JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^
You would be surprised what a 9mm will do especially out of a 16" barrel. Too bad the pics are not still up but here is a great review on .22 at 300+ yards, <broken link removed>

In general each person has to decide what SHTF means to them. ONLY once that is done can one even begin to prep for it. Example it would do me no good to plan for urban conflict or E&E from a urban area (think west side) since that is not where I live or what I do. Now on the other hand it does not do the apartment dwelling person in a city any good to prep like they live in the country on 20 acres...............

^
You would be surprised what a 9mm will do especially out of a 16" barrel. Too bad the pics are not still up but here is a great review on .22 at 300+ yards, <broken link removed>

Sorry to the op for going more off topic but I have to call BS on that article. I used to have a 10 22 with a tac sol barrel and I got the range out to 260, confirmed with a rangefinder and with several types of ammo, would BARELY penetrate a water bottle let alone an entire partialy frozen turkey wrapped in three layers of clothing.

This was the route I decided on also. One of the biggest reasons for me is cost, both of ammo and the weapon themselves. There's also the no recoil which is nice to be able to draw a smiley face at 50 yards in a few seconds. Lastly having only 1 bag of ammo seems dreamy in a shtf scenario. Of course a larger, normal rifle round would be more effective but in the big picture I shoot a 9mm better and I can't really afford cans of the bigger rounds

Sorry to the op for going more off topic but I have to call BS on that article. I used to have a 10 22 with a tac sol barrel and I got the range out to 260, confirmed with a rangefinder and with several types of ammo, would BARELY penetrate a water bottle let alone an entire partialy frozen turkey wrapped in three layers of clothing.

I shoot 300 yards on a regular basis with my 77/22 with SS ammo. I have no problem penetrating water bottles with that combo. I can not speak for the turkey I have never tired that.

My range,
DSC_0008-2.jpg

The 77/22 in the back
DSC06840.jpg

You are close enough that when it warms up you are welcome to come shoot.

Sweet rifles! With that 10 22 the holdover was like 4 feet at 260. I could squeeze the trigger, rub one out, play a game of risk and reaquire the target just in time to watch the impact:) Might have to take a day trip this summer.

Another option if you want ammo/mag compatibility are the Beretta 92 and the Cx4 carbine - they go together like Bacon and Eggs. The Cx4 is a handy little gun (I wouldn't waste money on the .40 or .45 versions unless you really like being stuck with 10 round mags) and was made to take the 9x series magazines. It can be set up for left or right hand eject, left or right hand operation (fully ambidextrous). Of course, the Cx4 was a much better value at $500 than the current going price for a new gun (about $750-800).

Personally - I prefer the route of a real rifle and a sidearm - I like the 5.56 AR with a Glock 9mm or .45ACP combo. I can see why, for simplicity sake someone might go with one caliber/mag setup - but if I need/want a rifle-size gun, I prefer shooting rifle caliber rounds from it.

Or you could look at the MechTech Carbine kits used to be 325-350$, most common are for the Glock and 1911s, have played with them a little both the Glock and 1911 units we tried were 100%, running 40sw / 40super - 45ACP / 45super-and 460 Rowland just for fun. I think a 40sw unit would be great, but Glock offers those 33 round mags for the 9mm, and fairly reasonable, now that would be fun.

ATI now offers their Just Right Carbine in .45ACP. Its big advantage over the other pistol calibers is that it's totally quiet when suppressed, since it's inherently subsonic. I haven't made the leap yet, but it's probably the pistol-cal carbine that I'll be getting.

As far as choosing rifle vs. carbine, nobody ever told me that I could only have one!

..... .45ACP. Its big advantage over the other pistol calibers is that it's totally quiet when suppressed, since it's inherently subsonic.

You can get/make SS in almost any caliber so not really an issue. Also with .45 you need a much larger volume can to get decent suppression.

Of course no gun is "totally quiet" but .22 bolt gun with SS ammo comes very close. On an AR you still get a fair amount of port/action noise coming from then and while quite 9mm/.45 suppressed is still much louder then .22 suppressed.

I have shot my OA 9mm right next to a guy that has a .45 caliber one in the same configuration (uppers both made by SRT). The total noise level was equal but the .45 had a slightly deeper tone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top