JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same approach as we did weapons qualification in the Army ...

... No safety issues

... Rounds on target

... Shooter experience was positive afterward (not part of the Army standard, but applies when I take folks out the first time)

Again, .22 is nice to start with, but Army has qualified many soldiers with 9mm as the first gun they shoot. Grandfather shared the challenge folks were having with 30-06 M1 qual in bootcamp Oct/Nov '41.
Holding a modicum of experience with what is required of military "qualification", I would be forced to concede that starting someone on a .38 would never be an evident detriment toward the proud achievement of that lofty standard. :s0140:

NO ONE mentioned that what she needs right now is NOT what she will eventually end up with.

What she needs right now is a very accurate, easy to operate .22.

When she gets really good with it, start venturing out. Not even a wadcutter .38 target load at this stage of the process.

C'mon guys.

We do use .22s with some new shooters / other students. We have some we let people use. But often, people want to shoot the gun they plan on shooting. They often do not have a bunch of time to spend at the range and want to shoot the gun they plan on shooting. Some don't have access to a bunch of guns and may not have the finances to buy a .22 and then buy another gun. This is pretty common.

Many shooters do just fine, starting with a 9mm or .380. With some, we find it is better to start with a SIRT gun (non-firing laser). Every new shooter is unique.

We do use .22s with some new shooters / other students. We have some we let people use. But often, people want to shoot the gun they plan on shooting. They often do not have a bunch of time to spend at the range and want to shoot the gun they plan on shooting. Some don't have access to a bunch of guns and may not have the finances to buy a .22 and then buy another gun. This is pretty common.

Many shooters do just fine, starting with a 9mm or .380. With some, we find it is better to start with a SIRT gun (non-firing laser). Every new shooter is unique.
The "have to buy two guns if you start with a .22" has been brought forth here more than once. A nice shooting .22 will hold its value and can be relinquished when the "step up" gun is decided upon (that is if economy rather than marksmanship is the goal of training). We want the new shooter to enjoy shooting, and it may be more likely than not that the .22 learned on is kept (and even cherished). Learning on a .22 does not impose a mandatory sentence of an unbearable financial burden.

If we have a disagreement, I believe it is in our goals for any new shooter. I see an inclination to "go with the customer" toward getting them "up and running" with their new and probably only gun, most likely in a defense platform/caliber. Perfectly understandable.

My goal for a new shooter is to make them the best shot they can be.

Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.
If you're interested I have a lead on a 1993 vintage hammerless Ruger SP-101 for $450.

Being married to yours truly who has a plethora of guns she has shot a fair number. In the past, when it came to carry she would defer to me. I know she can handle a 9mm. I know she can handle .38 and 45colt. We are not talking a complete n00b, but someone new to carrying. .357 at this time has been a no go. follow up shots are too slow. First one usually has hit paper though. Eventually, I think a 357 is where I would be more comfortable, though I am open to suggestions. .22 auto is really not a helpful suggestion. And she wants a revolver, so unless by some magic I convince her to take a sig p226 or 220, it isn't going to happen. She does not want a small gun. She wants a medium revolver. (not like my super redhawk, thats too heavy)

Being married to yours truly who has a plethora of guns she has shot a fair number. In the past, when it came to carry she would defer to me. I know she can handle a 9mm. I know she can handle .38 and 45colt. We are not talking a complete n00b, but someone new to carrying. .357 at this time has been a no go. follow up shots are too slow. First one usually has hit paper though. Eventually, I think a 357 is where I would be more comfortable, though I am open to suggestions. .22 auto is really not a helpful suggestion. And she wants a revolver, so unless by some magic I convince her to take a sig p226 or 220, it isn't going to happen. She does not want a small gun. She wants a medium revolver. (not like my super redhawk, thats too heavy)
All steel, don't go aluminum.

Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.
coach gun with aguila mini shells?

i've got a ruger sp101 4" barrel 5 shot 357
it fits all hands. you could do bird shot
38 special
38+p
or 357 depending on what she's comfortable with

coach gun with aguila mini shells?
I have a shockwave loaded with Aguila mini slugs and an opsol adapter. I have yet to be able to induce a malfunction. Actually without the adapter I was only able to induce 1. And let's say I was having to work hard I was holding it sideways and slowly pumped it while shaking it side to side. They feed fine when you rack it like you mean it.

If your S&W is too big for your hands you need different grips. And if your gun has a square butt grip frame there may be no aftermarket grips that fit your hand. You need a gun with a round butt grip frame. Where the grips on the gun are small the configuration of the grip frame is clear .Otherwise you have to take the grips off and look. The specs on the SW website on each model give the grip frame type. So does the box the guns come in. Most smiths in current production have round butt grip frames because they can a accommodate grips designed for either frame type. Most older smiths have square grip frames.

I usually advise adults interested in getting into shooting using a revolver to start with a 357 mag. Any .,357 mag can also shoot the much lighter .38 sp and 38 sp +P loads, all of which have a true diameter of .357". But start with .38sp wadcutters. These are so soft shooting that in a standard size revolver they feel almost like firing .22s. Then move up to standard .38sp. And then to .38 sp +P and finally to .357 mag if desired. The .,38 sp is the least expensive revolver caliber to shoot by far except for 22. And 22 is not a great choice for self defense. Or for dealing with wolverines.

