JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding flagging/sweeping oneself while drawing and holstering, maximum effort should be made to minimize it but anyone thinking they are not doing it is living in fantasy land. There use to be a great video using a laser to show it.

Covered a little @ 3:05...

Many DH1 classes wont allow appendix holster for this reason. Mine didnt.
Since then Ive bought and used one. I did some reading and use a "crotch thrust" technique to reholster. I dont need to look at the holster to reholster safely.
I can see it in a foundation class where it is expected that students have little to no experience and therefore add an extra level of concern, but personally I would not take a CCW class that would not allow me to AIWB. Crossdraw, shoulder-rigs, SOB, Serpas I get but not allowing AIWB is BS IMO.

I can see it in a foundation class where it is expected that students have little to no experience and therefore add an extra level of concern, but personally I would not take a CCW class that would not allow me to AIWB. Crossdraw, shoulder-rigs, SOB, Serpas I get but not allowing AIWB is BS IMO.
Ive only seen this restriction in beginner classes.
Im undecided, i can see both arguments on this.

Proper holstering technique will NEVER have ANY part of your anatomy covered by the firearm, both coming out and going back in. This is true regardless of the method of carry. ***
You must have skipped leg day. Strong side carry, ~4:00-5:00 o' clock. Slight cant. The butt cheek, it gets flagged no matter what.

One of the things that bothers me at classes is when extremely experienced shooters seem to throw their loaded guns back in holsters like it is a race. Even when instructors are reminding them...frequently...that holstering is administrative and should be done slowly and carefully. When the two most likely times for a ND are when the gun is coming out or going back into a holster, patience and perfect practice is a must.

You could get away with much more on a 12 pound DA revolver or DA/SA semiauto, noticing if something was pressing on a trigger. Striker fired guns with no manual safety and tuned 4 pound (or less) triggers will not be as forgiving. Lot's of good comments and input here.

The way I look at it is if someone chooses carry AIWB it behoves them to take classes that allow them to focus on the mode of carry.
Agree, i can see the arguments against teaching it in the beginner class but ultimately its an option so your right...

Maybe it is just me, but isn't holstering and unholstering one's firearm a BASIC skill?

I am not trying to be sarcastic (for once😂)!

Serious gun ownership is going to require you to occasionally handle your gun. Holstering activities are not 'optional' or 'advanced'; they are as basic as getting in and out of your car.

There is no race to reholster. It should be done with precision, care, consideration of the risks. But if it is an activity that causes you more anxiety than tying your shoes, I would respectfully submit your training focus is off.

Safe administrative gun handling is just as important to gun ownership as shooting 1" circles.

You may not shoot a baddie or a target every time you draw, but unless you are using disposable guns you will be reholstering every time.

No charge for the rant. Peace!

Reading all of these reminds me why I prefer a handgun with an exposed hammer. One other way to key on that something has entered the trigger area and is trying to depress the trigger. Took me a long time to figure out this is the reason I was not fond of striker fired handguns. (Nothing wrong with them, just not my handgun of normal choice).

Index trigger finger, clear garments, holster up, draw, repeat.

The biggest problem I see is while 'feeling' for the opening of the holster with the muzzle, some people will slightly angle the firearm toward their body in order to guide it into the holster more easily. While this may aid in re-holstering, it's dangerous and leaves no margin for error...

Maybe it is just me, but isn't holstering and unholstering one's firearm a BASIC skill?

I am not trying to be sarcastic (for once😂)!

Serious gun ownership is going to require you to occasionally handle your gun. Holstering activities are not 'optional' or 'advanced'; they are as basic as getting in and out of your car.

There is no race to reholster. It should be done with precision, care, consideration of the risks. But if it is an activity that causes you more anxiety than tying your shoes, I would respectfully submit your training focus is off.

Safe administrative gun handling is just as important to gun ownership as shooting 1" circles.

You may not shoot a baddie or a target every time you draw, but unless you are using disposable guns you will be reholstering every time.

No charge for the rant. Peace!
Agree with your post other than I would definitely not classify holster use as a basic skill. Safety, sight alignment / picture, trigger press, stance, breathing...these are basic skills. If you are using a holster / EDC do they need to be included as a fundamental foundation? Absolutely!

When I get a new holster, I'll do many, sometimes hundreds, of draws and reholsters with and empty / SIRT gun. Different clothing, concealment positions, etc. This is just not possible to do in a "basic" class. In my CCW/CHL classes, we go over holster draw on one day, they get homework to draw and reholster with unloaded guns. The next session we confirm all is good with unloaded guns before moving to live draws.

I think many of us who have been carrying for a few years / decades underestimate how intimidating loaded holster draw / reholstering is for those who have not been doing it for a while, even experienced shooters. As noted prior, I think this is one of the areas where EDC gun owners become complacent, especially reholstering.

Appreciate your post (rant as you call it)

Agree with your post other than I would definitely not classify holster use as a basic skill. Safety, sight alignment / picture, trigger press, stance, breathing...these are basic skills. If you are using a holster / EDC do they need to be included as a fundamental foundation? Absolutely!

When I get a new holster, I'll do many, sometimes hundreds, of draws and reholsters with and empty / SIRT gun. Different clothing, concealment positions, etc. This is just not possible to do in a "basic" class. In my CCW/CHL classes, we go over holster draw on one day, they get homework to draw and reholster with unloaded guns. The next session we confirm all is good with unloaded guns before moving to live draws.

I think many of us who have been carrying for a few years / decades underestimate how intimidating loaded holster draw / reholstering is for those who have not been doing it for a while, even experienced shooters. As noted prior, I think this is one of the areas where EDC gun owners become complacent, especially reholstering.

Appreciate your post (rant as you call it)
We are on the same page. It is difficult to express a general statement that applies to all of us, because 'we' all have very different ranges of experience and activity.

I consider holstering activity a basic skill because I am thinking in the context of EDC. Unless you walk around all day with your sidearm in your hand, you are going to need to be able to holster and unholster your weapon IN PUBLIC! The last two words, in my mind, promote holstering to a 'basic' skill - not that it is easy or intuitive, but that it is an absolutely necessary skill.

I agree with your point about underestimating the anxiety around holstering, and I am very far from a noob.

But all of my previous shooting was staged - target practice, hunting, plinking, etc. NO holstering required, and it was not a strong part of my skill set. My holstering game is solid NOW because I was afraid of blowing my own butt off. As soon as I realized I was afraid of my own gun, I trained my way out of it.

Index trigger finger, clear garments, holster up, draw, repeat.

The biggest problem I see is while 'feeling' for the opening of the holster with the muzzle, some people will slightly angle the firearm toward their body in order to guide it into the holster more easily. While this may aid in re-holstering, it's dangerous and leaves no margin for error...
I practice finding it with my thumb, even if I'm looking, and from there it's a memorizable motion. But never do it on autopilot, is my rule. Never.

Oh man does my head hurt from reading all this, guess I've never had given it much thought. Past 37 years carried a 1911 cocked locked and one in the pipe with the grip wrapped with a bunch of rubber bands, I just stick it anywhere I want inside my waist band. No holes anywhere in my body and my junk is still intact although subject to the occasional FTF.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top