JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Congrats!

I will just say.... you do your children a great service by teaching them from a young age to respect firearms and to learn safe handling practices deeply engrained throughout their formative years. You also remove the "mystery" and fear of them when they are taught and treated as the tools they are.

They might not choose to own their own when they are older, but if they do... as a parent... I know I feel much more assured with the knowledge that each of mine is intimately familiar with them and are proficient in their safe handling.

I also deeply value and feel a pressing need to have the ability, as a parent, to protect my family while they are living under my roof and if that need every presents itself.

Just sayin.....
I could not have said it better myself. Way better to teach the kids the right way than letting them find out the wrong way from the wrong person. May make a difference in how long they live.
Told my wife that if she didn't like guns then don't marry me....I still don't think she knew what she was getting into.
My wife owns nearly as many firearms as I do! Not quite, but it was a fun conversation when we were counting. :)

"...after the kids left home."
Oh FFS. Yeah, I went down that path with my ex and finally grew a pair.

Your wife was in the military, but she hasn't discovered that many armed forces personnel, when they enter, are not much more than children in adult form.
Like was said in earlier posts, get guns together, train together, teach your children together.
Seems she has some dark desires of her own. Have you guys explored BDSM?

Your wife was in the military, but she hasn't discovered that many armed forces personnel, when they enter, are not much more than children in adult form.
Like was said in earlier posts, get guns together, train together, teach your children together.
Death by snu snu!

a989573ef112804efb197b92c5873ab9.jpg
to go to Cabela's.

I told my wife I'd be buying a new gun each year before we got married. It's finally coming to an end with the passage of ip114.

She went in via ROTC in college and GI bill, she was always an officer. Both of us were Army brats and apparently in Germany at the same time. No guns till empty nest was our agreement going into marriage. People, like opinions change and grow. No dark desires, just fun memories of walking to the chow hall on LSA Anaconda having to switch sides I was walking next to her because her M16 barrel kept smacking my shin after she had to turn in her M4. She misses that M4, and hasn't really wanted to shoot anything bigger. She did get a tighter grouping than me with air rifles when we went to a hunting resort a few years ago, so she's still got it. Quarter vs dime if you are wondering. If my boys ever showed interest in scouting that was always going to be a chance to introduce them to firearms in a safe and controlled environment, just like I was.
Death by snu snu!
The spirit is willing but the body is weak and spongy!
For anything really!
I told my wife I'd be buying a new gun each year before we got married. It's finally coming to an end with the passage of ip114.
"I just want a rifle and a pistol" famous last words? Is this how it starts? "Now I need a shotgun and a bolt action, and a leveraction... and a revolver..."

All that said: picked up two stripped lowers yesterday, now we wait for the bills to drop on Monday to see how fast they get built. I was surprised how easy it was to fill out the form and submit to the background check, which came back immediately and I was able to take them home that day.
I'm glad I've been able to have a frank discussion with my wife about changing our life plan to allow us to be prepared for the worst case scenario coming out of Olympia.

"I just want a rifle and a pistol" famous last words? Is this how it starts? "Now I need a shotgun and a bolt action, and a leveraction... and a revolver..."
Was for me. What started as a general hobby quickly got boring and I turned to games.

Rimfire speed steel.
Pistol speed steel.
Cowboy action.
NRL22.
3-gun.

I haven't gotten into uspsa or idpa or prs yet…but give me time, it's coming. (And it means one or two more pews 😉)

Was for me. What started as a general hobby quickly got boring and I turned to games.

Rimfire speed steel.
Pistol speed steel.
Cowboy action.
NRL22.
3-gun.

I haven't gotten into uspsa or idpa or prs yet…but give me time, it's coming. (And it means one or two more pews 😉)
I can see myself getting a leveraction and having some nice engraving done on it. I'm holding an engraved WW1 deck gun shell casing that was turned into a lamp by my wife's 2x great grandfather that's been given to my oldest son by my wife's grandfather. Figure it would be a something nice to leave behind in the family as well, even if it may need to be rendered inoperative someday.
Growing up mostly in Texas, I went to my grandpa's in California just about every summer since I was 8 to 18 and learned western horseback riding, a quick trip down 101 and we were at my other grandparents house for wood working, and farming which included animals and the occasional meat bird (chicken and turkey) harvest.

Here's a question to ask your wife:

Honey, the kids are going to learn about a lot of things. Drugs, alcohol, sex, you name it. Even guns.

Who do you want our kids to learn from? Their friends? School? The internet?

Or us?

And when do you want them to learn? When the world decides, or when we do?

The more control we have over what they learn, when they learn it, and how they learn it, the better the outcomes, and the more information our kids will have when they encounter drugs, alcohol, sex, even guns, out in the world. They're much more likely to make good decisions if we're the ones making the call.

