JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This all started back in the 90's when my wife and I were newly married. Her parents were ping ponging between Fairbanks AK, where my wife was born and raised; and Western WA. They were trying to decide where the wanted to ultimately settle down for their golden years. My wife's dad was a "gun guy" and we had many good conversations over the years. He had a modest gun collection of handguns and rifles. He was worried about traveling around with some of them he had in the RV they were staying in at the time. I ended up storing a long gun and several handguns for him during this period into the late 90's. One of the handguns was a little Ruger Bearcat. With his permission, I cleaned and oiled that little gem up and shot it several times. I was smitten! I never forgot the little bearcat after it left my possession and I even flirted with a newer version around 2009 which I deemed too heavy and clunky.
Long story short, my wife never forget my affection for the little bearcat. It has been in the possession of one of her brothers in Ak, as both her parents both have long since passed. I occasionally have browsed around for one but never found the right deal until last night. We were over at my mother's for dinner and my wife puts a box in my lap as we were conversing in the living room before we ate. I was confused as it was too early for my birthday. She says it was supposed to be for Christmas but it got delayed in shipping. I open the package up and waded through the tissue paper that was hiding the coveted little Ruger Bearcat. I knew right off it was her dad's as I had lovingly fondled it many times. I was mostly speechless. It took a lot of doing and 2 ffl dealers in two different states and my wife taking the Sporting Systems training to bring it to fruition. Special shout out to my wife, her brother and Jeff and crew at Sound loan! I am now the proud owner of an unmolested ( no transfer bar mod) 1968 first issue Ruger Bearcat. Pics to follow!

Last Edited:
Pics as promised

IMG_5328.jpeg IMG_5331.jpeg

Probably my greatest regret was letting mine go. A Christmas gift from my Dad when I was 12 years old (also first year production). It was strapped to my hip on every hunting and camping excursion, and I took special pride in swaggering into a restaurant "heeled". With Ed McGivern's book open on my bedspread, I learned "The Highwayman's Roll" . My "finishing gun" when big-game hunting, and a sure snake killer.

In a time when Dad and I didn't think much of each other, I sold the Bearcat to a schoolmate.

I have bought three since, paying at or near asking price (and they keep going up!), but none shot to perfect point of aim as the first one did.

I can't hardly look at your pictures very long. :(

Dad had a 1967 Bearcat I remember him tearing his palm all up one night trying to show off his fanning technique to a couple friends. Mom just shook her head. Anyway it was a favorite of mine to sneak out when dad wasn't looking. As time went on Dad became very ill and he divided up his firearms between us three boys. The Bearcat was not to be seen again. I think it went to one of the second wifes boys. I won't say here how that set with the three of us.

Anyway a couple years before Olie gave up in Salem my son and I were in there and someone had just brought a beautiful in the box early Bearcat in to be sold on consignment. I asked Olie to hold it for me for a couple days and I would be in to pay the asking price he called the seller and assured him I would follow through (Olie and I had known each other for decades by that time I even sold some of my handmade knives in his shop on Market Street in the early 80's) So a couple days go by and I go in and pick it up and it came with a VERY nice Leather holster that fits on my Western Rig I had made for my 1858 Remington. SO that was a big plus.

The absolute WORST thing Ruger did to the Bearcat was attach those adjustable sights that looked like they came off a Super Blackhawk.

All they needed to do was strengthen the rear of the strap and dovetail it for a simple, small drifting rear. I'd've bought one.

This one is a 1968 model judging by the serial and if I remember correctly it used to be pretty dead on at 10-15 yds with cci standard velocity. I cleaned her up and ran a cylinder full of colibri 20 gr through it in the shop at 5 yds. It printed a tidy little group at point of aim. Rodents have been put on notice as there is a new sheriff in town. Ok, same sheriff but a new shootin' iron!

The absolute WORST thing Ruger did to the Bearcat was attach those adjustable sights that looked like they came off a Super Blackhawk.

All they needed to do was strengthen the rear of the strap and dovetail it for a simple, small drifting rear. I'd've bought one.
I agree, the adjustable sights on a Bearcat are a not well thought out afterthought. If a feller is at the range, this pistol can work fine, and in some cases the adjustable sights might be quite beneficial. But that horrendous front sight... It fits in none of my Bearcat holsters. And I agree, a drift-adjustable rear sight like the earlier Single Sixes would have been the cats meow on these tiny little revolvers.

My adjustable sight Bearcat went down the road long ago. Fortunately, my subsequent non-adjustable Bearcat has sights so perfectly regulated to me and the revolver, I'll never ask for adjustable sights on a Bearcat ever again.

Now, I'm gonna get back on track with the OP. I think the OP's gift is truly marvelous as is the accompanying story.😍 Thank you you for sharing.

This, from a previous thread elsewhere...

I owned one of these adjustable sight Bearcats. The idea was good, but what I discovered, was the towering front sight required a morphodite holster to accomodate that sight. The little revolver went down the road, and shortly after, I finally found a conventional Bearcat which the sight matched my sight picture with the point of impact.

P1020416_zpslg93lpso.jpg P1020418_zpsyqdtu3fp.jpg

Last Edited:
I agree, the adjustable sights on a Bearcat are a not well thought out afterthought. If a feller is at the range, this pistol can work fine, and in some cases the adjustable sights might be quite beneficial. But that horrendous front sight... It fits in none of my Bearcat holsters. And I agree, a drift-adjustable rear sight like the earlier Single Sixes would have been the cats meow on these tiny little revolvers.

My adjustable sight Bearcat went down the road long ago. Fortunately, my subsequent non-adjustable Bearcat has sights so perfectly regulated to me and the revolver, I'll never ask for adjustable sights on a Bearcat ever again.

Now, I'm gonna get back on track with the OP. I think the OP's gift is truly marvelous as is the accompanying story.😍 Thank you you for sharing.

This, from a previous thread elsewhere...

I owned one of these adjustable sight Bearcats. The idea was good, but what I discovered, was the towering front sight required a morphodite holster to accomodate that sight. The little revolver went down the road, and shortly after, I finally found a conventional Bearcat which the sight matched my sight picture with the point of impact.

View attachment 1815439View attachment 1815442

So, you're tellin' me, "keep shoppin' ", right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top