JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shoot way more than she does, but she does enjoy shooting. Saturday she suggested that we go to the Indoor Range. It was -28F that day. We go to WRENCO ARMS in Sandpoint. At that time they only had 1 lane open. I told her that Id be her "pit bubblegum" and load her mags for her while she shot. She spent some time with her carry Kimber Micro 9 Desert and her newish Kimber Ultra 9 (in Purple). She ran about 200 rnds through the 2 of them. When we were done, she saw the poster for the Enhanced CCW class.

After wandering around the shop, she came up to me and said "sign us up for the class. We'll make it our Valentines gift to each other".

Thats my girl!

About 50 years ago, the pre-Mrs. Merkt was offered the chance to fire a Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver. She popped off and few shots, handed it back to me, and that was it.

The 1st time that we shot on a date, I handed her my Howa 1500 308, pointed her at a old fire extingusher about 60 yrds away. She popped that bugger on the 1st shot.

A lot of females seem to be naturally good shots. Years ago, a friend needed money and was trying to sell me his S&W model 13. We lived in the country. I walked 20 steps out from the back door and hung a 12-inch box on a fence post. Came back and loaded the 357 and handed it to my then girlfriend. She dropped 5 of the six rounds in the box. I turned to my friend and said, "Sold."
Now years later, girlfriend now wife, and 2 daughters all have been through handgun and concealed firearms training. All are good shots.
I don't try and sneak into the house at night anymore. 😉

173243d1262995828backpa.jpg

WOW...200 rds through for the session, I'm impressed.

Aloha, Mark

The 1st time that we shot on a date, I handed her my Howa 1500 308, pointed her at a old fire extingusher about 60 yrds away. She popped that bugger on the 1st shot.
Amazing shot! Unfortunately, my wife hasn't shown much interest in shooting despite numerous attempts to persuade her over the past few years.

When we were first married my wife used to enjoy shooting jackrabbits with me. Then she wanted a small revolver, so I bought her a S&W Chief Spl. She liked the size but the first time she pulled the trigger, it was near dusk and after that big ball of fire rolled out of that 2" barrel, it was years before she would pull a trigger again with her eyes open. :eek:
I finally got her over flinching, first with an AirSoft, then a CO2 pellet pistol in our garage range. :) Now, she even shoots her 9mm,with a .22 adapter. She says it's just like shooting the pellet pistols. ;) (I can't keep the magazines loaded fast enough.):rolleyes:

My dad, who taught hand to hand and shooting to "army air force" recruits in WW II, very promptly taught his wife to shoot. And his son and daughters when we came along. He was 6' 6". His attitude was that his wife was unlikely to be attacked when they were together. But they were apart most of every day when he was working plus off on missions for weeks or months, even a year at a time. His only way of protecting his wife was to teach her to protect herself. My mother learned almost instantly and became an excellent shot.

Dad claimed that women were on average better natural shots than men. He claimed because ultimately it depended on fine motor control of the muscles in the trigger finger to pull in a very controlled way with an exact orientation and coordinate with eyes viewing sights. Very much the same sort of thing as required in threading a fine needle.

I found out the hard way that the greater fine hand coordination of woman on average was reality. The first lab tech I hired, a man, could not do one of the routine operations needed in our lab work. And he couldn't learn it either. After that I spent the first ten minutes of any interview of a lab tech or prospective student in making sure that they could do the critical task. All women and about 80% of men could do the task with no problems . This would presumably mean that the average for fine motor skills for women might be higher than for men but the median might be the same for both.

A lot of females seem to be naturally good shots. Years ago, a friend needed money and was trying to sell me his S&W model 13. We lived in the country. I walked 20 steps out from the back door and hung a 12-inch box on a fence post. Came back and loaded the 357 and handed it to my then girlfriend. She dropped 5 of the six rounds in the box. I turned to my friend and said, "Sold."
Now years later, girlfriend now wife, and 2 daughters all have been through handgun and concealed firearms training. All are good shots.
I don't try and sneak into the house at night anymore. 😉
My dad, who taught hand to hand and shooting to "army air force" recruits in WW II, very promptly taught his wife to shoot. And his son and daughters when we came along. He was 6' 6". His attitude was that his wife was unlikely to be attacked when they were together. But they were apart most of every day when he was working plus off on missions for weeks or months, even a year at a time. His only way of protecting his wife was to teach her to protect herself. My mother learned almost instantly and became an excellent shot.

