JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a road rage incident yesterday. My part in this, I stopped behind a school bus with its red lights on. The bus moves, turns right, out of the equation.

As soon as we can move, some guy in a raised truck blasted past me and flipped me off, nearly hitting my car cutting me off. I honk because I had to stand on the breaks and still barely avoided an accident. We both come to a red light. He raises a large revolver by the handle pointed down. It is like a 2 finger pinch grip on the butt. Clearly brandishing. He is in a raised pickup, I am in a smallish SUV. He is not holding his gun in a manner that would be an immediate threat, but brandishing a firearm seems to be a significant threat.

Now, I wasn't about to shoot him for that, but I was armed and at this point gripping my gun in its pocket holster in case his revolver started to turn my way as he was clearly unstable. I don't want to ever shoot somebody.

Where is the bright white line here? I took it as if he started to aim it at me, but frankly, this was a little disturbing.

Call the police with make, model and license plate number. Also a detailed description of the firearm. No one should EVER brandish a weapon like that. Especially in the situation you described.

The jacked up truck guy should not be in possession of a firearm if that is the approach he takes to someone honking a horn.

Honestly, dyslexic, and was a little shook up. He had a 4 digit license place and frankly I didn't think to call the cops. Good call, should have done that. I got shook up and wasn't thinking. I hope I never have to think of this again, but just wondering if anybody had insight or advice.

Call the police with make, model and license plate number. Also a detailed description of the firearm. No one should EVER brandish a weapon like that. Especially in the situation you described.
Excellent advice.
There are a lot of odd people moving to the Portland area now and the traffic issues just intensify the problem(s).

Honestly, dyslexic, and was a little shook up. He had a 4 digit license place and frankly I didn't think to call the cops. Good call, should have done that. I got shook up and wasn't thinking. I hope I never have to think of this again, but just wondering if anybody had insight or advice.
I think being shook up is a legitimate response on your part. Glad everything worked out for you. Be safe out there.

I agree, Call the Cops and give out every bit of info you can, stay back a distance and give a running commentary while the responding officers home in on you. Do not follow too closely, he would probably get even more aggravated!!!

Like I was taught many years ago, never draw your weapon unless you are 100% sure you are going to shoot. If you took that brandishing as a threat on your life you would ultimately be arrested & charged.
I do hope that you gathered intel and reported it to the police.

It's a messed up attitude the guy had but please do not think that all raised trucks house said attitudes.

All the above advice but I would disengage at that point, find a place to pull off and give the crazy dude a few min to get ahead of you on the road.

I'd you have a smart phone, I would have taken a quick pic of his plates at the least and a video if possible of him holding the gun.

None of the above is easy at the time except pulling over.

Good on you for not escalating the situation.

Last Edited:
That sounds horrible. Unfortunately for me, I've faced similar situations to that one too many times. I've even been given racial slurs in those situations. Do I wanna do something about it? The devil in my head says heck yeah. However, if it weren't for my faith I'd be in prison by now responding to these idiots.

Last Edited:
Well, if the gun aims towards my head I will draw and fire. Life is in danger at this point. The whole thing start to finish was under a minute and of course I had left my smartphone at home like an idiot. I am kind of new to having a CCW, and I am not too good at realizing I have forgotten my phone since the gun is where the phone used to be.

He went left and I went straight so I just proceeded to the mechanic. I have been kind of watching my back since.

And I don't hold it against raised truck guys, though I'll be honest, I tend to have more in common with a guy with a banged up raised truck than a spotless one.

I am having trouble remembering my phone when not going to work as the gun supplanted its spot. Nobody can carry where I work, not even an on duty cop or bailiff. I am trying to get accustomed to phone on left only though to get my EDC items in a spot where my body has memory of it.

Well, if the gun aims towards my head I will draw and fire. Life is in danger at this point. The whole thing start to finish was under a minute and of course I had left my smartphone at home like an idiot. I am kind of new to having a CCW, and I am not too good at realizing I have forgotten my phone since the gun is where the phone used to be.

He went left and I went straight so I just proceeded to the mechanic. I have been kind of watching my back since.

And I don't hold it against raised truck guys, though I'll be honest, I tend to have more in common with a guy with a banged up raised truck than a spotless one.

I am having trouble remembering my phone when not going to work as the gun supplanted its spot. Nobody can carry where I work, not even an on duty cop or bailiff. I am trying to get accustomed to phone on left only though to get my EDC items in a spot where my body has memory of it.

Years ago I always kept my wallet in my back right pocket. It took me a few month of practice to put it in my left pocket because I started carrying my gun on my right side.

Just be aware of it and it will eventually feel normal;).

Glad you're okay. That could have gone south in a hurry.

We've been tailgated by tall trucks often enough (with high-beams illuminating the inside of our car), my wife has taken to calling them "Bully-trucks". Can't imagine what she'll do if she encounters the nut case you met.

recommendations?

It sounds like you kept your mind in the game. Next time, if it occurs, you'll be more ready to involve the police. I can't give you any recommendations since these situations are purely subjective. You did well.

My own policy is to avoid, escape and evade, and if those fail to engage and conquer. God willing, we'll never have to get into an armed confrontation.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews