they have some physical issue that won't allow voice communication? Some reason they are fearful to use that most common form of communication?
Pay by personal check? Wow that's like something from 30 years ago. With so many ways to transfer money now in addition to cash (the normal way to do things), that just seems bizarre.
Definitely not the rule, but I bought a scope/base/rings set-up from a guy across the country a few weeks ago that insisted on personal check.
Me? I'll wait for a USPS money order. I cant get used to the idea of having my banking info on some internet service like venmo, or what ever else is out there. "Tapping" my card makes me cringe. I'll use my PIN thank you.

Sketchy is people that would refuse to talk on the phone. Text communication only provides no way to personally vet a person. Do they have some physical issue that won't allow voice communication? Some reason they are fearful to use that most common form of communication?
The written word is the most common form of communication.

I'm with @Aero Denezol on this one. We're talking about gun deals, not a mortgage. None of the sales I've done have been more important than hanging with my daughter, talking to my wife, taking the dog out, playing a video game or reading a book.

So, no, I don't want to talk. I'll answer all your questions in 3 minutes or less wherever I find time to answer them (probably on the crapper) - not have a 20 or 30 minute "conversation" that is jacking up the opportunity cost of the deal.

Definitely not the rule, but I bought a scope/base/rings set-up from a guy across the country a few weeks ago that insisted on personal check.
Me? I'll wait for a USPS money order. I cant get used to the idea of having my banking info on some internet service like venmo, or what ever else is out there. "Tapping" my card makes me cringe. I'll use my PIN thank you.
You don't want your bank account data sitting encrypted on a server in Texas but you'll send it plain text to a stranger across the country?

Interesting.

Tapping a card (using the rfid to pay) or swiping and entering a pin makes no difference to anyone except the people standing in line behind you. Why would using technology to speed up the transfer mechanism by which you pay make you cringe?

The written word is the most common form of communication.

I'm with @Aero Denezol on this one. We're talking about gun deals, not a mortgage. None of the sales I've done have been more important than hanging with my daughter, talking to my wife, taking the dog out, playing a video game or reading a book.

So, no, I don't want to talk. I'll answer all your questions in 3 minutes or less wherever I find time to answer them (probably on the crapper) - not have a 20 or 30 minute "conversation" that is jacking up the opportunity cost of the deal.

You don't want your bank account data sitting encrypted on a server in Texas but you'll send it plain text to a stranger across the country?

Interesting.

Tapping a card (using the rfid to pay) or swiping and entering a pin makes no difference to anyone except the people standing in line behind you. Why would using technology to speed up the transfer mechanism by which you pay make you cringe?
sorry don't have time to respond.

a guy across the country a few weeks ago that insisted on personal check.
It wasn't that many $$, 35 0r so, but a nice gentleman wanted a check
That whole project is another nightmare. (attached)
He sent the parts and asked for the check when the parts got here.
People like Jacob Kari can still be found.
Granted there are dead beats here and everywhere, but I keep finding the good ones.

701-088 Spindle, Headstock (1).jpg

Paper checks send them your name, address, bank account number, routing number and signature. It's about the least secure payment method these days.

Look into check washing. They don't even have to have the physical check, just an image such as a photocopy is good enough to empty your bank account.

Paper checks send them your name, address, bank account number, routing number and signature. It's about the least secure payment method these days.

Look into check washing. They don't even have to have the physical check, just an image such as a photocopy is good enough to empty your bank account.
Good point. The guy had a long history on gunboards so not really any concern.

Good point. The guy had a long history on gunboards so not really any concern.
That's good, but think about the entire chain that handles the check. There are bank tellers that have been caught photocopying checks that come in that they then sell to the forgers & thieves.

I've completely done away with paper checks in my life. If a purchaser requires it, I move on and get the thing somewhere else. In at least 10 years, I've not encountered a situation where a paper check was needed. I figure if it does happen and it's unavoidable, I'll get a cashiers check or money order instead. Even those aren't totally secure anymore either, but I'm at least not handing over my personal banking info.

Any firearm transaction that isn't legal under state law is also illegal under federal law. That puts every firearm transaction into the realm of ATF enforcement. Yes, the ATF does try purchases that are illegal only due to state law to try and trip people up.

Just remember, entrapment is available as an affirmative defense in state court. It isn't in federal. Even the most egregious examples of entrapment are deemed perfectly fine for federal convictions.
And this, in my honest opinion is what happened with Federal Way discount guns. The AG is such a zealot that it would not be beneath him to send in "agents" to find anything damming they could to get the store shut down. Which is precisely, with the help of the anti-gun judge; what they are doing.

Last Edited:
That's good, but think about the entire chain that handles the check. There are bank tellers that have been caught photocopying checks that come in that they then sell to the forgers & thieves.

I've completely done away with paper checks in my life. If a purchaser requires it, I move on and get the thing somewhere else. In at least 10 years, I've not encountered a situation where a paper check was needed. I figure if it does happen and it's unavoidable, I'll get a cashiers check or money order instead. Even those aren't totally secure anymore either, but I'm at least not handing over my personal banking info.
I've only written one check a year for the last 10 years or so. To the gal that we have our Costco card with. But that is a good point. I should grab a money order from here on out.

I generally shy away from people who ask me for my phone number, I politely decline and if I lose the sale then so be it.
Far too much information can be gleaned from a simple phone number nowadays.

I generally shy away from people who ask me for my phone number, I politely decline and if I lose the sale then so be it.
Far too much information can be gleaned from a simple phone number nowadays.
Plus people just tend to abuse it these days. I use a google voice number for anything other than work & family/friends communication.

Such as recently when I was shopping for a Bronco. I used the GV number to send the dealer bozos that they can spam to their hearts content, because as soon as I got the vehicle I wanted, I changed the number.

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full. There are plenty of acts which would violate state firearms laws but not federal law.

I suppose sketchy is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't need to have a phone conversation with someone but I could certainly see how someone might use that as a way to vet people.

Plus people just tend to abuse it these days. I use a google voice number for anything other than work & family/friends communication.

Such as recently when I was shopping for a Bronco. I used the GV number to send the dealer bozos that they can spam to their hearts content, because as soon as I got the vehicle I wanted, I changed the number.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Similarly, I've got a gmail for most junk mail and use the + trick to custom name all the accounts for their service, like Hueco+aero@ or Hueco+primaryarms@ … inbox tagging that compares the sending domain to the recipient domain and if there's no match, I tag it. Lets me see which services either sold my info or got hacked. Likewise, if you want to shut one down, just have any message sent to one of those go straight to junk.

Been working pretty well for me.

Worst ones wanting to skip paperwork is always cops..they always want a cheap throw away.. 9/10 requests is a cop asking. Then they get mad when you tell them state law an federal law.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads