JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.
I would go to a big box shop and let her handle many guns. Preferably one that will let her dry fire. Or if not big box friendly rental or LGS with lots of stock.

Recently watched a guy buy a double action revolver for a woman and she could barely pull the trigger without some help for the hammer. I mean really couldn't pull the trigger.

Re Puma, bears, wolverine, have you thought about a coach gun and then have pistol as a backup? Don't know if she would be able to have the coach gun nearby/in vehicle/wherever. Drop dead simple to use and very capable obviously. I'm not suggesting coach gun for on person carry.

Last Edited:
I would go to a big box shop and let her handle many guns. Preferably one that will let her dry fire. Or if not big box friendly rental or LGS with lots of stock.

Recently watched a guy buy a double action revolver for a woman and she could barely pull the trigger without some help for the hammer. I mean really couldn't pull the trigger at all.

Re Puma, bears, wolverine, have you thought about a coach gun and then have pistol as a backup? Don't know if she would be able to have the coach gun nearby/in vehicle/wherever. Drop dead simple to use and very capable obviously. I'm not suggesting coach gun for on person carry.
I have a couple dozen revolvers. This is for her, for daily carry in the woods. She wants a revolver in a chest rig. My wife can easily pull the trigger on a model 10. She did not like where her finger rests on the trigger as it is kind of on the tip past the pad. She wants a smaller grip. But she is no shrinking violet. Strength is not the issue. Finger length is.

The shockwave is available in house.

Last Edited:
A pistol for a wolverine??? Unless she's a great shot, I'd probably recommend a .410 semi-auto. Light recoil, basically point and shoot.
Well, she is open to a pistol which is a huge win. But she isn't going to garden with a saiga 410 on her back. Or a shockwave or a cannon. I mean we are going from not wanting to carry a pocket knife to a revolver. Besides my youngest daughter is adopting the saiga.

That vaquero is probably worth a trial run. Not sure how many hot options are available in 45LC
I've got some that fall between .44mag and .454 at the top end. Quite sure my wife wouldn't shoot those. I load .45 colt in a number of loads, though I really would feel more comfortable with a double action for her. My 454 redhawk is too big physically.

First off, good deal that she has a new interest in guns. This is great to hear. I'm going to spin the conversation a bit just for some food for thought. Completely unsolicited so scroll past if not interested.

My wife and I work with new and new lady shooters frequently, like multiple times per month. Small revolvers are almost always the wrong answer. Out of 100s of female shooters, the number that settled on a small revolver and were happy with it might make it to two hands, but likely less than five. The major problem is you have a heavy trigger pull on a light gun, which is nearly impossible for a new shooter to keep on target while pulling the trigger. And most of them have sights that beyond suck, not all but most. Have you ever noticed that no one recommends a small revolver for a new male shooter? That is because they suck for them too (most of the time).

There are some great options out there. The S&W EZ series (and optics-ready Equalizer) is a very good option. Available in 9mm and .380, easier to rack than the other popular options (Sig 365, Hellcat, G43(x), etc). The sights are real sights and the trigger is amazing (it is not a striker fired gun, it is an internal hammer). You can get them with or without a manual safety (and it is a well-designed one), and if anyone tells you grip strength is an issue because of the grip safety, they are wrong. It takes about 1.5 pounds of pressure to defeat the grip safety, you just have to learn how to properly grip (any) gun. I have had six lady shooters on the line and all of them had some type of EZ that they were shooting. They are easy to strip and clean and we have found them to be as reliable or better than the others in this class.

We have worked with many new shooters with all types of hand sizes and grip strength issues and this gun is usually a good fit for them. They are popular so many ranges have them as rentals to try out first, which I would recommend. I would definitely recommend shooting a revolver before buying. I have had many new shooters, male and female, shoot a small revolver, and after five rounds, they were done. Even with standard .38 loads, the recoil can be uncomfortable.

Sorry, my wife tells me when given a choice of A or B...I usually pick C. Hope this helps and good luck on your her quest.
@Wombat of Doom I would reach out to WillametteWill directly and have a live conversation as it sounds like he and his wife have a wealth of knowledge in the area you are seeking advice. I would also reach out to @Cerberus Group on here as he has discussed revolver use in depth, teaches courses on their use and I remember a post of his not long ago about working with some folks on a revolver specific 357 loading.

I also encourage your wife to take a handgun course. My wife was only comfortable shooting a P365 and Glock 42 and definitely wasn't comfortable handling firearms regardless of my efforts. She took a course from Bellatrix Training (highly recommend and also a good resource for recommendations if your not in her area) and quickly gained confidence and proficiency with a pistol. After taking the course we went gun shopping together and she picked out a Glock 45 for herself. After learning proper handgun fundamentals she found that shooting a sub-compact pistol was harder to manipulate and be proficient with vs. a compact or full size handgun. If you don't have a proper foundation built with the fundamentals it will be extremely difficult for your wife to pick out a proper handgun for herself.

