JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personal defense weapons (PDWs) are a class of compact selective fire, magazine-fed, submachine gun like firearms – essentially a hybrid between a submachine gun and compact assault rifle. Most PDWs fire a small-caliber, high-velocity bottleneck cartridge, resembling a small or shortened intermediate rifle cartridge. This gives the PDW better range, accuracy and armor-penetrating capability than submachine guns, which fire pistol-caliber cartridges.

Ordered one of the Extar EP-9s this afternoon and am confused as to what the proper term for it is.
IMO "PCC" is the term that people actually use to describe guns like this (including MP5 and others). Technically though a "carbine" is a short rifle. Note that what a certain shooting range or competition calls a "carbine" or "pistol" can be very variable.

The term that really matters though IMO is "pistol" because that determines what the ATF thinks of it. You can't put a rifle stock on it legally nor a vertical foregrip.

Here are a few comments unrelated to the original Q FYI and feel free to ignore:

U can buy this red dot reflex for $27 that works great on this gun: https://www.amazon.com/d/Airsoft-Gun-Sights/Fyland-Green-Reflex-Sight-reticles/B075MCP3WQ

If u want a smaller form factor for putting in a backpack etc. then a folding brace with Law Tactical adapter is the best option IMO but dead foot arms, sylvan systems, and others exist.

I can recommend nightstrike angled foregrip for this gun depending on how u like to hold it: Nightstrike Diamondback Angled Foregrip The only thing I don't like about this grip is that it uses only 1 screw to attach so can get a bit wobbly and need to retourque it. Should have two attachment screws. But that's a minor thing. Here is a pic of it using a c clamp hold. Looks like this pic was taken before the ATF letter came out which says it is legal to shoulder a sig brace that must be why he is holding it so far away/using as a cheek rest.
mqdefault.jpg

Last Edited:
U can buy this red dot reflex for $27 that works great on this gun: https://www.amazon.com/d/Airsoft-Gun-Sights/Fyland-Green-Reflex-Sight-reticles/B075MCP3WQ

If u want a smaller form factor for putting in a backpack etc. then a folding brace with Law Tactical adapter is the best option IMO but dead foot arms, sylvan systems, and others exist.

I can recommend nightstrike angled foregrip for this gun depending on how u like to hold it: Nightstrike Diamondback Angled Foregrip The only thing I don't like about this grip is that it uses only 1 screw to attach so can get a bit wobbly and need to retourque it. Should have two attachment screws. But that's a minor thing. Here is a pic of it using a c clamp hold. Looks like this pic was taken before the ATF letter came out which says it is legal to shoulder a sig brace that must be why he is holding it so far away/using as a cheek rest.
View attachment 554325

I've got a ADE reflex sight I used on my G29 for a while that I'm planning on installing. Also have a Bushnell red dot, and a Burris Fastfire 3 that's currently on my G19 that may be removed and used on the EP-9.

Never used the angled foregrip but am tempted. Installing a light as it will be used as a HD weapon and will have to see how everything fits and feels.

That Law Tactical adapter is fascinating! But at more than half the cost of the gun, seems a bit ridiculous.

I've got a ADE reflex sight I used on my G29 for a while that I'm planning on installing. Also have a Bushnell red dot, and a Burris Fastfire 3 that's currently on my G19 that may be removed and used on the EP-9.

Never used the angled foregrip but am tempted. Installing a light as it will be used as a HD weapon and will have to see how everything fits and feels.

That Law Tactical adapter is fascinating! But at more than half the cost of the gun, seems a bit ridiculous.
Totally agree about law adapter cost. Someone has to really want a folder to spend that much. Awesome on the red dots. That will be a cool setup.

Fwiw re light I mounted an extra pic rail at the 2 o'clock position and used an offset mount so that light was at 3 o clock position. The reason was to get the light out of the top "line of sight" as much as possible. If not using an angled grip or stop then existing pic rail on bottom might be an option too depending on mount size, grip used, and personal preference.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top