JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is your shtf choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of my current weapons, it would be the Mini-14 ranch. Rugged, reliable, easy to maintain in the field, and uses military ammo. I do want to trade it up to the newest version in tactical garb, since the new ones have reasonable accuracy. I was thinking about an AR variant, but I really dig the Mini-14 and don't see much advantage in changing.

sling shot, dont need to carry ammo. just fire rocks at bad guys and run away screaming "you cant catch me, im the gingerbread man!".

sorry just in one of those moods.

Lever-action is a good one, the only real problem with it is you're going to be stuck firing last century's ammunition, which defaults to either underpowered smallbore (.38/.357 or .30-30), or over-powered big-bore (.45-70).
"

My lever is a 308Win

how is a bolt gun limited? a good 300 win mag will take out the first assailant, and the two standing behind him coming through your front door. Your AR or AK simply does not have enough energy. The second shot goes through the wall next to the door for that guy who thinks he is safe there.

So when shtf comes about are you taking a bolt or semi if you can only take one what would it be? Bolt,semi,pump,lever,shot shells,centerfire or rim fire? And why do you choose that weapon?

I'll pitch the 12 ga shotgun. It's true that .22's cost much less than shotgun shells. And you can carry more. But they are less versatile. There is only one common and popular caliber that will work in ALL situations you might encounter. Shotgun. 12 ga is the most common, ammo everywhere in the country. Boom, EMP lights go out. You are out scrounging for food and all you see are skinny and tiny pigeons or quail. They are spooking easy as everyone is onto them as a potential food source. Now, you may think you can hit a little moving quails head at 30-50 yards as it starts to get air and fly away, but most likely all you'll do is scare all the rest of the game away with your first inaccurate shot and be hungry. Who would even try a shot at a bird in flight with a .308 or 30-30? With a 12 ga, you'll get shot spread out and be much more likely to be eating in high style later.

You're finishing up the pigeon BBQ at home and the neighbors, attracted by the great food smell and their own hunger, come over like zombies during the apocalypse. With their own .22's and near insane from hunger....intent to take whatever you have that smells so good (they don't know that they missed out and only bones remain). Do you want to have a 12 ga with a heavy buckshot load (you wer smart enough to pull out the ammo you used on the pigeon) in this scenario or a .22? I can assure you that many many police carry loaded 12 ga shotguns throughout this county for those very specific potential zombie hordes (not zombies, but regular people out of control ...in this case going for a cooking Quail or pigeon :), whereas I do not believe any police dept in this country or any other has taken that extra step to economize in these tough times by converting a force from 12 ga to .22's yet, but I may be behind the times. Furthermore, entire states have restricted and eliminated rifles in big game hunting, but they allow shotguns, as they are less likely to overshoot or kill someone in a ricochet. So for big game or small, in a tree or flying away from you, the shotgun is the top performer in the all around game, which is what you will need in a SHTF scenario where something has caused it all to fall apart.

So now that we have that narrowed, which shotgun specifically? Mossberg 500-590 series or Remington 870s would easily be top choice for price-performance. Benili pump if price was no object and pump was what you wanted. Pumps are simple and work accurately and very reliably, and a stainless steel Marine magnum could also be the leading pump choice due to ease of maintenance and rust. Yet the Saiga 12 or a Vepr 12 get hunted in Russia, and would be worthy of consideration. They have magazines and thus very fast reloading times. In fact, for me, I'd pick a Vepr 12 shotgun. The reliability of a AK and much better performance and more rounds/faster firing in a firefight than a pump, but perhaps a tad less performance in shooting a quail or squirrel.

That's what I'd choose.

As WA State is under a full bore Communist inspired "Assualt Weapon Ban"
Read the text of the Bill even your grand daddy's 30-30 and Colt Six Gun qualify as "Assualt Weapons"
I now recomend that you aqquire a 6mm Rem single shot rifle and a flint fired single shot pistol.
This is NOT a JOKE,,,It is a Warning

Can't beat an old battle rifle like the M1 Garand. 8 shots of 30-06 as fast as you can pull the trigger can do some serious damage...

