JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For more domesticated locales (where one does not have to rely on the local fauna to serve as bait), a failsafe bait proven for any wild carnivore is tuna fish or cat food (canned type).

It stinks, they like it, and the cans are tidy, can be perforated and hung from a string inside box trap Refreshing bait is "plug and play." Tuna comes equipped with oil or water to lay a lead-in trail.

Happy trappin'! Check your regs on snuffing a Wolverine. (Don't think I'd be talkin' 'bout it much.) Idaho might be just fine with it. Oregon denied their existence despite multiple reliable sightings until recently when hair samples were collected and trail cams verified. (But Oregon also claimed wild hogs were infesting the state while having to go to Wisconsin to get a picture of one to publish.) :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
For more domesticated locales (where one does not have to rely on the local fauna to serve as bait), a failsafe bait proven for any wild carnivore is tuna fish or cat food (canned type).

It stinks, they like it, and the cans are tidy, can be perforated and hung from a string inside box trap Refreshing bait is "plug and play." Tuna comes equipped with oil or water to lay a lead-in trail.

Happy trappin'! Check your regs on snuffing a Wolverine. (Don't think I'd be talkin' 'bout it much.) Idaho might be just fine with it. Oregon denied their existence despite multiple reliable sightings until recently when hair samples were collected and trail cams verified. (But Oregon also claimed wild hogs were infesting the state while having to go to Wisconsin to get a picture of one to publish.) :rolleyes:
The pig population did grow at rather alarming rate, due to hard work and technology we have been pig free for about 4 years

Another vote for a K Frame Smith. My wifes gun is a Model 19 2&1/2" and it has the small factory grips and she has very small hands. She shoots .38+p's with no problem. Shes not a fan of the .357 loads though! A longer 3 or 4" might be better if one can be found. They are getting pricey. I paid $200 bucks for hers and it came with the factory round butt combat grips though they were too big for her hands. That was a WHILE back though.

I haven't read the thread, just the OP. I'll go back and catch up, I promise. :D
3" barreled J-Frame. There's a 38 Special in the classifieds here that I was looking at.
Hogue makes some grips that are longer than the frame and are not very thick.
My wife bought an Airweight with Crimson Trace grips on it that are pretty good for small hands, too. However the weight and the longer barrel of the steel gun vs. the Airweight means the steel gun is easier to shoot. Plus if it's an older gun it's likely smoother in DA than a newer version.
Here's a pic or two of ours.
Left to right; Airweight with Crimson Trace that cover the back of the grip frame, 60-15 with Hogue one piece wood that leaves the back of the frame exposed, and Hogue Overmold that cover the frame.
The one I recommend is the Hogue wood. The grip is small, but very well shaped and it has the shortest trigger reach.
Shooting 38 Specials out of that 3" barreled gun is about like shooting a 22.

airweight.jpg 60 wood.jpg output (2).jpg

Last Edited:
Now my wife isn't a gun person, but with there being a wolverine that visits my property and bears, and puma and such, she wants a gun. I am suggesting a revolver, (she likes the ease of seeing if it is loaded of swinging out a cylinder and you pull the trigger, it goes bang) but she has tiny hands. What's a good double action revolver for folks with really diminutive hands? Mine are small, but whereas I have fat, short fingers, hers are shorter and delicate. the S&W model to was a smidge too big.
Oh the wife gun paradox… my wife started with a semi auto 9mm for mine, the recoil scared her so bad she started crying after 1 shot😂😂😂.

After much trial and error with various 380 and 22lr, she landed on a S&W 43c. It's small and DAO, small hand wife recommended… Good luck with the hunt!

OK, I'm all caught up now.
My wife isn't going to be using a small gun. She has shot more than you might think. She has 0 interest in subcompact guns. 0 interest in semiautomatic guns.. She wants a small grip. We are talking bigger revolvers in a chest rig. Because of an anaphylactic allergy to rubber on my part, no rubber grips are options. We both need to be able to touch it.
Then a Security-Six or a K-Frame is in your future.
If your S&W is too big for your hands you need different grips. And if your gun has a square butt grip frame there may be no aftermarket grips that fit your hand. You need a gun with a round butt grip frame. Where the grips on the gun are small the configuration of the grip frame is clear .Otherwise you have to take the grips off and look.

By the way, revolvers are easier for women to carry concealed on the hip. Their shape complements ours .
Agreed! The round frame gives a better/easier shape to hang on to.
But a 4" round butt is not an easy gun to find. A square can be reshaped to a round by a competent gunsmith/machinist, but that's a different story.

I'd pass on anything heavier, like a 686 or a GP100. They are possibly easier to shoot, but they are bigger and heavier than needed, and quite likely wanted for toting around.

Small grip and competent power?
I'll stick with my first post, only modifying it with the addition of a 60-15, and I highly recommend those Hogue wood grips.

I haven't read the thread, just the OP. I'll go back and catch up, I promise. :D
3" barreled J-Frame. There's a 38 Special in the classifieds here that I was looking at.
Hogue makes some grips that are longer than the frame and are not very thick.
My wife bought an Airweight with Crimson Trace grips on it that are pretty good for small hands, too. However the weight and the longer barrel of the steel gun vs. the Airweight means the steel gun is easier to shoot. Plus if it's an older gun it's likely smoother in DA than a newer version.
Here's a pic or two of ours.
Left to right; Airweight with Crimson Trace that cover the back of the grip frame, 60-15 with Hogue one piece wood that leaves the back of the frame exposed, and Hogue Overmold that cover the frame.
The one I recommend is the Hogue wood. The grip is small, but very well shaped and it has the shortest trigger reach.
Shooting 38 Specials out of that 3" barreled gun is about like shooting a 22.

View attachment 1815691 View attachment 1815692 View attachment 1815693
He has those. I think the issue is his wife somehow needs a gun.

reeee!

Good luck, at least she wants a handgun. I attempted for years to get my wife to have a handgun to keep by her bedside when I was away. She was initially receptive to this idea but she could not pull the trigger in any of my handguns unless it was used as single action. I took a S&W model 60 into Shooters Service in North Portland, (some distance away but knew they did excellent work). They did not disappoint and the model 60 had a silk smooth double action and my wife could pull it without any trouble (she's a little bitty thing). HOWEVER she had never shot it and the first time she did she said didn't like it. So off to buy another gun, this time a Colt 1911 380. She could pull the trigger but it was too loud, so I bought a Browning 1911, 22, which she shot and liked- FINALLY!

Good luck, at least she wants a handgun. I attempted for years to get my wife to have a handgun to keep by her bedside when I was away. She was initially receptive to this idea but she could not pull the trigger in any of my handguns unless it was used as single action. I took a S&W model 60 into Shooters Service in North Portland, (some distance away but knew they did excellent work). They did not disappoint and the model 60 had a silk smooth double action and my wife could pull it without any trouble (she's a little bitty thing). HOWEVER she had never shot it and the first time she did she said didn't like it. So off to buy another gun, this time a Colt 1911 380. She could pull the trigger but it was too loud, so I bought a Browning 1911, 22, which she shot and liked- FINALLY!
Bingo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top