So honey, I think it's up to us to teach them gun safety, and we need to teach them now. I'd like to purchase a firearm and an appropriate containment device so we can be in charge of our childrens' safety.

When my kid was little I drilled the heck out of him regarding gun safety. You ever notice which kid gets shot in the classic "want to see my dad's gun" tragedy? It's almost always the guest.

If you see a gun:
1. Don't touch it
2. Don't let anyone else touch it
3. Find a grownup
4. If someone else touches it, get out of the house, and I mean right now

That's it. Four rules.

As others have said, forbidden fruit is always sweeter. If you have a gun at home and the kid gets to see it whenever he/she wants, the mystery evaporates. Want to see my dad's gun? Nope, I got one at home.

I understand your wife's reticence, but ask her who she wants your kids to learn from. Because they will, one way or another.

P

Honey, the kids are going to learn about a lot of things. Drugs, alcohol, sex, you name it. Even guns.

Or us?

The more control we have over what they learn, when they learn it, and how they learn it, the better the outcomes, and the more information our kids will have when they encounter drugs, alcohol, sex, even guns, out in the world. They're much more likely to make good decisions if we're the ones making the call.

So honey, I think it's up to us to teach them gun safety, and we need to teach them now. I'd like to purchase a firearm and an appropriate containment device so we can be in charge of our childrens' safety.

When my kid was little I drilled the heck out of him regarding gun safety. You ever notice which kid gets shot in the classic "want to see my dad's gun" tragedy? It's almost always the guest.

If you see a gun:
1. Don't touch it
3. Find a grownup

That's it. Four rules.

As others have said, forbidden fruit is always sweeter. If you have a gun at home and the kid gets to see it whenever he/she wants, the mystery evaporates. Want to see my dad's gun? Nope, I got one at home.

I understand your wife's reticence, but ask her who she wants your kids to learn from. Because they will, one way or another.
👆 This is excellent.

I guess one thing I might consider intoducing into that conversation might be to ask... is it prudent to leave ourselves and our children powerless to meet force on force during the time when our children are of the age to be the most vulnerable and powerless to defend themselves?

Forgoing that ability until such time as they are no longer living at home, and would be primarily relying on themselves anyway, seems counter-intuitive, IMHO.

With the caveat that I'm firmly in the camp of teaching children as young as possible and come from a multi generational family of firearm owners, hunters, outdoorsmen and military service members. YMMV

👆 This is excellent.

I guess one thing I might consider intoducing into that conversation might be to ask... is it prudent to leave ourselves and our children powerless to meet force on force during the time when our children are of the age to be the most vulnerable and powerless to defend themselves?

Forgoing that ability until such time as they are no longer living at home, and would be primarily relying on themselves anyway, seems counter-intuitive, IMHO.

With the caveat that I'm firmly in the camp of teaching children as young as possible and come from a multi generational family of firearm owners, hunters, outdoorsmen and military service members. YMMV
I understand your perspective, but if you consider that argument from the wife's point of view, it's not very strong.

Only because, statistically speaking, the odds of such an event are very low. I don't agree with this perspective, but it's valid. The response might be Honey, a firearm is like a parachute. If you need one you really, really need one. If you don't have one, you're highly likely not to need one ever again. Let's teach our kids all they need to know about parachutes while also teaching them to avoid needing one.

The kids are much more likely to encounter a want to see my dad's gun scenario. Leaning into this argument is much more persuasive.

P

BTW, my son is 22. If you asked him what the four rules are, he'd recite them like the times tables.

And if you handed him a firearm without first showing clear, he'd ask me who taught you firearm manners later. And even if you did show clear, he'd check it again. And then show clear before handing it back.

P

Originally I was just going to build it in secret, already figured out how to securely store it, got ready to buy parts... and it just felt wrong. So, I had the conversation.
Today, I bought two lowers on the way home from work. It was surprisingly easy, background check came back immediately, and I left with a rough estimate for finishing the rifle.

Next step is to figure out how to convince her to let me complete the lowers, then select uppers. I already know she wants a short barrel rifle, so I'm already researching filling out the paperwork for the tax stamp.
You may consider an AR-15 pistol. There are some pretty slick arm braces out there that come close to a rifle stock. That takes away the long wait for a tax stamp and extra $200.00. Just my two cents.

This has been a conversation evolving for the better part of our marriage. About five years ago we both started considering getting a pistol, I went and got my CPL and started trying out handguns. Things went into high gear today, we both read the bill. We're building soon, getting proper storage first. I asked her "What color do you want your rifle?" then came the snark about if I even think of suggesting pink... "I was going to suggest..." *motions at her purple sweater* "SOLD!"

