JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only way to fly.
From Schmucklpedia

IMG_7575.png

I want a Pistol Caliber Carbine in 9mm and thought I would ask the crew here who they think makes the best one.
Imo depends on what your priorities are. Fe size, accuracy, smooth shooting. My recommendations based on owning quite a few of them:

Smooth shooting:
1a. Sig mpx or similar (expensive)
1b. Mp5 roller delayed (mke has been made since 1970s on hk tooling and costs only $1000)
1c. Mp5k (suggest mke @$1000)
2. cmmg radial delayed (various guard, banshee)
3. Stribog semi roller delayed

Accuracy:
1. Stribog (it really is unbelievably accurate in real world shooting, at least early ones with fantastic trigger, have not shot newer flat trigger ones)
2. Everything else

Size:
1. This one is tricky but best overall size to me hands down is Glock 17l, or 34, or 17 with B&T usw (cost is $355 + Glock + stamp)
07CAC849-A55F-41A4-BF8C-089E393BB41D.jpeg

1b. P320 with USW
2. Mp5k
3. Everything else that doesn't have a buffer
4. I would not bother with anything with a buffer. Too much size for no benefit in 9mm imo. Limits where you can store and how you can use (Fe in vehicle). In contrast Glock with USW you can carry in fleece jacket inside pocket or holster. Mp5 can go on sling pack. Both can be shot with stock folded.

I don't know enough about these to comment:

Cmmg dissent
Evo
Flux raider
Probably a whole lot of others like that $439 one UTas I think its called that I know very little about

If it were me buying right now based on everything I know I would go with either mke mp5 or mp5k clone, or Glock with USW. If accuracy was paramount and didn't care about other stuff I would go with early Stribog (non reciprocating, dual rod ideally). Others might have different opinions.

Here is a good review of mke gun. It's called AP5 or AP5p now (century is the importer now, no longer zenith).

Last Edited:
Build yourself a banshee clone with the CMMG RDB BCG and barrel combo. Get an aero XL upper to attach to the lower of your choice and go exactly as you would for any AR-15 build from there.

I built mine in .45ACP for about half the cost of a brand name banshee with the same brand name parts.

My experience:

Ruger PC, nice but heavy.
I really like my Beretta CX4, very light and is really handy. Some hate the trigger I think it's fine for the purpose of the firearm.
Stribog SP9A3 really, really like it...accuracy is phenomenal!!

Good luck!

Good question. These days that's like asking who makes the best AR15.

I'd skip the names and state things like, blowback is the best. IE less crap to deal with F'ing up the function of the firearm. Not that others don't function 100%, they just have more parts that can fail. Blowbacks can run almost any ammo, can be tuned to run extremely soft, and are usually less expensive and more available. As much as the internet argues that there is less felt recoil with some form of delayed action, it's really hard to tell unless you have shot a ton of different PCCs. They all suppress nicely too.

There are literally tons of straight blowback options on the market now. Most will be extremely reliable. You can go crazy and get a very well made B&T which will be worth every penny, or a modest PSA AR pattern blowback that will set you back maybe $400. You can put an AR based PCC together too. There are inexpensive but good quality options like the Extar products. There are funky folding options like the new Smith and Wesson Keltec copy-cat. There is a version that accepts just about any pistol magazine in existence. The list goes on.

Define best and budget. Transferable MP5 might be the top one, but is probably out of most of our budgets.

There are lots of good ones.

Controversial opinion: My favorite semi auto is an MPA Arms defender. You are probably not going to see that one repeated too often. I looked at getting a B & T but I couldn't do it. I could not figure out what the heck was supposed to get better.

Non controversial opinion: Glock mags just work

Last Edited:
"Best"? Like adult diapers, it Depends. Henry's has a nice , classic (non-Rambo) 9mm carbine. Wood and metal. Blowback operated. Swapable mag well accepts Glock, Sig or Smith mags.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 2.01.05 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads