JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rivers and the beaches are going to be nuts!
Yeah, part of me is like take wife and toddler to the coast on Sunday but... knowing that pretty much everywhere with water will be packed... I don't know? Anyone up near the Cascades know if the mountains will be scorching hot or? Thinking maybe the "sno park" areas but not quite sure due to needing specific permits?

Yeah, part of me is like take wife and toddler to the coast on Sunday but... knowing that pretty much everywhere with water will be packed... I don't know? Anyone up near the Cascades know if the mountains will be scorching hot or? Thinking maybe the "sno park" areas but not quite sure due to needing specific permits?
Usually if you get out to Gearheart early enough you'll get a decent spot to yourself for at least a few hours. Come 12-1, the whole beach will be packed.

PXL_20210508_230952933.MP.jpg
Splashes and splashes!

Just a heads up that a major heat wave is supposed to hit the region. Weather forecast shows a weekend high of 111° in these parts. Just passing it along: Map here, southern Oregon alert here.
I for one thank the jesus all the news channels are telling me non-stop to not leave my dog chained up in the sun without water all day long.

I'm not sure, but I'm betting the state closes down a but bunch of areas due to the extreme fire risks! Combined with the already burned areas around Detroit Lake, the options will be fewer then ever! You might think about a little road trip to a local stream or river, there are plenty around you to choose from, at least you would have shade and cold water to splash around in! The areas around Sweet Home is always good, especially below foster dam, and there is the Calipouia river, also a good river to play in, and likely not crowded!

I'm not sure, but I'm betting the state closes down a but bunch of areas due to the extreme fire risks! Combined with the already burned areas around Detroit Lake, the options will be fewer then ever! You might think about a little road trip to a local stream or river, there are plenty around you to choose from, at least you would have shade and cold water to splash around in! The areas around Sweet Home is always good, especially below foster dam, and there is the Calipouia river, also a good river to play in, and likely not crowded!
The last time we tried to find streams/places for swimming that weren't full of people.. we ended up out east past Cascadia, Moose Mountain/Moose Creek Road area? And the water there was ridiculously cold being its the runoff from the snow areas before hitting Green Peter and Foster Lake. Edit. But that is why we are thinking to go to the higher elevations where there might still be snow/temps less than 100.

The last time we tried to find streams/places for swimming that weren't full of people.. we ended up out east past Cascadia, Moose Mountain/Moose Creek Road area? And the water there was ridiculously cold being its the runoff from the snow areas before hitting Green Peter and Foster Lake. Edit. But that is why we are thinking to go to the higher elevations where there might still be snow/temps less than 100.
You know your way around the lower areas, say around Jefferson? You could try those areas, especially around Scio, not likely to be large crowds there, and the water won't be so cold!

I'm sure not looking forward to this, but I do expect to get some lucrative OT this weekend. The automated processes where I work do not like the heat. I fully expect to get called out at some point on Sunday.

Just opinion but with all the new residents we could get a power failure as the AC gets turned up. Keep cool folks. :s0093:
Yup, worst case scenario for me. One power blip means working all night to restart everything.

Rural and elevation and forest helps. I always notice during my trips to/from the city, that temps drop 5* or more once outside city limits, and 5-10* more when I get to 900' elevation at home.
Yep. We live at 650 feet and should be about 5 degrees cooler than say Hillsboro. Should keep us around a comfortable 106. Just keeping my fingers crossed that nobody flicks a cigarette out their window. Always a concern this time of year that our little town could go up in smoke

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews