JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.

S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 are medium framed wheelguns with a plethora of aftermarket grip support to customize the fit to her needs.

They are also outstanding new shooter platforms that will continue to be excellent defensive guns as they grow in skill and confidence.

K frame Smith 357 and start her out on 38 specials. All kinds of grip options on the aftermarket. She'll find one that fits like a glove.

I wear men's size small gloves. I'm 5'8" and 165#. I'm a little fella. Even with little hands, I can handle the monster black grip on the HK USP45. Have her practice with a pistol, start on a 22lr. The 1911 has a small grip.

Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.
Is this for easy access in the house to go deal with a situation outside? To carry on her while outside? Both? Some other scenario? Not knowing what skill level your wife has with firearms, it is far easier to teach/learn/use a long gun than a handgun if you want to be more effective than just making noise. Hitting a live animal in motion is a difficult task for even an experienced shooter with a handgun, especially while under duress.

First off, good deal that she has a new interest in guns. This is great to hear. I'm going to spin the conversation a bit just for some food for thought. Completely unsolicited so scroll past if not interested.

My wife and I work with new and new lady shooters frequently, like multiple times per month. Small revolvers are almost always the wrong answer. Out of 100s of female shooters, the number that settled on a small revolver and were happy with it might make it to two hands, but likely less than five. The major problem is you have a heavy trigger pull on a light gun, which is nearly impossible for a new shooter to keep on target while pulling the trigger. And most of them have sights that beyond suck, not all but most. Have you ever noticed that no one recommends a small revolver for a new male shooter? That is because they suck for them too (most of the time).

There are some great options out there. The S&W EZ series (and optics-ready Equalizer) is a very good option. Available in 9mm and .380, easier to rack than the other popular options (Sig 365, Hellcat, G43(x), etc). The sights are real sights and the trigger is amazing (it is not a striker fired gun, it is an internal hammer). You can get them with or without a manual safety (and it is a well-designed one), and if anyone tells you grip strength is an issue because of the grip safety, they are wrong. It takes about 1.5 pounds of pressure to defeat the grip safety, you just have to learn how to properly grip (any) gun. I have had six lady shooters on the line and all of them had some type of EZ that they were shooting. They are easy to strip and clean and we have found them to be as reliable or better than the others in this class.

We have worked with many new shooters with all types of hand sizes and grip strength issues and this gun is usually a good fit for them. They are popular so many ranges have them as rentals to try out first, which I would recommend. I would definitely recommend shooting a revolver before buying. I have had many new shooters, male and female, shoot a small revolver, and after five rounds, they were done. Even with standard .38 loads, the recoil can be uncomfortable.

Sorry, my wife tells me when given a choice of A or B...I usually pick C. Hope this helps and good luck on your her quest.

Kimber micro 9 is a fantastic option too. Also many of the 380's on the market are easy to manipulate by folks with large or small hands.

Revolvers are good and all, but it takes some work to be proficient with them both with accuracy and reloading (quickly).. it's usually the go to for what a lot of guys get their gals.. but with the current subcompact 9's and 380's, I don't really see the point to the revolver mentality anymore.

Find her a good trainer and allow her to try a lot of guns and calibers. It took me a lot of trainer hours and a lot of guns to find the right match. Recoil is not my friend. But I now have 3 semi-autos I love and am confident with.

I wear men's size small gloves. I'm 5'8" and 165#. I'm a little fella. Even with little hands, I can handle the monster black grip on the HK USP45. Have her practice with a pistol, start on a 22lr. The 1911 has a small grip.
I wear men's small and my wife's hands are smaller considerably. She wants a chest rig to carry on the acreage in case of angry critters.

I am mystified here. With the above listed animals, what handgun would be effective with which she would be comfortable? BEARS? I sure want something serious for that. Cannot address the "vitality" of a puma or a wolverine but I would question using anything smaller than 10mm for such. Could be wrong on that I admit. If she just wants to scare the critter off and a couple of shots are not effective, what is her next option? Shooting even a black bear with a smallish caliber seems questionable to me. Just my unsolicited opinion.

First off, good deal that she has a new interest in guns. This is great to hear. I'm going to spin the conversation a bit just for some food for thought. Completely unsolicited so scroll past if not interested.

My wife and I work with new and new lady shooters frequently, like multiple times per month. Small revolvers are almost always the wrong answer. Out of 100s of female shooters, the number that settled on a small revolver and were happy with it might make it to two hands, but likely less than five. The major problem is you have a heavy trigger pull on a light gun, which is nearly impossible for a new shooter to keep on target while pulling the trigger. And most of them have sights that beyond suck, not all but most. Have you ever noticed that no one recommends a small revolver for a new male shooter? That is because they suck for them too (most of the time).

There are some great options out there. The S&W EZ series (and optics-ready Equalizer) is a very good option. Available in 9mm and .380, easier to rack than the other popular options (Sig 365, Hellcat, G43(x), etc). The sights are real sights and the trigger is amazing (it is not a striker fired gun, it is an internal hammer). You can get them with or without a manual safety (and it is a well-designed one), and if anyone tells you grip strength is an issue because of the grip safety, they are wrong. It takes about 1.5 pounds of pressure to defeat the grip safety, you just have to learn how to properly grip (any) gun. I have had six lady shooters on the line and all of them had some type of EZ that they were shooting. They are easy to strip and clean and we have found them to be as reliable or better than the others in this class.

We have worked with many new shooters with all types of hand sizes and grip strength issues and this gun is usually a good fit for them. They are popular so many ranges have them as rentals to try out first, which I would recommend. I would definitely recommend shooting a revolver before buying. I have had many new shooters, male and female, shoot a small revolver, and after five rounds, they were done. Even with standard .38 loads, the recoil can be uncomfortable.

Sorry, my wife tells me when given a choice of A or B...I usually pick C. Hope this helps and good luck on your her quest.
We were looking at a moderate sized revolver. (A model 10 4 inch isn't a subcompact by any means.) But really. 38spl is as small as can feasibly do anything to the critters that come through. My sig p226 might be a viable option but she likes the ability to swing a cylinder out to verify it is unloaded. Heck, my 357 ruger gp100 might even get conscripted. Nastiest recoil I recall is a ruger lcr in .38spl +p. And I will shoot .454 any day. But we are looking at moderate sized revolvers and I own a few.

I am mystified here. With the above listed animals, what handgun would be effective with which she would be comfortable? BEARS? I sure want something serious for that. Cannot address the "vitality" of a puma or a wolverine but I would question using anything smaller than 10mm for such. Could be wrong on that I admit. If she just wants to scare the critter off and a couple of shots are not effective, what is her next option? Shooting even a black bear with a smallish caliber seems questionable to me. Just my unsolicited opinion.
Bears are small and relatively rare around here. Puma and wolverines are more likely as the wolverine keeps showing up close in. I want to shoot it as it is plainly not afraid of people. but by my sighings I would wager it is around 35 pounds to 45 pounds. I'd like to get her up to .357. But at this point, something is better than nothing.

My wife wants a revolver and is recoil sensitive enough to think about follow up shots.

Guys, my wife has never ever before expressed interest in a gun. 9mm / .38spl is going to about top out her recoil comfort. .327 federal might be okay. I do plan on getting her up to .357.

Last Edited:
A pistol for a wolverine??? Unless she's a great shot, I'd probably recommend a .410 semi-auto. Light recoil, basically point and shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top