She even talked to her anti-gun mother about it, so I know its serious.

Or us?

If you see a gun:
1. Don't touch it
3. Find a grownup

That's it. Four rules.

P
We've had the gun talk with my eight year old (oldest). We live in a pretty tight neighborhood, the only parent that I imagined being a firearm owner called me over before he would let my son come into his house. "Hey just wanted to let you know before your kid plays over here..." he felt obligated to share that he owned them, briefed me on storage, and then let me see a few of his guns when I asked. We've also been a bit concerned about my oldest boy, he has an issue with over sharing. I brought about 120 pounds of wild pig meat home from a hunt in Texas, I was not happy about getting a call from the school about how many times he said "my dad shot a pig." Years ago we dealt with another issue, he claimed a Nerf Blaster toy he wanted that another child brought to daycare and abandoned because they are not allowed. I had to repeat myself several times to the center administration, we do not have any Nerf toys, it does not belong to him. He seems to have an over interest in guns, which I was hoping we could help satisfy and get some safety training done with scouting, but the pandemic caused our local cub scout pack to disband.

You may consider an AR-15 pistol. There are some pretty slick arm braces out there that come close to a rifle stock. That takes away the long wait for a tax stamp and extra $200.00. Just my two cents.
*grumble* extremely grey area, I'd prefer to stay out of grey areas, and the AFT rules on this look like they will be coming out in about 10 days anyway. Since I would like to be able to use my wife's SBR, if we can even get it built before the ban, it looks like we would need to make an NFA trust.

If you want to do it legally, then you don't have time to complete the builds or submit the NFA forms later. After the state rammed through the mag ban last year despite massive vocal opposition, this one has a high chance of passing. And once it does the ATF will deny any Form 1's that would result in the assembly or making of a state-defined "assault weapon."

I understand your perspective, but if you consider that argument from the wife's point of view, it's not very strong.

Only because, statistically speaking, the odds of such an event are very low. I don't agree with this perspective, but it's valid. The response might be Honey, a firearm is like a parachute. If you need one you really, really need one. If you don't have one, you're highly likely not to need one ever again. Let's teach our kids all they need to know about parachutes while also teaching them to avoid needing one.

The kids are much more likely to encounter a want to see my dad's gun scenario. Leaning into this argument is much more persuasive.
I get it, but that loses traction when the "want to see my dad's gun" scenario risk can be mitigated and fully within parental control.. vs... the potential outcome of not having a firearm available to defend your family if needed. That potential need is beyond anyones control, can strike at any moment, and the potential outcome being the death of one or more of your family members.

If you don't have a parachute when you need one, it's true that you're not likely to ever need one again, but do you really want to live with the death of a loved one that "could" have been preventable... becomes the question.

Children getting into their parents firearms and having a poor end result does happen. I believe much of that lays at the feet of the parent... as so much does when parents don't take their responsibilities seriously these days. What I also know as fact though is that it is exceedingly rare and 10's of millions of famililes live with firearms in their homes on a daily basis without a single incident of mishandling.

I really don't know the stats, or even if it's true or not, but I "believe" that those families where firearm handling is taught and nurtured have a significantly higher percentage of "non-incidents" than families where firearms are present, "hidden away" and no meaningful introductions or training is provided to their children.

"Taboo/secrets" feed temptation, IMHO.

All a matter of personal choice and beliefs, but it is an interesting topic for discussion.

Kudo's pacmanwa for taking alot of the (Un-needed) coments here with dignity and grace.

This year marks 36 my wife and I have been together. We've been on the same page about nearly everything the whole time.
It's good you and the wife are also.

We have two (grown) daughters that we're integrated into the firearms scene early.
I'm grateful my wife appreciates education over fear.

Get those parts now.

This stuff is going to be unobtainable very soon.

My wife and I have been together 25 years. She brought along her own guns and I've bought more for her, and she's bought a couple for me. I taught the son how to shoot, but he doesn't have much interest. He does know how to handle firearms safely.
The daughter, now a mother, has her CHL.

I think I done good. :)

Kudo's pacmanwa for taking alot of the (Un-needed) coments here with dignity and grace.

This year marks 36 my wife and I have been together. We've been on the same page about nearly everything the whole time.
It's good you and the wife are also.

We have two (grown) daughters that we're integrated into the firearms scene early.
I'm grateful my wife appreciates education over fear.

Get those parts now.

This stuff is going to be unobtainable very soon.
There have been a few times we were not on the same page, and that's ok, so long as we understood what the other's opinion was and why. After reading prior bills and rumors of what the HB1180 bill was, I bought lowers as an insurance policy. After reading the bill my wife slept on it for one night and we switched into high gear to get them built.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top