Dad claimed that women were on average better natural shots than men. He claimed because ultimately it depended on fine motor control of the muscles in the trigger finger to pull in a very controlled way with an exact orientation and coordinate with eyes viewing sights. Very much the same sort of thing as required in threading a fine needle.

I found out the hard way that the greater fine hand coordination of woman on average was reality. The first lab tech I hired, a man, could not do one of the routine operations needed in our lab work. And he couldn't learn it either. After that I spent the first ten minutes of any interview of a lab tech or prospective student in making sure that they could do the critical task. All women and about 80% of men could do the task with no problems . This would presumably mean that the average for fine motor skills for women might be higher than for men but the median might be the same for both.
Women can multi task so beware !

Amazing shot! Unfortunately, my wife hasn't shown much interest in shooting despite numerous attempts to persuade her over the past few years.
At first my wife hated firearms in general and now has several purple ones and understands just like a hammer or torque wrench they are tools but can provide food and safety and still retain value !

I think on average women are more sensitive to loud noises and recoil. Women have thinner skin, meaning bruising more easily. And pain nerves less well shielded. Even newborn baby girls are more irritated by minor negative stimulus to the skin. In areas in the north under situations where wool long johns are worn by men, they aren't usually available for women unless lined with a thin layer of cotton or something else. Apparently few women can tolerate a high % wool worn in direct contact with skin without it itching unbearably. An exception seems to be wool from Merino sheep. That's why unisex wool beanies, neck garters, and socks are made from Merino wool. I've just discovered a company that makes three different weights of beanies, neck gaiters, and other garments made from high % Merino wool. Minus 33. Amazon carries. Lots of colors too, not just the leS's pretend we're in the military colors.

Anyway, if you want to teach your wife or daughters to shoot, start them on a full size 22 rifle and handguns. And full weight handgun. No J frames or airweights. No dinky little guns. Make sure everyone is wearing hearing and eye protection. Shoot the gun in front of her so she knows what to expect before she shoots. Spend a full session or two teaching her gun safety and handling and dry firing with no ammo in the room before you do the first live fire training. My choice of first live fire sessions is shooting a paper plate that is about ten feet away without even using the sights initially. It builds confidence .

I shoot way more than she does, but she does enjoy shooting. Saturday she suggested that we go to the Indoor Range. It was -28F that day. We go to WRENCO ARMS in Sandpoint. At that time they only had 1 lane open. I told her that Id be her "pit bubblegum" and load her mags for her while she shot. She spent some time with her carry Kimber Micro 9 Desert and her newish Kimber Ultra 9 (in Purple). She ran about 200 rnds through the 2 of them. When we were done, she saw the poster for the Enhanced CCW class.

After wandering around the shop, she came up to me and said "sign us up for the class. We'll make it our Valentines gift to each other".

Thats my girl!
Aw, that's so sweet. You both enjoyed a fun day at the shooting range and created a special memory.

When we were first married my wife used to enjoy shooting jackrabbits with me. Then she wanted a small revolver, so I bought her a S&W Chief Spl. She liked the size but the first time she pulled the trigger, it was near dusk and after that big ball of fire rolled out of that 2" barrel, it was years before she would pull a trigger again with her eyes open. :eek:
I finally got her over flinching, first with an AirSoft, then a CO2 pellet pistol in our garage range. :) Now, she even shoots her 9mm,with a .22 adapter. She says it's just like shooting the pellet pistols. ;) (I can't keep the magazines loaded fast enough.):rolleyes:
I have a similar issue when I put my CMMG 22 Conv kit in my ARs.
But it's a good problem to have. 😃

Recently my wife asked me why I DONT have a DESERT EAGLE.
After a moments thought, I told her that we should go get 1 right NOW.

She just laughed.

Hey. It was worth a shot. 😄

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews