JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tonight I am driving home from the grocery store and see an odd person in the dark bushes across the street when I park my car. I sit in my car a moment to see what this person is up to, they rummage around in the bushes then proceed off down the st. I exit my vehicle and walk over to the bushes to find someones 14ft metal gutter, and the homeless reappears, saying they work for the city and they have permits, waiving some piece of paper around increasingly getting agitated. I say you dont belong here and need to move along before I call the cops. This further agitates the homeless causing them to begin to confront me within 20ft, I pull out my fenix flashlight to attempt to get a good look at them and turn it to strobe to try and stop thier forward progress. They run off to a neighbors house and almost break the front door pretending they live there. Then they say they are going to kill me and im going to die. And then they pull something out of their jacket and begin to charge, so I run into the st to wave/stop traffic for witnesses, as im running around I decide it would be best if I ran into the neighborhood bar down the st, with many witnesses. As I enter the bar they mace the front glass door, and run away. The bar patrons and employees were all confused so I explain the events that led up to this. We agree I should call the non emergency number to report the inccedent. The cops say it was assault, and they will alert cars in the area to keep a lookout.

At first I thought they pulled a knife while threatening to kill me for inturrupting their thefts, but in the end it was mace. Had it been a firearm who knows what might have happened, no amount of witnesses would have saved me from a bullet.

I have a ccw, I own a pistol for that purpose. I didnt have it on me tonight for a grocery store run for some food for my kids, I'll never make that mistake again. Honestly you just never know when something might happen at the most uncommon of times and places.

Lesson learned, I am lucky tonight I am unharmed.

All I had im my pockets was my flashlight and pocket knife.

Paul

My parking spot bar and house are within 300ft of each other, I didnt want them to know where I live, bad enough they could return and retaliate and damage my car.

Also, its not a busy st, I was making decisions on the fly, keeping my distance, while safely crossing the road, warning the driver another person was behind me entering the st.

Carry 24/7 or guess right.

I had a gun on me at Christmas dinner.

P

Seconded. Was with a new girl, and we were about to run out for some takeout. She asked "you really think you're gonna need that?" as I was putting my pistol on with the rest of my stuff, just responded "if I thought I'd need, we'd be calling for delivery instead"

Pretty much every "things went wrong" story is preceded by "everything was fine"

Always armed when awake, gun is within arms reach when I'm not. Glad it turned out OK for you, and I bet you learned a few things and can see some things that could've done better. I doubt the cops will find the guy, at least not from this incident. Hopefully he got OC on his hands, then scratched his balls or picked his nose (or both)

Good on you for having a light, and having the presence of mind to use it to disorient the guy.

Always alway always have your light, a knife, and a gun on your body. Always.

I wouldn't have gone across the street if I wasn't armed...

Glad your ok though.

If a place is unsafe enough that you wouldn't go into it without a gun, should you really go with a gun?

And don't get me wrong...when I first read your comment I thought the same EXACT thing to myself. But then I started thinking about it a little more. And if it's a place that I felt I needed a gun to be safe in, it's probably a good indication that I should avoid that place entirely...

And I'm really just tossing this out for consideration and to hear what others think...This notion that carrying a gun can lead us into a false sense of security and/or taking risks that we really shouldn't be taking in the first place. :)

Seconded. Was with a new girl, and we were about to run out for some takeout. She asked "you really think you're gonna need that?" as I was putting my pistol on with the rest of my stuff, just responded "if I thought I'd need, we'd be calling for delivery instead"

Pretty much every "things went wrong" story is preceded by "everything was fine"

Good answer! And as an added bonus, you just got a lot of insight into "New Girl." She's clearly going to take a little work if you decide to keep her. ;)

If a place is unsafe enough that you wouldn't go into it without a gun, should you really go with a gun?

And don't get me wrong...when I first read your comment I thought the same EXACT thing to myself. But then I started thinking about it a little more. And if it's a place that I felt I needed a gun to be safe in, it's probably a good indication that I should avoid that place entirely...

And I'm really just tossing this out for consideration and to hear what others think...This notion that carrying a gun can lead us into a false sense of security and/or taking risks that we really shouldn't be taking in the first place. :)

EDIT: Disagree. Nut cases can show up at any time or place. There are no exceptions to this rule.

EDIT: If I feel a place is not safe then I will not go there gun or not, but I know that no place is "safe". So, I partly disagree with you. :)

I get what you are trying to say, but this statement is problematic to me:
"And if it's a place that I felt I needed a gun to be safe in, it's probably a good indication that I should avoid that place entirely..."

What about a school, church, theater, outdoor concert, post office, restaurant, etc.? I think you're better off being prepared at all times. ;)

Last Edited:
Well if this helps others learn, win. For this time, well take a lesson.
1 Always be armed. It's why the ultra small light guns shine. Few will always carry something "good". Often a "need" pops up when you had no idea, like a run to store.
2 Do not confront someone like that unless you are willing and ready to shoot them. A LOT of the street trash have become very much a danger. Many of them are mentally off to begin with, then they add to this with street drugs.

Was there a second date?

Going back a few years, I would go out armed like this -

Browning P35 under left arm - standard magazine +1 in chamber.
Browning P35 in door pocket - 20-round magazine +1 in chamber.
Walther PP in 9mmK in paddle holster.
Four more Browning 20-rd magazines in centre console.
HK-MP5K across feet and another MP5K in the opposite foot well.

And that was for driving around the local area.

In yUK.

Car co-driver had the same.

Was there a second date?

Going back a few years, I would go out armed like this -

Browning P35 under left arm - standard magazine +1 in chamber.
Browning P35 in door pocket - 20-round magazine +1 in chamber.
Walther PP in 9mmK in paddle holster.
Four more Browning 20-rd magazines in centre console.
HK-MP5K across feet and another MP5K in the opposite foot well.

And that was for driving around the local area.

In yUK.

Car co-driver had the same.

the names, Bond.... James @tac Bond. ;)

EDIT: Disagree. Nut cases can show up at any time or place. There are no exceptions to this rule.

EDIT: If I feel a place is not safe then I will not go there gun or not, but I know that no place is "safe". So, I partly disagree with you. :)

I get what you are trying to say, but this statement is problematic to me:
"And if it's a place that I felt I needed a gun to be safe in, it's probably a good indication that I should avoid that place entirely..."

What about a school, church, theater, outdoor concert, post office, restaurant, etc.? I think you're better off being prepared at all times. ;)

I don't recall a story about a mass shooting that was in a place others would not think of as "safe". Hence they normally happen in those "gun free zones" that are supposed to be safe. Not sure there is such a thing as "don't go where I need a gun" unless someone is just going to never leave home. Of course I keep a gun at home all the time as I feel safe there because I have a gun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top