JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep... I started doing research and then planning my buys and how to store and where to store so she wouldn't find out... then this YouTube video I watched years ago popped up in the back of my head:

If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something wrong.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something immoral.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something you are ashamed of.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something that will get you in trouble.

Which is why I had the conversation with my wife to begin with... I didn't want to sneak on purchasing once I had my ducks in a row and my mind made up.

She agreed to lowers, then saw the house and senate bills. Now we build rifles.

My wife is my partner, unlike many of our co-workers, our marriage survived the pandemic.
She helped put me through college, I helped her survive cancer, we bought a house together. This is a partnership not a dictatorship.
My opinion on firearms moved much faster than her opinion did, but it did move.

I had to have this very conversation about sneaking with my eight year old son who was hiding in the closet...
...playing his Nintendo Switch instead of doing his homework because I forgot to disable the free playtime after Christmas vacation.

He now understands sneaking is wrong.

I feel we'll reveal the guns to the kids when we start building them. Maybe.

Its been a slow introduction to guns, there were "issues" at day care... even calling a stick a gun was strictly verboten. The workers at the daycare always had a way of making you feel like a terrible parent for the smallest infraction and yet let other kids get away with beating my child into the ground. "We didn't see it!" *shows video* "How dare you record another parent's child!" Yeah... good to see childhood trauma runs in the family.
Hoplophobia is rampant. Ignore the idiots. Using daycare is tough because if you want to use their system you have to follow their rules. Children for decades played cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians and war, shot each other a million times and threw pinecone grenades. Despite all that, mass shootings were barely even heard of.

Additionally, the stigma of guns is purely an ideological issue and evaporates as soon as you get into more sane social circles. Children could pretend to have swords or lightsabers and cut off eachothers limbs, but they pretend to have guns and it's suddenly an issue - it's moronic and represents select adults irrational thought processes and not actual desires of children to mame/kill each other.

As far as bullies and abusive behavior against your child goes. You'll never get "justice" trying to get the idiots to be better than what they are. Your options are:

1) teach your child to hurt the bully to an extent they decide they don't want to bully your kid anymore, and ever again. This is likely the most effective option because it can be summed up to "well they were fighting"

2) Sue the bullies family for the abuse and resulting emotional trauma

3) Sue the daycare facility for failing to provide a basic level of safety for your child.

Not every family can manage or afford to do this, but my wife and I made decisions personally and financially so that we didn't have to use daycare. The result is less money (and everything that it buys) but more ownership of what our child's day involves.

All of my brakes/comps are threaded. I have one gun with a tri-lug. Never got an adapter for it. When I use the suppressor, I unscrew the tri-lug and screw on the suppressor. :D
I tried unscrewing it and it won't come! I need a set of blocks to hold the barrel and maybe a little heat to get it off.

Interesting take. From the beginning it sounded like his wife made the decision and then his wife allowed a change to the initial decision after he presented current events. I find it comical that the term "mutual respect"is applied to a situation where one side is still clearly dominating the situation and the other side needs what amounts to permission to make a decision.

Those "jerks" might be noticing that as well and are wondering where that "mutual respect is" you're talking about.
I didn't read it that way. I read it as before they got married, they had this discussion, and both agreed to it. I agree with your point that her position ruled, but he knew her position before they married. I see it kind of like the decision to have children. Wife (or husband) really does not want children. They agree that they will not have kids. Then, 5-10 years down the road, one of them changes his/her mind. Is the original person who REALLY did not want children dominating the situation?

Having a firearm in a house, especially with children, is a serious discussion that all couples should have. I think those of us who have grown up with firearms have difficulty understanding the perspective of those who have not. Will we have a firearm? Even if you both agree to that right away, how will we store it? Will we tell the kids? How will that conversation go?

I think the OP handled it very well and should probably have a career in sales based on his persuasive skills :p

Last Edited:
I didn't read it that way. I read it as before they got married, they had this discussion, and both agreed to it. I agree with your point that her position ruled, but he knew her position before they married. I see it kind of like the decision to have children. Wife (or husband) really does not want children. They agree that they will not have kids. Then, 5-10 years down the road, one of them changes his/her mind. Is the original person who REALLY did not want children dominating the situation?

Having a firearm in a house, especially with children, is a serious discussion that all couples should have. I think those of us who have grown up with firearms have difficulty understanding the perspective of those who have not. Will we have a firearm? Even if you both agree to that right away, how will we store it? Will we tell the kids? How will that conversation go?

I think the OP handled it very well and should probably have a career in sales based on his persuasive skills :p
"My wife was firm," was his description. Yes, if both sides disagree and one side capitulates entirely, and the other side gets their way entirely. That's nearly the textual definition of dominating.

Related to how a firearm is stored/shared. Depends on the details of the situation, but forcing things to be taboo and therefore inspire secretive curiosity without any knowledge or skill is the primary reason people (especially children) are shot negligently. They find something that is interesting, but haven't been taught/learned how to safely handle it, and then "oops" someone's dead.

