JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I take it you mean the kind that have an exhaust hose? They have come a LONG way in the last decade or so but, still of course are not as nice as plain old window mount. They also tend to be quite a bit more expensive do to how they are made but, they do work. Many apartments now have it written in lease that people can not have window units. Main reason is lawyers. They are afraid someone will stick one in a window in such a way it will fall out and hit someone. Then of course lawyers want someone else to pay.:mad:
One of my Wife's siblings just moved to a new rental that was like this, no window units. They dd build in what look like dryer vents holes in several of the rooms for just this. So people could hook that exhaust hose to these which beats putting it in a window. Their apartment was almost triple dig inside but at least they could keep a bedroom at whatever temp they wanted to sleep at night. Bought a big enough unit to keep up. Only thing I did was show them to insulate the exhaust hose since that sucker will get warm sending out some heat and humidity. So if someone can't put a window unit in those things will at least let them live comfortable when its hot. That family member was the only one who listened to my warning when they said this heat was coming and bought their unit before it hit here. They ordered it on line and it showed up 2 days before the mass heat wave. Their dog loves me even more now was he could lay their in the bedroom in comfort. :D
Yes, the ones with the exhaust hose that you setup in a window. Imagine 600cfm of exhaust going out the window; it has to come from somewhere and with the house closed up, that exhaust gets pulled from every crack under doors, outlets, ceiling lights, attic access and exhaust ducts.

Yes, the ones with the exhaust hose that you setup in a window. Imagine 600cfm of exhaust going out the window; it has to come from somewhere and with the house closed up, that exhaust gets pulled from every crack under doors, outlets, ceiling lights, attic access and exhaust ducts.
:s0092:
All I know for sure is they work but, are more expensive to buy. So for those who have 2 choices, have apartment same temp as outside, or have one room at 68 while rest of apartment is 95? I know which choice I would make.
Now for those who can put in a window unit only reason I could think of to go with one of these portables would be if they are not physically able to put in a window unit and have no one to help them. Again choice is pretty simple. Live with the heat or have at least one room nice and cool. I can imagine my choice would be the same as one of Wife's siblings made. Have one bedroom nice and cool.

Must be Trumps fault. :s0140:
How_Dare_You.gif

Because.....EVERYTHING BAD THAT HAPPENS......IS Trump's Fault.

Aloha, Mark

Sadly, people are so stupid, they need to be told. They will stl throw their burning cigarette stump out the window.
Or, in the middle of the highest fire danger season and 90* temps, start a campfire to roast weenies, and fail to put it out properly, causing 900 acres to burn and many people, including myself, to have to evacuate for 3 days. :s0117: :s0054:

It is really hard to prepare for such stupidity.

Too bad she does not use her power to order crews to do maintenance of the state forests. It is the lack of common sense management that leads to fires they can not control. Then the people who made the mess stand there and act like they had nothing to do with it.

Just follow the money trail for the answer....

Just look to commiefornia for what our forest futures look like. They forests full of standing match sticks that are drier than a popcorn fart. If you sneeze wrong a fire starts and burns the whole place down.
In 20 years or less we will have the exact same conditions and then the real hand wringing will start with proclamations of "I didnt see this coming".

The worst are the roll around A/C units that blow cold, recirculated cold air while at the same time exhausting that same air, which in turn draws the home negative relative to atmosphere....and all that exhaust air has to come from somewhere like through the kitchen and bathroom exhaust ducts. Zero sum
The portable unit I borrowed worked better than the small window unit I had. But then it was about three times the size. I don't mind that it drew air from other rooms, but OTOH it didn't have enough BTUs to keep up with the heat. *shrug*

It is unlikely we will see that kind of heat again for that long this summer. We will probably have some hot days, but not like those - probably less than 100* and even less likely to be 110*.

What the Governor should have done in the emergency declaration is order that any wildfire be fought with all resources available as soon as it is discovered. This is how to control the fires.

The states have agreements to help one another with wildfires. Part of the Declaration is just Public Relations propaganda.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top