JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll state it again, I would have never pulled my pistol in this situation, I never even pulled my knife that was on my person.

You really don't see it do you?

I get it, if I didnt want any trouble, I could have minded my own yard and said to myself this isnt my problem.

So next time I'll just let whoever is stealing in front of my house just go about business as usual, and be sure to leave them well alone.

Also, I only exited my vehicle once I thought the person in question had left the scene. I was not looking for an altercation. I was seeing if i needed to tell my neighbor if his car was just broken into.

Yes do not confront the person if you don't have to. You cannot use a gun to stop people from stealing your property unless they are attacking you. If you are in a car use it to escape if possible.

Do not be a hero like those guys did in Marysville where the guys confronted the theives and shot the tires out that stole $400 worth of tools.

no property of mine is worth killing someone/getting killed over. if they were going after my wife or kids ya then im going to eliminate the threat.

I'll state it again, I would have never pulled my pistol in this situation, I never even pulled my knife that was on my person.

I get it, if I didnt want any trouble, I could have minded my own yard and said to myself this isnt my problem.
Add to that a call to local law enforcement with a complete description and their illegal activities.

I get protecting where you live, we all feel that way... But there's a balance, family above neighbors or neighborhood. Those who depend on me don't end up better off if I have an armed confrontation with a dirtbag stealing from a neighbor and I end up behind bars for it...

It is Portland we're talking about after all... And until there's a paradigm shift to victims rights, nothing will change...

Add to that a call to local law enforcement with a complete description and their illegal activities.

I get protecting where you live, we all feel that way... But there's a balance, family above neighbors or neighborhood. Those who depend on me don't end up better off if I have an armed confrontation with a dirtbag stealing from a neighbor and I end up behind bars for it...

It is Portland we're talking about after all... And until there's a paradigm shift to victims rights, nothing will change...

Very well put.

Let me clarify, the area I have lived in for many years has seen an uptick in property theft, I personally have had things stolen. The st on which I ended up in this confrontation is only a one lane, and the car in question was directly across from me, a neighbors car.

I believe I did the right thing by telling them to get outta dodge while engaging in property theft where I live.

Granted, the altercation escalated more than I anticipated, but with a unstable irate person with either a knife or spray in hand, I believe I did the right things needed to diffuse the situation without me getting into a knife fight.
As for carrying, I didnt even pull my knife, nothing in this situation required me to need or use force, just not worth it.

I only stated I would carry more consistently, due to the fact that one can never know what might happen anymore at any place or time.

If I had "my way" you catch someone stealing and have to shoot them, too bad for them. Sadly this is not the world we live in. I know it sucks to work hard and watch scum steal. Still it's better to call the law, try to be a good witness, but stay the hell out of it. This time you got lucky. You see the potential of some of this street trash though. Even if one charges you with a weapon and you shoot them it's a huge hassle. After it's over with will you say, "well, maybe I should have not gotten involved here". I know it sucks but often its just far better to not take the chance. If you end up having to use deadly force over something like petty theft? Well it's just not worth it man.

I'm so glad I live in a rural area where I don't have these problems yet.

I would get camera's put up ASAP so that you have it if someone breaks into your house again.
Ditto this. Camera systems have gotten so cheap and so much better. They are well worth having and can come in VERY handy. Mine has come in great a few times during the great ammo shortage. I had ammo coming weekly. A few times the camera worked to prove the driver delivered my stuff to the wrong house. Not to mention it's just plain nice to be able to see and hear what's going on outside whether I am home or not.

New guns and a new wife time... if a spouse won't "let" the other buy something like a gun, a tool, a fishing rod etc then that person has control issues and irrational fears. Not worth the headaches.

This should be discovered prior to marriage. My wife knew when we met that I had a gun hobby, I owned a zillion fishing rods and a boat, that I made money or useful projects with tools WE needed, and that I wanted a dog. She did ALL those things with me prior to us getting married. She was my tomboy hunting partner for deer (not elk, too much crude buddies in elk camp), my fishing buddy, and we worked on the houses we flipped together. She's no girly girl... been there, done that, no mas!!

