JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
117 today and windy. That wind is the killer. Like a convection oven out there.

IMG_20210629_163817152.jpg

That is very dangerous in LaPine.
I think the reading was incorrect. about a half hour ago I was showing 111 and I texted it to a nearrby neighbor. He said he was only showing 101 on his back deck which the 'official' temp was showing for Lapine as well.

I moved my sensor to my back deck, in a shaded area but with much more air flow as I had the sensor on my front deck up near the roof AND my front deck is partially enclosed with windows and may have been radiating more heat.

It has now dropped to 100 so I think I found a better spot for a more accurate reading!

Last Edited:
It was comfortable today but.....

STORY TIME
I tried to arrange a tow wagon to get my vehicle from my home to the repair shop (about 1 mile away).

Easy enough....Just call AAA. Not.

I've been trying since about 1500 hrs. (and again at 1900 hrs). AAA can't accommodate my request because they say that all of their people/tow wagons are working only on emergency tows. You know the guys stuck on the freeway. They gave me a song and dance about a backlog of 29 calls and over a 3-4 hour wait.

The second time I called, they said the requests have gone up since my first call.

I asked to be put into line for a tow. Ha, ha, ha......joke is on me. There is no line. I just need to keep calling and see if the situation improves. When I asked why the backlog? I was told that many cars have broken down due to the heat (ever since the weekend). Yeah.....today is Tuesday.

Should I believe their story? Or just chalk it up to poor service by AAA?

Aloha, Mark

PS....update.....
I went to the AAA web site about midnight and scheduled a tow. The web site took the request and it said I had to wait for like 180 mins. OK.....I can do that. About 1 hour into waiting and I get a call. I'm told that no tows were available as they were busy with "emergencies."

Disappointed again......but oh well, the weather is cooling off.

This morning at about 0530 I tried the website again. The request went through. Wait time was 120 mins. About 45 mins later, I get the call and I'm given the same old song and dance about only emergencies.

So, at about 0800hrs. (BTW, temps are expected to be a low of 66F and a high of 84F today 06-30-2021). I give them a call. This time, they said that probably at about 1100 hrs. they will have a tow for me. Rrrright.....anyway, AAA called again and the tow was OFF again.

Then, about 1145 a AAA driver called to say he was on the way. He had been stuck on another tow job.

He was a diligent person and I have to NO REAL complaints with his service.

BUT.......in my opinion......AAA deserves a BIG RASBERRY!

Last Edited:
On the worst day it was 100 inside the damn house!. The 8K BTU unit in the master bed finally could not keep up first time this ever happened. It would keep that room at 69 or 70 but ran full out all the time. We would go downstairs to make some food and head strait back to the bedroom. Since it looks like this will be a warm summer I bought 2 more AC units. This time bought 10K. So if the one that got a hell of a work out dies I can swap it. In laws heat pump died so they went to a Hotel but could only find a room for one night. So went over to their place and put a window unit in their master bed so they could survive until the service tech can get over there.
I tried to warn those I work with. Most ignored it as is normal. Then all were crying it up at work since of course the stores here had no fans or AC units. I told them order some, you can get them in a couple days. While it probably will not be triple dig here again it sure will be plenty hot many more days here. Several finally took the advice and ordered some units.

On the worst day it was 100 inside the damn house!. The 8K BTU unit in the master bed finally could not keep up first time this ever happened. It would keep that room at 69 or 70 but ran full out all the time. We would go downstairs to make some food and head strait back to the bedroom. Since it looks like this will be a warm summer I bought 2 more AC units. This time bought 10K. So if the one that got a hell of a work out dies I can swap it. In laws heat pump died so they went to a Hotel but could only find a room for one night. So went over to their place and put a window unit in their master bed so they could survive until the service tech can get over there.
I tried to warn those I work with. Most ignored it as is normal. Then all were crying it up at work since of course the stores here had no fans or AC units. I told them order some, you can get them in a couple days. While it probably will not be triple dig here again it sure will be plenty hot many more days here. Several finally took the advice and ordered some units.
I'm always surprised that people wait till the last minute on these things. Hope they have deep pockets because the affordable portable AC units sell out first.

I'm fairly certain the heat killed off a few of my plants. I don't think the raspberry plant will make a recovery. Aphids and caterpillars ate a bit much and right when I had it recovering from that, the heat hit.

