JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, Alexx--I was thinking to get the brandish on Candid Camera too if possible, go for the most damning case possible. :)

"Doom On You--you're on Candid ****ing Camera!"--Richard Marcinko
I use one right now that cost about $30 each. So you could wire up 4 if someone really wanted to get a full 360 view without spending much. They go on and off automatically once set up. I have thought a few times of adding one to the rear of each vehicle. In some countries this is more common. See a lot of youtube of stuff that was filmed from a rear facing. Could probably mount 2 in the windshield pointed out at enough to see 180 easy enough. All depends on what someone wants. Even just my front facing saved me one time. At red light bubblegum rear ends me then takes off. The video clearly shows me at dead stop when she hits me then her speeding around me to take off. So when caught up to there was no way for her to make up any kind of story where it was not her fault.

I cannot remember the brand I have, but it is a cheap import that works quite well. As long as I have front and back coverage that gives enough coverage. I tried to post a link last night, but the cheap wifi at this hotel barely has enough bandwidth to load my e mail.

I consider these throw down items, and have not had problems with them even with the cheap ones. Quits working I just order another one. Cheap insurance.

Like I was taught many years ago, never draw your weapon unless you are 100% sure you are going to shoot. If you took that brandishing as a threat on your life you would ultimately be arrested & charged.

I would be tempted to amend that statement just a bit - because I do think it's appropriate, under certain conditions, to draw your weapon, even if you aren't 100% certain you're going to shoot.

I think we all here agree you only pull your gun if your life or the life of someone else in your immediate vicinity is in imminent danger, since that's the qualification for use of deadly force in self defense. That said, I would say, don't draw your weapon unless you are 100% certain your life, or someone else's life, is in imminent danger. I only say this because drawing your weapon alone may be enough to end that threat, shooting may not be necessary, in fact, from what I've read, the presence of the gun will end the threat often with no shots fired. In this sense, it's not brandishing, because you truly believed your life was in danger. But I get what you were taught was trying to convey.

This guy would probably have a hard time proving he thought his life was in danger, based solely on other folks that likely witnessed his aggressive behavior/actions leading up to the gun being presented. Obviously another person that shouldn't own a gun, because they can't control themselves. Too bad there are enough of these kind of folks out there to make these stories more common than they should be.

I cannot remember the brand I have, but it is a cheap import that works quite well. As long as I have front and back coverage that gives enough coverage. I tried to post a link last night, but the cheap wifi at this hotel barely has enough bandwidth to load my e mail.

I consider these throw down items, and have not had problems with them even with the cheap ones. Quits working I just order another one. Cheap insurance.

I bought 3 of these from Amazon June of last year. One was stolen and replaced. One died a couple months ago. They run $30 delivered. The 2 we still have are still working fine. They "claim" night vision which is a crock. The IR on them can't seem to see after going past the glass. They do need a better card. We use 32 G in them which run $10. There are LOT's of these on line. As CoastRange57 said I treat these as disposable. I like them since they are dead simple to mount and dismount. If in a place I think they would attract attention I can just slip them off the mount to put out of site. They are so cheap that when another one dies I will just buy another. They come with a VERY long power cord. So you could mount one pretty much anywhere. Also if the cord bothers you it would be easy to run it so it was hidden. If the cars lighter powers on and off with the car the camera will also.

Here is a cheap one for comparison;
SENWOW 1080P HD Dash Cam Car DVR GS8000L

Years ago my mom's best friend was on 99 with her son going toward Sherwood when a car beside them started making her uncomfortable, then mad. She always carried a little kit gun in her purse. She told her son (about 20 at the time) to pull her gun and show it to the guy. He did, they were pulled over about 3 miles down the road and she got a ticket, not exactly sure what it was for (probably brandishing). I'm not sure what came of it, she didn't have a CHL but always had a gun in her purse. Doesn't seem like she got in a lot of trouble but I do know she got her eyes opened up pretty good.

I would be tempted to amend that statement just a bit - because I do think it's appropriate, under certain conditions, to draw your weapon, even if you aren't 100% certain you're going to shoot.

