JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Congrats!

I will just say.... you do your children a great service by teaching them from a young age to respect firearms and to learn safe handling practices deeply engrained throughout their formative years. You also remove the "mystery" and fear of them when they are taught and treated as the tools they are.

They might not choose to own their own when they are older, but if they do... as a parent... I know I feel much more assured with the knowledge that each of mine is intimately familiar with them and are proficient in their safe handling.

I also deeply value and feel a pressing need to have the ability, as a parent, to protect my family while they are living under my roof and if that need every presents itself.

Just sayin.....
Why don't you just buy a safe or two instead of parts then buy fully built firearms. I have a 7 and 4 year old and I have many firearms in the house in hand safes and some long guns in the garage in a big stand up safe. I have also let my 7 year old shot my Glock 44 .22LR and he loved it. 8 years old is a good age to start to introduce them to guns and gun safety.

Why don't you just buy a safe or two instead of parts then buy fully built firearms. I have a 7 and 4 year old and I have many firearms in the house in hand safes and some long guns in the garage in a big stand up safe. I have also let my 7 year old shot my Glock 44 .22LR and he loved it. 8 years old is a good age to start to introduce them to guns and gun safety.
My bubblegumty childhood is between me and the crappy therapist I fired. i-1639 makes it between me, my therapist and the state.

The plan was always to get a sporting rifle and handgun after the kids (8 and 4 now) left home. My wife has been very firm about no firearms in the house while we have small children. I presented her with the very real possibility of a Washington state assault weapons ban during this legislative session, citing prior attempts and bills and the support it has garnered.
I then presented a compromise of buying lowers. She agreed, but wanted to know the differences and possibilities of them being used as an M16/M4. She's a veteran and has very little experience with firearms and firearm laws outside the military. The best part is I discovered she wants a rifle as well, but had originally dismissed the idea because she thought getting something the size of her issued M4 would be illegal... then we move to talking about SBRs and NFA tax stamps... the next year is going to be interesting, but it looks like I'm in the market for some lowers now!

Do you have a CPL or any pistols in the Washington database?
CPL, no mental health check required. Purchasing a handgun or rifle one is. I don't believe I would be denied on the grounds of mental health, but I don't know how far access to records go. I'd rather keep childhood trama private.
pacmanwa, consider 14.5" pinned-and-welded upper. The inch and a half difference is noticeable.

Joe
What attachment on a 14.5" do you recommend over a 16" barrel? Flash hider, compensator or muzzle break? I'm suspecting one of the first two?

CPL, no mental health check required. Purchasing a handgun or rifle one is. I don't believe I would be denied on the grounds of mental health, but I don't know how far access to records go. I'd rather keep childhood trama private.

What attachment on a 14.5" do you recommend over a 16" barrel? Flash hider, compensator or muzzle break? I'm suspecting one of the first two?
I'm a big fan of the linear compensator. Louder on the business end, quieter on the shooter's end. It helps a bit with muzzle rise too.

CPL, yes. Pistol, yes. Semi automatic rifle, yes. Manual rifle, no. https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

CPL, no mental health check required. Purchasing a handgun or rifle one is.

17EB01BE-01E2-460F-8F19-1B09041B047C.jpeg

Interesting approach. If that was what it took to keep the children safe in the household then sure, good decision.

We've gone the route of teaching firearm safety to our child since before she could walk. It started with "guns no no"

Then progressed to "guns are not for babys"

She's now about 21 months old, has spent her entire cognizant life seeing guns on my hip and can articulate "gun no baby" when asked about guns. When she's about 4 we'll likely do some bb gun shooting together and then .22lr

She'll probably be competing at 10, or at least competently handling them.

I'm a big fan of the linear compensator. Louder on the business end, quieter on the shooter's end. It helps a bit with muzzle rise too.
Simple fh like an A2. I recently shot a 10-12" ish pistol with a linear comp, indoors. It was not unpleasant. I really don't see the need for a recoil reducing brake for .223/5.56.
Was just at the indoor range, two lanes over from a guy shooting Wolf steel cased from a pistol AR....geez, the flash, boom, and pressure was an attention getter! Forget the brake.

Joe

I'd like one on my AR pistol as the brake makes it completely obnoxious. Then I saw the price and cringed. I think the gun would be almost the same without the brake, minus the recoil reduction. But for Heaven's Sake, it's a 5.56, not a 30-06!

