JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For some folks...it ain't wise to raise the question of ...
You gotta ask yourself... :D

As for the OP.....
I'd go with a Smith and Wesson K frame , or L frame revolver....or the Ruger GP100 series...
Many after market grips for just about any hand size or shape are out there for those models.
Andy

I wear men's size small gloves. I'm 5'8" and 165#. I'm a little fella. Even with little hands, I can handle the monster black grip on the HK USP45. Have her practice with a pistol, start on a 22lr. The 1911 has a small grip.
I have found numerous times that first time female shooters, when given a chance, prefer a 4" revolver, where .357 allows a lot of flexibility of load (38 spc, +p, 357).

Recommend to do shop around and let the hold them. Best if you can do a rental to get feel during recoil.

Bears are small and relatively rare around here. Puma and wolverines are more likely as the wolverine keeps showing up close in. I want to shoot it as it is plainly not afraid of people. but by my sighings I would wager it is around 35 pounds to 45 pounds. I'd like to get her up to .357. But at this point, something is better than nothing.

My wife wants a revolver and is recoil sensitive enough to think about follow up shots.

Guys, my wife has never ever before expressed interest in a gun. 9mm / .38spl is going to about top out her recoil comfort. .327 federal might be okay. I do plan on getting her up to .357.

Really like my 327 mag. Issue is 32mag is anemic at best if you wanted to work with reduced load. Experienced shooters are surprised by the 327 mag. It has quite the flame ball

Recommend trying Ruger sp101 or single seven for fit. Sp101 will tame recoil better. Recommend going 357, where 38 spec has a lot of variability (learned myself on wadcutters)

Either I read this thread too fast, or I am pretty disappointed in all the responses here.

NO ONE mentioned that what she needs right now is NOT what she will eventually end up with.

What she needs right now is a very accurate, easy to operate .22.

When she gets really good with it, start venturing out. Not even a wadcutter .38 target load at this stage of the process.

C'mon guys.

Either I read this thread too fast, or I am pretty disappointed in all the responses here.

NO ONE mentioned that what she needs right now is NOT what she will eventually end up with.

When she gets really good with it, start venturing out. Not even a wadcutter .38 target load at this stage of the process.

C'mon guys.
Too fast, page 1.
I wear men's size small gloves. I'm 5'8" and 165#. I'm a little fella. Even with little hands, I can handle the monster black grip on the HK USP45. Have her practice with a pistol, start on a 22lr. The 1911 has a small grip.

My wife enjoys her older S&W model 60 3" 38 special . Excellent double action and awesome single . Can get many a grip combos .

IMG_20240130_110423921.jpg

I hesitate to say what someone else needs....Since I ain't them.
And while I generally do suggest that a new shooter starts out with a .22LR firearm....
It is also important to start with a firearm that holds the new shooter's interest.

In this case the new shooter is somewhat familiar with firearms and has a stated preference for a certain style..
So...starting off with a .357 magnum K or L frame with .38 Special loads ( Non + P rated ) may not be a bad thing to do.
Andy

C'mon guys.
Life is filled with disappointment…

I have had first time shooters start with low .38 spc loads without issue.

I agree it is the best approach to start with a .22, but something like a Ruger sp101 in .22 to match to the 'similar' is spendy and most don't have the funds

"I have had first time shooters start with low .38 spc loads without issue."

Credit given for acknowledging starting with a .22 is the best approach. As to "without issue" I would ask how that absence can be measured, and what is considered an "issue".

I consider any influence that is a detriment to learning ACCURATE shooting is an "issue". Starting a beginner with a .38 is just plain wrong, and becomes even more of a mistake when the decision maker knows its is not the best approach. Even more so when a .22 is so easily available to do what is agreed the "best" for the neophyte.

There is no way to measure whether or not starting with a .38 has permanently affected the marksmanship of a pupil, but those that first learned to shoot a .22 to a degree of skill would get my bet on a wager.

"I have had first time shooters start with low .38 spc loads without issue."

Credit given for acknowledging starting with a .22 is the best approach. As to "without issue" I would ask how that absence can be measured, and what is considered an "issue".

I consider any influence that is a detriment to learning ACCURATE shooting is an "issue". Starting a beginner with a .38 is just plain wrong, and becomes even more of a mistake when the decision maker knows its is not the best approach. Even more so when a .22 is so easily available to do what is agreed the "best" for the neophyte.

There is no way to measure whether or not starting with a .38 has permanently affected the marksmanship of a pupil, but those that first learned to shoot a .22 to a degree of skill would get my bet on a wager.

Same approach as we did weapons qualification in the Army ...

... No safety issues

... Rounds on target

... Shooter experience was positive afterward (not part of the Army standard, but applies when I take folks out the first time)

Again, .22 is nice to start with, but Army has qualified many soldiers with 9mm as the first gun they shoot. Grandfather shared the challenge folks were having with 30-06 M1 qual in bootcamp Oct/Nov '41.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top