I think we all here agree you only pull your gun if your life or the life of someone else in your immediate vicinity is in imminent danger, since that's the qualification for use of deadly force in self defense. That said, I would say, don't draw your weapon unless you are 100% certain your life, or someone else's life, is in imminent danger. I only say this because drawing your weapon alone may be enough to end that threat, shooting may not be necessary, in fact, from what I've read, the presence of the gun will end the threat often with no shots fired. In this sense, it's not brandishing, because you truly believed your life was in danger. But I get what you were taught was trying to convey.

This guy would probably have a hard time proving he thought his life was in danger, based solely on other folks that likely witnessed his aggressive behavior/actions leading up to the gun being presented. Obviously another person that shouldn't own a gun, because they can't control themselves. Too bad there are enough of these kind of folks out there to make these stories more common than they should be.

I stand by my statements, just look at what's happening to that video Grapher who pulled his gun at the BLM protest in Portland. I do hope he can persuade the judge that his life was threatened.

I bought 3 of these from Amazon June of last year. One was stolen and replaced. One died a couple months ago. They run $30 delivered. The 2 we still have are still working fine. They "claim" night vision which is a crock. The IR on them can't seem to see after going past the glass. They do need a better card. We use 32 G in them which run $10. There are LOT's of these on line. As CoastRange57 said I treat these as disposable. I like them since they are dead simple to mount and dismount. If in a place I think they would attract attention I can just slip them off the mount to put out of site. They are so cheap that when another one dies I will just buy another. They come with a VERY long power cord. So you could mount one pretty much anywhere. Also if the cord bothers you it would be easy to run it so it was hidden. If the cars lighter powers on and off with the car the camera will also.

Here is a cheap one for comparison;
SENWOW 1080P HD Dash Cam Car DVR GS8000L

The Cobra ones we run, night vision is pretty good. Out to field of view of headlights, so really all that would be needed I'd imagine. No issue with back reflectivity from the windshield, but that could be the way we have them mounted, close to the glass behind the rear view (so as not to obscure the drivers field of view).

Not sure on how the "new" model Cobra night vision works though. But $50 is a pretty decent price point.

Note: ours are not hard wired to the vehicles, but use a 12v outlet and the wires run up by the headliner. SUV/Truck is running, they are on & recording. So no electrical skill needed to instal, just some ingenuity to route the wire.

You surely could hard wire any dashcam though.

I stand by my statements, just look at what's happening to that video Grapher who pulled his gun at the BLM protest in Portland. I do hope he can persuade the judge that his life was threatened.

And to be clear, my comment wasn't meant in any way to challenge what you were taught, just to clarify, I think there are justifiable times to pull a gun, in self-defense, where you may not need to pull the trigger. What I perhaps should have said was don't pull your gun, except in self-defense, and only if you are 100% ready to pull the trigger, if needed. That follows in line with my training, but again, I'm not intending any criticism of what you stated, just my own POV.

In the case of the guy in Portland, I think he's going to have a hard time defending himself. Why? Because he intentionally put himself in that position for one and second, he had several opportunities to retreat, which would have been the appropriate thing to do, but he decided to stay. If he really believed his life was in danger, he should have left when he could have. He also knows very well that many at these events know who he is and what he does, so he knows they are more likely to be hostile to him as a result. Since he didn't bug out, but chose to stay, voluntarily, in a dangerous situation, I don't count his drawing of a weapon as self-defense - I have a feeling the courts are going to feel the same way about it. Again, unfortunate for him and the rest of us.

People that carry need to not only have their tempers in check, but really should have an attitude of avoiding trouble at all costs, rather than inserting themselves into known, dangerous situations. He demonstrated, in my opinion, poor judgment in the hopes of producing another video for his channel, and now he's going to learn the cost of that choice.

Last Edited:
People that carry need to not only have their tempers in check, but really should have an attitude of avoiding trouble at all costs, rather than inserting themselves into known, dangerous situations.

In my very first martial arts dojo, we had an exercise where you got crowded into a corner by all the other students, bounced around, pushed, etc. In a situation like that most people will get mad. The point of the exercise was to teach control of ones reactions and make a conscious decision about what to do.

