JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although I agree with much of has been written above, one size fits all carrying is BS. I cross-draw - it keeps the gun riding my hip and not pointing at my leg, foot or junk. It also seems to make it easier to clear my clothing one handed. I normally wear a vest and cross-draw seems to be easier FOR ME. Do what is most comfortable and safe for you and those around you.

I carried cross draw for many years, always in a hybrid leather/kydex holster that has both positive retention and trigger cover. It's never been an issue for me to holster, or re holster as needed with this type of gear. The last several years I have been carrying in a shoulder holster that has really good retention and trigger cover and it's secure enough to be able to re holster one handed with out ever pointing at anyone or anything! What it all comes down to is having gear that both makes carry safe, as well as drawing and re holstering! Not saying this is a golden rule or anything but the right gear makes all the difference!
My old IWB holster didn't allow an easy re holster, as it was deep enough that I had to worry about catching the trigger on clothing on its way into the holster, not a good idea, and why I chose a different rig entirely!

IMO, when handling a firearm in the real world one should be able to do so safely and competently, including holstering, while the firearm is loaded and in proximity to other people.

Last Edited:
I should also add that a proper holster totally and completely covers the trigger guard in such a fashion that nothing (not even a thin wire like an open paper clip) can get inside <snip>
That is impossible with a full size WML such as an X300U. The light is wider than the trigger area and therefore the trigger is accessible by little booger hooks.

I put gun into holster first and then put holstered gun on to belt. This seems like right thing to do since I don't have to holster with gun pointed down leg. And since I take off holster with gun inside, the next time I go out, there's no need to holster gun.

Is this just common sense? or am i missing something and doing something wrong?

Picture yourself in a class (or worse a defensive encounter) doing what you described.

Administrative duties are where a large portion of accidents can happen, therfore you want to do them the same way for consistency and memory. You should be able to safely reholster without sweeping your body or looking at the process the same as if you needed to reholster in/after a real world encounter. A basic DH1 class will teach you these fundamentals your looking for.

Administrative duties are where a large portion of accidents can happen, therfore you want to do them the same way for consistency and memory. You should be able to safely reholster without sweeping your body or looking at the process the same as if you needed to reholster in/after a real world encounter. A basic DH1 class will teach you these fundamentals your looking for.
I think you're nuts if you re-holster at appendix WITHOUT looking the gun into the holster. And if you are unable to take your eyes off of something for a few seconds to re-holster, it ain't time to re-hoslter yet.

Take as many classes as you can.

Find a range that will let you draw/fire/reholster. Anything less than live fire practice and you are not prepared for a real self defense encounter.

Join an IDPA club and shoot a few matches as a newbie, or just go as a guest to a club that will allow you to shoot a match w/o joining.

I think you're nuts if you re-holster at appendix WITHOUT looking the gun into the holster. And if you are unable to take your eyes off of something for a few seconds to re-holster, it ain't time to re-hoslter yet.
There different philosophies on this but this is what I was taught in class. The OP didnt specify appendix holsters so my reply is regarding belt holsters.

No joke! I've been carrying daily for over 10 years and I look every single time I reholster in my appendix carry holster. I understand the thought process for duty carry on range belt. I do that without looking but never appendix carry.

There different philosophies on this but this is what I was taught in class. The OP didnt specify appendix holsters so my reply is regarding belt holsters.
When I am at an IDPA match, I look the gun into the holster out of an abundance of caution. However, when I live practice on my own, I do not in order to maintain tactical awareness.

I holster at 3:30 on my belt with a cover garment.

Finger out of the trigger guard and placed alongside the slide. Cover garment must be swept back to ensure it does not get into the trigger guard because it can depress the trigger upon holstering. We know this, but newbies often don't.

When I am at an IDPA match, I look the gun into the holster out of an abundance of caution. However, when I live practice on my own, I do not in order to maintain tactical awareness.

Finger out of the trigger guard and placed alongside the slide. Cover garment must be swept back to ensure it does not get into the trigger guard because it can depress the trigger upon holstering. We know this, but newbies often don't.
Thats what I was taught, also to sweep your hand between your body and gun after its holstered as a double check any clothing didnt wedge in there.

IDPA also doesn't allow you to carry at the appendix position during competition.

Many DH1 classes wont allow appendix holster for this reason. Mine didnt.
Since then Ive bought and used one. I did some reading and use a "crotch thrust" technique to reholster. I dont need to look at the holster to reholster safely.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top