I had trouble understanding the reactions to the OP at first. Since I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and know all my neighbors very well, it was hard for me to put myself in the same situation and not yell at some low life to GFO!! But upon reflection I found that calling for those coppers we all don't like may be a better step to take. One way or the other tho, I don't want those sch!ts to get used to being active on my street. Might go all "Grand Torino" on them.

If you are not armed, OC spray can be easily carried and used to good effect. If not directly against the offender due to distance, then as an "area denial" tool. Spray, move and wait is the training. Once they get a whiff, they generally express a sudden lack of interest in the area. If they approach you after that, well...

Regarding OC spray, a little anecdote. Went to a domestic disturbance call. Intoxicated BF said that GF's hand smelled like someone else's bodily fluid. How he knew that I have no idea. He had assaulted her so got cuffed and stuffed. Starts banging his head on the shield. I tell him to stop. Doesn't. So, I apply an even coat (no runs, drips or errors) of organic, environmentally safe oleoresin capsicum to his facial area so as to redirect his focus from banging his head, to breathing.

As he was screaming that he could not breathe, GF asked me what I had just done to him. "I applied peace mist" I said and drove away to booking. She called the station and asked what "peace mist" was...

Saw the fellow a couple of weeks later and he apologized. Never went there again.

Now, back on topic.

Not all are but most! :D The ones I like know to stay away or text me that they are stopping by. My neighbor decided to be nice and drop off a plate of christmas cookies. I greeted him at the door in boxers and a pistol! :D

I have great neighbors. 2 ex military/ ex Leo, my next door neighbor said he would be over with his .45 in a second if my wife called and said she needed help. I understand legally why someone would not want to intervene in OPs situation, and I wouldn't mess with someone doing wierd stuff in the park other than to call the cops, but if you are messing with my immediate neighbors you are going to regret it.

Not all are but most! :D The ones I like know to stay away or text me that they are stopping by. :D

Wow!

All my neighbors are wonderful! No Aholes on this street so they can stop over whenever they want. Even the millenials that live next door as long as he leaves his man-bun off.

I used to have one neighbor that came over and overstayed... not cool. I'm friendly but I do like my own space. I also have a neighbor that is the neighborhood watch type, knows everything that is going on. That's a mixed blessing in that somebody is watching the place whenever we are gone, but on the other hand he keeps coming over when I'm working on a boat or a trailer or xxx with a buddy, and he is curious about what we are doing.

I have a gun at the door but I generally don't have to answer the door armed because I can see out the window next to the door, and I have a peephole and a lit deck at night. Middle of the night would be different for sure. Don't need no blasted drunks! And of course there's always the chance of a SWAT raid...

Wow!

All my neighbors are wonderful! No Aholes on this street so they can stop over whenever they want. Even the millenials that live next door as long as he leaves his man-bun off.

I used to have one neighbor that came over and overstayed... not cool. I'm friendly but I do like my own space. I also have a neighbor that is the neighborhood watch type, knows everything that is going on. That's a mixed blessing in that somebody is watching the place whenever we are gone, but on the other hand he keeps coming over when I'm working on a boat or a trailer or xxx with a buddy, and he is curious about what we are doing.

I have a gun at the door but I generally don't have to answer the door armed because I can see out the window next to the door, and I have a peephole and a lit deck at night. Middle of the night would be different for sure. Don't need no blasted drunks! And of course there's always the chance of a SWAT raid...

I like most of my neighbors and most are really cool. Don't get me wrong I like people and enjoy there company. What I don't like is people showing up unannounced and walking on my property. I live out of town with over an acre. My camera's usually let me know when people are on my property.

My small neighborhood is very tight nit and out of the fifteen homes only three of them I don't like because of the way they lean left. Those are the three that can kiss my arse and go back where they came from and take there thinking with them. One of them told me we as Americans shouldn't be allowed to own guns. o_O

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top