Bell peppers and basil are loving the heat, though something is eating the basil and damned if I can't find out what.

The worst are the roll around A/C units that blow cold, recirculated cold air while at the same time exhausting that same air, which in turn draws the home negative relative to atmosphere....and all that exhaust air has to come from somewhere like through the kitchen and bathroom exhaust ducts. Zero sum

I'm fairly certain the heat killed off a few of my plants. I don't think the raspberry plant will make a recovery. Aphids and caterpillars ate a bit much and right when I had it recovering from that, the heat hit.
There is a strip of grass managed by a HOA for the housing community across from my property and I can see that the grass has turned extra crispy from the heat. My next door planted a row of small trees and half of them look dead.

I had to water multiple times during the 3 days of high heat to keep my lawn from going dormant or dying outright, plus I did started prepping my lawn for summer earlier by mowing it tall, feeding it a high potassium diet and also using Hydretain, so it came out of the heat with no issues that I can see.

Its cloudy and cool today though, what a difference.

Nice weather today - 70* and cloudy

Unfortunately I only got about 4 hours of sleep, got up at 3:30 am to continue cleaning - now my back and legs are killing me - not feeling up to doing anything outside - appraiser came and went.

I'm always surprised that people wait till the last minute on these things. Hope they have deep pockets because the affordable portable AC units sell out first.

Bell peppers and basil are loving the heat, though something is eating the basil and damned if I can't find out what.
This to me is just like the ammo, TP, dry goods, ect. People as a whole never learn or prep. :s0092:
Having worked nights almost all my life I see this every few years here. We get a good hot summer every handful of years. When a hot one hits the stores that sell AC units are wiped out. Decades ago I took to keeping a "spare" here for me as I have to sleep days. :D
The one big advantage now days is on-line. This time when there was no AC anyone who again got hit could at least still get them cheap, they just had to be willing to wait a few days. Used to be when they were gone that was pretty much it. When Wife saw that I had ordered a few more even she asked why. I said I seem to be the only ant in her family of grass hoppers. Every damn crisis I am the one to bail out others :s0092:. When there was no TP. we had enough to share some. If not for me her parents, who if I had their money I would burn mine, would have had to go stay at someones else's house. This heat would literally kill someone their age. Only reason they have AC in a couple rooms now to hold them till a Tech can get to them is me. I bought 2 more 10K units for less than $400 each and one more 6K for less than $300. First one showed up yesterday. Each will be tested, wrapped up and put in storage for the next "crisis". Kind of like Ammo and TP. :D

Speaking of ammo anyone else notice that now that its back and in good supply we suddenly stopped seeing all the posts about how we would not see ammo for years to come again???:s0140: This panic took 15 months to start to break. Its still not as cheap as it was yet but, its almost back and soon shelves will be full again and most will ignore it till something sets off another.

The worst are the roll around A/C units that blow cold, recirculated cold air while at the same time exhausting that same air, which in turn draws the home negative relative to atmosphere....and all that exhaust air has to come from somewhere like through the kitchen and bathroom exhaust ducts. Zero sum
I take it you mean the kind that have an exhaust hose? They have come a LONG way in the last decade or so but, still of course are not as nice as plain old window mount. They also tend to be quite a bit more expensive do to how they are made but, they do work. Many apartments now have it written in lease that people can not have window units. Main reason is lawyers. They are afraid someone will stick one in a window in such a way it will fall out and hit someone. Then of course lawyers want someone else to pay.:mad:
One of my Wife's siblings just moved to a new rental that was like this, no window units. They dd build in what look like dryer vents holes in several of the rooms for just this. So people could hook that exhaust hose to these which beats putting it in a window. Their apartment was almost triple dig inside but at least they could keep a bedroom at whatever temp they wanted to sleep at night. Bought a big enough unit to keep up. Only thing I did was show them to insulate the exhaust hose since that sucker will get warm sending out some heat and humidity. So if someone can't put a window unit in those things will at least let them live comfortable when its hot. That family member was the only one who listened to my warning when they said this heat was coming and bought their unit before it hit here. They ordered it on line and it showed up 2 days before the mass heat wave. Their dog loves me even more now was he could lay their in the bedroom in comfort. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top