JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so, i got to browsing the internet the other day stumbled upon an ar type rifle i think it was olympic arms. it was a 9mm that used glock mags. wanted to see what other people thought of the idea of having a handgun (glock 19 in my case) and a carbine that could use the same ammo and mags in a SHTF scenario.

ill say it before everyone else people are gonna say that 9mm aint good enough i actually think its smarter to carry the same ammo for the carbine and the sidearm i say go for it if thats what you feel

I would like to have a carbine in a pistol ctg. also. I've been looking and can't decide which to get. Lever .357, lever .45colt or semiauto .45acp. May have to get all of them.

I like the looks of these and they seem priced reasonably.
<broken link removed>

My Buddy has one in 9mm. I helped him sight in one of them holographic red dot scopes. Well in just a few minutes we were knocking down bowling pins at 30 feet faster than any handgun I have ever shot. LOTS OF FUN.
Mike

Well it depends on what school of thought you have.

Some people say that it is a good idea to have matching calibers/mags. In a way it makes good sense.

The other school of thought is if you are going to carry a rifle it should be in a more powerful caliber. Even with long barrels pistol calibers will never be as powerful as rifle calibers.

Dont know if I would used this combo for SHTF but it sure is fun. If you ever make it to the East side of the state you are more then welcome to try them.

DSC_0010.jpg

There are many pistol caliber combos out there.

I assume you are talking about mine. I built it.

The base gun is an Olympic Arms K9-GL rifle.
The upper has a SRT integral silencer built into it.
Olympic Arms Frish Rifle length rail
CAA stock
Ergo Grip
C-More 4 MOA sight
Cheep VFG
Surefire G2 with 1" scope ring
Homemade sling

When I built it a few years ago it cost about $2300.

The only bad SHTF gun is no gun at all, even the .22 can be effective for defense and survival..I really like your one caliber 2 gun idea,its said the 9mm isn`t affective but not many people on its its business end would agree.

My .02 is that any advantage that you would gain by consolidating calibers/mags would be negated and then some by having a greatly underpowered rifle for most rifle applications. The Sub 2000 can fill a certain niche though for much cheaper. Or buy the AR and get a rifle caliber upper as well.

alot of good opinions so far. i do already have an ar, ak and hk91 so... ultimately i suppose getting a pistol caliber carbine is just an excuse to get another firearm haha. and as far as a real shtf situation i don't see myself engaging at rifle distances, obviously anything could happen but my goal would be avoidance and to try my best to not be noticed. now, i understand we could argue till the end of time about what is appropriate in an infinite number of specific scenarios.

true, i guess my response would be i'm a much better shot with a rifle or carbine as opossed to a handgun at say 100yds. i figurre 100 is a gray area for me personally. if a confrontation occurs within that distance breaking contact would become increasingly difficult the closer the problem. under ideal circumstances i would have all of my firearms at my disposal and could simply select one at leisure but short of a video game.. well that's not gonna happen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top