I'd like one on my AR pistol as the brake makes it completely obnoxious. Then I saw the price and cringed. I think the gun would be almost the same without the brake, minus the recoil reduction. But for Heaven's Sake, it's a 5.56, not a 30-06!
I've got linear comps on most of my AR pistols. It makes a big difference to me. I don't bother with the $100+ ones. I shop around and buy something decent on sale for $60.

I applaud you and your wife having this discussion and making the decision as a team. Hats off to your deliberation skills 👍

I do not applaud the small handful of jerks giving you a hard time about it. A good marriage is built on mutual respect, and you two obviously have that.

I'm sure you guys will handle the delicate conversation with your son just fine. He will no doubt be enamored with the new, exciting device. Perhaps consider getting him something equally exciting a day or two after he learns about the weapon that will be his sharing subject, kind of a distraction.

I applaud you and your wife having this discussion and making the decision as a team. Hats off to your deliberation skills 👍

I do not applaud the small handful of jerks giving you a hard time about it. A good marriage is built on mutual respect, and you two obviously have that.

I'm sure you guys will handle the delicate conversation with your son just fine. He will no doubt be enamored with the new, exciting device. Perhaps consider getting him something equally exciting a day or two after he learns about the weapon that will be his sharing subject, kind of a distraction.
A good marriage is based on honesty - if you can fake that, you got it made. :D

Not really. :)

I've got linear comps on most of my AR pistols. It makes a big difference to me. I don't bother with the $100+ ones. I shop around and buy something decent on sale for $60.
The brake on mine is also an AAC can adapter. When I looked at the linear comp for that brake, it was expensive. $150 or more. I've decided that I want to take the brake off and just give it a try as is. If I don't like it then, I'll go shopping for something that threads directly onto the barrel.

The brake on mine is also an AAC can adapter. When I looked at the linear comp for that brake, it was expensive. $150 or more. I've decided that I want to take the brake off and just give it a try as is. If I don't like it then, I'll go shopping for something that threads directly onto the barrel.
All of my brakes/comps are threaded. I have one gun with a tri-lug. Never got an adapter for it. When I use the suppressor, I unscrew the tri-lug and screw on the suppressor. :D

My wife and I met at Lassen college, co-ed dorms. She was there on a sports scholarship I was there in the gunsmithing program. She didn't stand a chance. Lol. Some of the other students loved it when she came into the shop. A few even let her assemble/dissasemble and of course we would all go out shooting together. Good times.. 33 years later I wouldn't change a thing.

Interesting take. From the beginning it sounded like his wife made the decision and then his wife allowed a change to the initial decision after he presented current events. I find it comical that the term "mutual respect"is applied to a situation where one side is still clearly dominating the situation and the other side needs what amounts to permission to make a decision.

Those "jerks" might be noticing that as well and are wondering where that "mutual respect is" you're talking about.

Yep... I started doing research and then planning my buys and how to store and where to store so she wouldn't find out... then this YouTube video I watched years ago popped up in the back of my head:

If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something wrong.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something immoral.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something you are ashamed of.
If you're sneaking, you feel you're doing something that will get you in trouble.

Which is why I had the conversation with my wife to begin with... I didn't want to sneak on purchasing once I had my ducks in a row and my mind made up.

She agreed to lowers, then saw the house and senate bills. Now we build rifles.

My wife is my partner, unlike many of our co-workers, our marriage survived the pandemic.
She helped put me through college, I helped her survive cancer, we bought a house together. This is a partnership not a dictatorship.
My opinion on firearms moved much faster than her opinion did, but it did move.

I had to have this very conversation about sneaking with my eight year old son who was hiding in the closet...
...playing his Nintendo Switch instead of doing his homework because I forgot to disable the free playtime after Christmas vacation.

He now understands sneaking is wrong.

I feel we'll reveal the guns to the kids when we start building them. Maybe.
Interesting approach. If that was what it took to keep the children safe in the household then sure, good decision.

We've gone the route of teaching firearm safety to our child since before she could walk. It started with "guns no no"

Then progressed to "guns are not for babys"

She's now about 21 months old, has spent her entire cognizant life seeing guns on my hip and can articulate "gun no baby" when asked about guns. When she's about 4 we'll likely do some bb gun shooting together and then .22lr

She'll probably be competing at 10, or at least competently handling them.
Its been a slow introduction to guns, there were "issues" at day care... even calling a stick a gun was strictly verboten. The workers at the daycare always had a way of making you feel like a terrible parent for the smallest infraction and yet let other kids get away with beating my child into the ground. "We didn't see it!" *shows video* "How dare you record another parent's child!" Yeah... good to see childhood trauma runs in the family.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top