Standard reply for a smallish revolver is a Ruger SP101 in .357 with the 4.2" barrel and fiber optic sights. Should help contain the recoil with its heft and the rubber grip helps even further. Start at 38 special and work your way up. For heftier rounds or a more immediate option, get a compact grip for the GP100 and try that out. More heft reduces recoil even further.

For bigger critters tough, I'd consider a long gun. All sorts of options from lever action .357 to AR would be reasonably viable. But it sounds like you're set on a revolver so I differ to my first paragraph.

Good luck with the search and hope she finds her Goldilocks!

@Wombat of Doom I would reach out to WillametteWill directly and have a live conversation as it sounds like he and his wife have a wealth of knowledge in the area you are seeking advice.
We would be happy to help anyone who is interested and in need. My bride @SouthernGirl is involved in multiple ladies shooting groups and teaches both genders as well. I love revolvers and larger ones (as in mid-sized like S&W K frames) with nice triggers can be shot well by most people. Finding different grips may also help. Try before you buy is highly recommended.

Sig P226 Legion SAO with optic of course. That way when she decides she doesn't like it you can have it and go buy her a S&W Shield EZ. She'll be happy, you'll be giggling all the way to the range every time you go. WIN / WIN

Has she tried a Glock 48/43X? Many women and smaller-handed shooters I have known favor them.

I have seen many smaller-handed shooters try double stack semi-autos (Beretta M9, Sigs, Glock 19) and have trouble operating it.

A 4" S&W K frame sounds like a great option. 581, 586, etc.

@Wombat of Doom I would reach out to WillametteWill directly and have a live conversation as it sounds like he and his wife have a wealth of knowledge in the area you are seeking advice. I would also reach out to @Cerberus Group on here as he has discussed revolver use in depth, teaches courses on their use and I remember a post of his not long ago about working with some folks on a revolver specific 357 loading.

I also encourage your wife to take a handgun course. My wife was only comfortable shooting a P365 and Glock 42 and definitely wasn't comfortable handling firearms regardless of my efforts. She took a course from Bellatrix Training (highly recommend and also a good resource for recommendations if your not in her area) and quickly gained confidence and proficiency with a pistol. After taking the course we went gun shopping together and she picked out a Glock 45 for herself. After learning proper handgun fundamentals she found that shooting a sub-compact pistol was harder to manipulate and be proficient with vs. a compact or full size handgun. If you don't have a proper foundation built with the fundamentals it will be extremely difficult for your wife to pick out a proper handgun for herself.
My wife isn't going to be using a small gun. She has shot more than you might think. She has 0 interest in subcompact guns. 0 interest in semiautomatic guns.. She wants a small grip. We are talking bigger revolvers in a chest rig. Because of an anaphylactic allergy to rubber on my part, no rubber grips are options. We both need to be able to touch it.

Well, she is open to a pistol which is a huge win. But she isn't going to garden with a saiga 410 on her back. Or a shockwave or a cannon. I mean we are going from not wanting to carry a pocket knife to a revolver. Besides my youngest daughter is adopting the saiga.
Gotcha. Best of luck. If my (now ex) wife ever told me she wanted a gun, my first thought would have been no she will probably use it on me. :D

Sig P226 Legion SAO with optic of course. That way when she decides she doesn't like it you can have it and go buy her a S&W Shield EZ. She'll be happy, you'll be giggling all the way to the range every time you go. WIN / WIN
I have a west German p226. Honestly trying to get her to try it out. She can manipulate a slide fine. I don't think my wife needs an ez. Assume she is stronger than most men I know and you will not be wrong

How does she intend to shoot the revolver?

Will she pull the hammer back each time, every time? Or does she intend to fire it in double action mode each time? Because that is a skill that usually takes folks a fair amount of time and practice to acquire.

And what if she needs to shoot Mittens or Mr Bear right G'darn now and there isn't time to pull the hammer back? Will she be able to make hits under stress when her life depends on it?

Perhaps a trip to a range with a good rental counter is in order and let her try a bunch of stuff and she what she thinks she's going to be most comfortable with...and capable with...if/when the time comes.

It sounds like a K or L frame would fit the bill for her.

For revolvers, stocks and grips are critical for reliable, accurate shooting.

I've got several revolvers she can try...no charge.

I've been finding a lot who shoot striker fired type pistols, have weaker hands. Put a couple hundred rounds through a double action revolver, and see how the hand feels. Not from the recoil, but the heavy double action trigger pull...gives the trigger finger a good workout.

Women can actuate the trigger on a revolver really well.

My tiny handed wife still shoots a Glock 17. Tiny and light guns suck to actually shoot, if being able to shoot it is the intention, bigger and heavier is better.

Someone pointed out a 1911 has a very slim grip with the single stack mag. That might work out best.

If revolvers are what she wants, lots of good choices.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top