Get a standard SW .357 mag revolver in one of the two medium frame designs. K or L.
I don't recommend the smaller J frame Smiths because they are difficult to shoot well. Discouraging to learn. Less pleasant to shoot. Or lightweight guns, because the lighter the gun the worse the recoil. You only need smaller grips, not a smaller gun. The K frame is the lighter frame with a traditional balance. The L frame has an under lugged barrel and a muzzle heavy balance. Even in snubby versions the extra weight balanced toward the muzzle really absorbs recoil so that even full power ..357 mag loads are pleasant to shoot. My own edc is a SW model 686 snubby . This is a stainless steel gun with adjustable sights. The top of SWs line in standard production guns in .357 mag. In the L frame, heavier medium size revolver. If I had to do it again, I would get a 4" barrel. You lose so much energy from the short barrel that you get only about as much power from full power .357 mags as you would get from a 4" semi auto firing 9mm +P. I get around this by carrying ammo designed specifically for short barrel revolvers, but that's expensive. The 686 is an L Frame gun. The equivalent in the lighter K frame is the model 66. The L frame guns stand up better to heavy use with heavy loads. But few people are going to use their 66 enough for that to be an issue. What matters more to most is that the 686 weighs more and has a muzzle heavy balance. Which you prefer is mostly a matter of personal choice.

Within the two frame sizes of SW specific models vary by whether they are stainless steel or blued and whether they have full sights and if so, whether they are adjustable. Go to the SW website and check out the options.

The three brands of revolvers of universally recognized virtue still in production are Colt, SW, and Ruger. The Colts now cost way more than the other two for guns of equal virtue. Friends do not recommend friends get a Taurus, say many of us. Other people who have had good ones say different. I prefer SWs because they have better smoother trigger pulls than Rugers, even after you replace the springs on the Rugers. The Rugers are usually heavier built and more indestructible than the equivalent Smiths. . However its hard to go wrong with either. I havent owned any of the current models of Ruger .357s so will leave it to someone else to tell you about them.

By the way, revolvers are easier for women to carry concealed on the hip. Their shape complements ours .

Last Edited:
Here is how this all started in Post #1:

I am suggesting a revolver
You did not say she wanted a revolver (only that she likes the swing out cylinder and being able to see if it is loaded, more on this in a moment). 80 posts later you keep dribbling out key information like...
I have a couple dozen revolvers.
That would have been helpful to know from the beginning. If you have a Model 10 K frame (K and L use the same grips) the simple answer is to find (non-rubber, as we now know) that would help her finger placement. As @OldBroad44 noted, a round grip frame will likely be helpful in grip selection (great post by her btw). We don't have the benefit of knowing which 24 or so guns of yours she has tried out, so we are all shooting in the dark. Like @OldBroad44 my wife has a 686 2 1/2" that she likes, but it is not a carry gun for her. She is small and has small hands, but no idea how they compare to your wife's.

We are trying to help, but you are doling out important info very slowly, like she is already a shooter (this did not come across in the OP), that she is set against a semi-auto, etc.
I have a west German p226. Honestly trying to get her to try it out.
How did we get here? A 226 is too large for my hands. Beautiful gun, but DA/SA, full-sized frame guns are not exactly kind to small hands.

I won't speak for others, but the OP came across to me that you were recommending getting a small revolver (for small hands) to a new shooter, "my wife isn't a gun person," which in my experience, almost always means some type of J Frame, 5 shot, small, light gun. The number of times I've seen men suggesting something like a beautiful short-barreled K or L frame or similar gun for a female significant other totals zero; my wife works part-time at a gun counter, and her total is zero as well. You may be the first, which is great.

Others are suggesting trying GP101s. It seems finding slim grips for either this or a round butt K Frame will be your best bet. Since you have a Model 10, you are halfway there. Sincerely, good luck with your her quest.

Sidenote: One of the most established trainers in the country with 50 years of training experience was handed a revolver that was checked for empty by the student, another instructor, and the main instructor. While demonstrating trigger press, he launched a round into the sky. Stainless gun, nickel casing. Visual and physically check chambers.

The "have to buy two guns if you start with a .22" has been brought forth here more than once. A nice shooting .22 will hold its value and can be relinquished when the "step up" gun is decided upon (that is if economy rather than marksmanship is the goal of training). We want the new shooter to enjoy shooting, and it may be more likely than not that the .22 learned on is kept (and even cherished). Learning on a .22 does not impose a mandatory sentence of an unbearable financial burden.

If we have a disagreement, I believe it is in our goals for any new shooter. I see an inclination to "go with the customer" toward getting them "up and running" with their new and probably only gun, most likely in a defense platform/caliber. Perfectly understandable.

My goal for a new shooter is to make them the best shot they can be.
Sorry, but I'm not blessed with shooters that have unlimited funds and time to spend at the range. Yes, it may be an unbearable financial burden for a new shooter who is already investing in all the equipment needed to start shooting, joining a range/paying for range time, paying for classes (we conduct a free class in the foundations each month where we are), and all the other expenses. Some shooters don't have a gun yet, which they eventually plan to use for self-defense, and they are looking at sub-optimal quality choices. It is already a stretch when we recommend investing an extra $200 for something that will suit them better. It is not in the cards to recommend a few more hundred dollars for another gun.

But we have worked with countless new shooters that start with a 9mm and do fine.

Almost none of the shooters we work with are interested in being "the best shooter they can be" by punching paper with a .22. They want to have safe gun handling skills, be able to shoot a defensive caliber well, and be comfortable with their tool.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top