Good job, OP!!!

Excellent topic everybody and thank you. We have a duty not to make things worse. While it sounds cowardly, backing off and doing all one can do to defuse situations is the best tactical decision.

About car cameras. Thank you. Perhaps a new Thread describing specific choices for Car Cameras and personal experiences with such? Time to consider cameras. Already get $breaks$ for alarms. :)

And to be clear, my comment wasn't meant in any way to challenge what you were taught, just to clarify, I think there are justifiable times to pull a gun, in self-defense, where you may not need to pull the trigger. What I perhaps should have said was don't pull your gun, except in self-defense, and only if you are 100% ready to pull the trigger, if needed. That follows in line with my training, but again, I'm not intending any criticism of what you stated, just my own POV.

In the case of the guy in Portland, I think he's going to have a hard time defending himself. Why? Because he intentionally put himself in that position for one and second, he had several opportunities to retreat, which would have been the appropriate thing to do, but he decided to stay. If he really believed his life was in danger, he should have left when he could have. He also knows very well that many at these events know who he is and what he does, so he knows they are more likely to be hostile to him as a result. Since he didn't bug out, but chose to stay, voluntarily, in a dangerous situation, I don't count his drawing of a weapon as self-defense - I have a feeling the courts are going to feel the same way about it. Again, unfortunate for him and the rest of us.

People that carry need to not only have their tempers in check, but really should have an attitude of avoiding trouble at all costs, rather than inserting themselves into known, dangerous situations. He demonstrated, in my opinion, poor judgment in the hopes of producing another video for his channel, and now he's going to learn the cost of that choice.

No offense taken, I was just putting out my options but one has to remember and know his limitations that's why I'll know when it is time to pull the gun and at that same time it's going to be pull and shoot. I will not pull a gun to show I'm armed to calm a situation, it's going to be known when it comes out hot. I rely on my many years of practice and training. To each there own. ;)

I will add that the reasoning for me not to pull my gun unless I know I'm going to shoot is that your fixed on the threat. What happens, when you don't see a cop or another armed citizen beyond your peripheral vision and you're seen with your gun drawn? It could get worse and the situation could explode beyond your control.

Last Edited:
No offense taken, I was just putting out my options but one has to remember and know his limitations that's why I'll know when it is time to pull the gun and at that same time it's going to be pull and shoot. I will not pull a gun to show I'm armed to calm a situation, it's going to be known when it comes out hot. I rely on my many years of practice and training. To each there own. ;)

I will add that the reasoning for me not to pull my gun unless I know I'm going to shoot is that your fixed on the threat. What happens, when you don't see a cop or another armed citizen beyond your peripheral vision and you're seen with your gun drawn? It could get worse and the situation could explode beyond your control.

Good point, and well worth remembering.

This my try to keep out of trouble kit :)

IMG_2466.JPG

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet? from what i understood it then happened in south Salem area.
My DD is pretty quick, i wouldnt have an issue catching a white Honda, but honestly dont know how i would have responded to getting my window shot out. i could have got a licence plate number pretty easy though. its really not hard to kick the 4bbls in but, i couldn't tell you how i would have handled that situation.

also comes down to after this womans attack, another attack happened. so its hard to justify not doing something if it endangered others. but that woman's first priority was her little girl and that is totally justified.

BE safe,

String of shootings at cars hits Salem, Polk County

On her way home this evening, my wife texted me this picture and message:

Bully truck in rear view mirror.

IMG_0287.JPG

She really hates those tall headlights. Hope the truck driver doesn't do anything worse than blind her a bit. She's bringing Burgerville food home.

EDIT: Wife and burger made it home safe. Thinking of getting one of those buttons that sticks on the dash and makes machine gun sounds when pressed. She'll be shooting it a lot, I think.

Washed down the Burgerville goodies with a Henry Weinhard's root beer. Does this recliner make me look fat?

Last Edited:
My general rule is to let idiots proceed without letting them know I am annoyed at them. I discovered this when I realized honking or flipping somebody off is simply not going to improve the situation. There is just no scenario where it is going to help. I can say "a$$hole" to myself and get just as much enjoyment out of it. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top