Gotta say I like your thinking. I'm considering picking up a good quality "tanker" version in .308. I was weaned on the Garand back in the day and think that the combination of carbine-length and the availibility of ammunition in current military use make it a pretty good option. Would need to do a lot of practice to smooth out the reloading process, though. That can be tricky under stress.

I'm planning on trying to build a carbine length 30-06 "tanker" out of a receiver and cut down barrel. I know it will take some work to get all the parts, but should be a fun setup once done.

I'll pitch the 12 ga shotgun. It's true that .22's cost much less than shotgun shells. And you can carry more. But they are less versatile. There is only one common and popular caliber that will work in ALL situations you might encounter. Shotgun. 12 ga is the most common, ammo everywhere in the country. Boom, EMP lights go out. You are out scrounging for food and all you see are skinny and tiny pigeons or quail. They are spooking easy as everyone is onto them as a potential food source. Now, you may think you can hit a little moving quails head at 30-50 yards as it starts to get air and fly away, but most likely all you'll do is scare all the rest of the game away with your first inaccurate shot and be hungry. Who would even try a shot at a bird in flight with a .308 or 30-30? With a 12 ga, you'll get shot spread out and be much more likely to be eating in high style later.

You're finishing up the pigeon BBQ at home and the neighbors, attracted by the great food smell and their own hunger, come over like zombies during the apocalypse. With their own .22's and near insane from hunger....intent to take whatever you have that smells so good (they don't know that they missed out and only bones remain). Do you want to have a 12 ga with a heavy buckshot load (you wer smart enough to pull out the ammo you used on the pigeon) in this scenario or a .22? I can assure you that many many police carry loaded 12 ga shotguns throughout this county for those very specific potential zombie hordes (not zombies, but regular people out of control ...in this case going for a cooking Quail or pigeon :), whereas I do not believe any police dept in this country or any other has taken that extra step to economize in these tough times by converting a force from 12 ga to .22's yet, but I may be behind the times. Furthermore, entire states have restricted and eliminated rifles in big game hunting, but they allow shotguns, as they are less likely to overshoot or kill someone in a ricochet. So for big game or small, in a tree or flying away from you, the shotgun is the top performer in the all around game, which is what you will need in a SHTF scenario where something has caused it all to fall apart.

So now that we have that narrowed, which shotgun specifically? Mossberg 500-590 series or Remington 870s would easily be top choice for price-performance. Benili pump if price was no object and pump was what you wanted. Pumps are simple and work accurately and very reliably, and a stainless steel Marine magnum could also be the leading pump choice due to ease of maintenance and rust. Yet the Saiga 12 or a Vepr 12 get hunted in Russia, and would be worthy of consideration. They have magazines and thus very fast reloading times. In fact, for me, I'd pick a Vepr 12 shotgun. The reliability of a AK and much better performance and more rounds/faster firing in a firefight than a pump, but perhaps a tad less performance in shooting a quail or squirrel.

That's what I'd choose.

I always liked the idea of a Rem. 870 or my Saiga 12 during SHTF. Shotguns are so versatile. Last night though kind of made me rethink carrying one as my "one gun". I had ordered 250 rounds of 12 gauge 2-3/4" 00 buck. Arrived yesterday. After realizing how much space 250 rounds of 12 gauge takes up, and that I think the case weighed around 28 pounds, it may be as great of an idea as I used to think. I could pack my AR and even 1000 rounds would take up far less space, and I'm sure weigh around the same (plus or minus a few pounds). I'd rather have 1000 rounds of ammo than 250. Just my 2 cents.

Another point just came to mind, when using a military style semiauto. When using it as the military does, without the logistical supply the military has just how long does it take to run out/low on ammo in a field combat shtf situation. These weapons are designed for use within a squad of men with similar weapons, solo with the ammo you have on you how long could you last?

The idea of a lone determined man with a rifle and a handful of ammo besting a group only really happens in fiction.

Going to have to stick with my magnum bolt gun, a long range alternative is probably the only way to come out on top against small caliber semi autos.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top