There are 5 year olds who have more firearms handling experience than adults. It entirely depends on how the family has chosen to handle the situation.

Personally I won't gamble my children's life on a bet that they will obey the "don't touch guns" instructions. Children are children. They also have friends who probably don't have strict discipline and who would eagerly play with an unsecured gun.

I am not advocating for government micromanagement of gun owners. I am urging gun owners to consider all the news stories where parents did not secure their guns and a child died because of that decision. Don't make gun storage decisions lightly.

Related to how a firearm is stored/shared. Depends on the details of the situation, but forcing things to be taboo and therefore inspire secretive curiosity without any knowledge or skill is the primary reason people (especially children) are shot negligently. They find something that is interesting, but haven't been taught/learned how to safely handle it, and then "oops" someone's dead.

There are 5 year olds who have more firearms handling experience than adults. It entirely depends on how the family has chosen to handle the situation.

I agree with you. However, it is up to the family to make those decisions for their household. You're entitled to your opinion, and someone else may have a different one. :)

Last Edited:
Too much Drama here for me.... :s0093:
Enough with the drama, here is what my wife finally decided she wanted. Pulled the proverbial trigger. We bought the lowers and the lower kits from Rainer Arms. Now she's asking me if I just want to go get the Sig Tread M400 I've been drooling over *screams internally*. Its been a major turn around in less than a week... I still don't have a safe! We got fingerprints done for the NFA gun trust today for her SBR, going to send those off to be digitized tomorrow so we can do the eForm1, apparently those are getting approved in as few as 45 days.

It took her FOREVER to find an upper she liked. She wanted a smooth handguard like her M4, but not with the classic forward sight. Still have to figure out how to attach a sling to it.

SRB.png

I agree with you. However, it is up to the family to make those decisions for their household. You're entitled to your opinion, and someone else may have a different one. My point was the couple should work together to make that decision, not one or the other unilaterally without any consideration for the opinions of the other. Yes, it seems the wife made a unilateral decision in this case, but the OP agreed to it before marriage. He knew her opinion going into the relationship and still married her. He decided it was not a pivotal factor. He seems happy with his decision. You seem a bit worked up about it :)
Being dominated and being content with being dominated are two different topics, but the latter does not reduce the reality of the former.

I've pointed out the difference between "working together" and "acquiescing" one side entirely and allowing the other to dictate what will happen.

I think your interpretation of me being "worked up" is simply your still mixed up on what some words or phrases actually mean/represent and my explanations/examples have been hurdles for your inconsistent assessment of the situation. We can track that very clearly because how you describe the situation over your previous several posts contradicts your interpretations and assertions of what has transpired.

Being dominated and being content with being dominated are two different topics, but the latter does not reduce the reality of the former.

I've pointed out the difference between "working together" and "acquiescing" one side entirely and allowing the other to dictate what will happen.

I think your interpretation of me being "worked up" is simply your still mixed up on what some words or phrases actually mean/represent and my explanations/examples have been hurdles for your inconsistent assessment of the situation. We can track that very clearly because how you describe the situation over your previous several posts contradicts your interpretations and assertions of what has transpired.
TL;DR: Situations change, we changed. Gatta get our commonly used firearms before the people with minds so open their brains fell out use too much "common sense."

Enough with the drama, here is what my wife finally decided she wanted. Pulled the proverbial trigger. We bought the lowers and the lower kits from Rainer Arms. Now she's asking me if I just want to go get the Sig Tread M400 I've been drooling over *screams internally*. Its been a major turn around in less than a week... I still don't have a safe! We got fingerprints done for the NFA gun trust today for her SBR, going to send those off to be digitized tomorrow so we can do the eForm1, apparently those are getting approved in as few as 45 days.

It took her FOREVER to find an upper she liked. She wanted a smooth handguard like her M4, but not with the classic forward sight. Still have to figure out how to attach a sling to it.

View attachment 1345165

It's not a "Liberty", but it's a necessity! It WILL keep the kids out, unless they have some crazy, developed skills, at a young age? It will delay would be thieves more so than the uninsulated tin box that Sentry Safes sells. Something else, you'll most likely find many other things that you'll want to put in the safe too!

Costco is another place to get a decent safe for a decent price. When they have them. And you, appear, to have one fairly close by.

Last Edited:

It's not a "Liberty", but it's a necessity! It WILL keep the kids out, unless they have some crazy, developed skills, at a young age? It will delay would be thieves more so that the uninsulated tin box that Sentry Safes sells. Something else, you'll most likely find many other things that you'll want to put in the safe too!

Costco is another place to get a decent safe for a decent price. When they have them. And you, appear, to have one fairly close by.
Too big, we were looking at this one https://www.opticsplanet.com/hornady-snapsafe-in-wall-tall-safe.html

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top