JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I put gun into holster first and then put holstered gun on to belt. This seems like right thing to do since I don't have to holster with gun pointed down leg. And since I take off holster with gun inside, the next time I go out, there's no need to holster gun.

Is this just common sense? or am i missing something and doing something wrong?

I would say that one needs to practice with the handgun unloaded...and find the best* way for them to holster their handgun.

*By "best" ...I mean to say what is safe and works for them...which may be different for someone else...even if they have the same handgun and holster.
Andy

Proper holstering technique will NEVER have ANY part of your anatomy covered by the firearm, both coming out and going back in. This is true regardless of the method of carry. ***

I'd also say that avoiding holstering the gun is really not what you want to do. I'm of the camp that says one should frequently practice holstering and unholstering as it's a very technical, precise and perishable skill. Those that I train hear me recommend 25 practice draws / returns per day. It only takes a couple of minutes per day and cements the skills necessary to prevail if one really does have to draw under pressure.

Another issue is basic universal gun handling rules requiring one always checking the status of the gun upon handling. Are you expecting the gun to be loaded? Check that it is. Are you expecting it to be unloaded? Check! As part of your arming routine you should always verify the firearm is loaded, the magazine is full and properly seated and the slide fully forward. You need to unholster and reholster to do this. Typically the best way to return a loaded gun to a holster is when it's in it's position on your body, not held in your hand. This makes if far easier to keep from flagging yourself and requires only one hand, so your off hand is well away from the muzzle.

*** Having stated what I did above, I should add that there are reasons that shoulder harnesses, cross draw, and small of the back carry is frowned upon (or outright banned by some agencies) and safely drawing and returning the firearm is one of them. While you can draw from these carries without flagging oneself (or bystanders) it's very difficult and not something I'd want to have to do under life-or-death pressure. I'd stick with appendix or strong side 3:00 - 5:00 O'clock positioning as they are much easier to keep the muzzle pointed in a direction that is safe for you and those that may be around you.

Last Edited:
I should also add that a proper holster totally and completely covers the trigger guard in such a fashion that nothing (not even a thin wire like an open paper clip) can get inside and that it stays open after the draw allowing a one handed return. It should also allow a full firing grip while the firearm is totally seated in place (with trigger finger indexed straight and outside of the holster of course) so you don't have to "massage" the grip during the draw stoke.

Typically the best way to return a loaded gun to a holster is when it's in it's position on your body, not held in your hand. This makes if far easier to keep from flagging yourself and requires only one hand, so your off hand is well away from the muzzle.
Can you help me understand this little better? I've been holstering gun with gun and holster pointed in safe direction. Direction is easy to control. If holster is already on body, muzzle might not be pointed at me depending on carry position but it will be close?

I'll give it a try! It's much easier to demonstrate than to type out.

Appendix Carry:

When returning the firearm to an appendix holster start from your working space. *** Transition the pistol to "position SUL" (YouTube that one if you are not familiar) keeping your firing hand thumb against your chest. This will have the firearm pointing down and out from you body at about a 15-20 degree angle. Step back with your firing side foot and thrust your hips forward. This will move your foot away from the muzzle path and further angle the muzzle away from your body. Now slowly slide your firing thumb down your chest until the muzzle contacts the holster. Since the firearm is tilted out and away from you body the firearm will actually contact the holster an inch or so behind the muzzle. At this point gently lift the firearm until the muzzle can enter the holster and keeping it tilted away seat the gun. At no time will the muzzle ever point at you and if it went off the hit would be very close (but still missing) your body helping to keep safe any that may be close to you.

While doing this your support hand is held flat and firm to your chest keeping it out of the way, or before moving the gun down the support hand clears and contains the cover garment, holding it firmly to the chest keeping both the garment and hand clear of the gun.

Once you have separated your hands and are moving toward the holster the firing thumb goes on the back of the slide / hammer. If you have a hammer fired gun, and somehow the trigger gets bound up during seating the gun you will feel the hammer start to move and you can stop pushing the gun forward to investigate the cause. With a striker fired gun, you are ensuring the slide stays in battery during the seating process.

I also feel you should always look the gun into the holster. A self-defender is not a police officer, and as such has no need to rapidly holster a gun. We should always return the gun slowly and cautiously. If the threat scenario is such that you can not afford to look away and toward the holster you have no business reholstering in the first place. Keep the firearm out, get yourself out of the danger area and then secure the firearm.

Strong Side Carry:

Start from you working space. Keeping your firing thumb in contact with your body rotate your elbow up as you slide the thumb down across your chest and ribs. Keep the firearm pointing down and out from your body at about a 15 degree angle. Rotate the gun toward the holster until the muzzle touches the front of the holster. From here gently lift the firearm until the muzzle can enter the holster and gently seat the gun.

Just prior to moving toward the holster bring your feet together. This ensures your firing side foot is well outside the path of an errant round should you have a discharge while holstering. The other elements (support hand, look into the holster, etc.) apply here as well.

I hope this is at least a bit clearer than mud! Where in PDX are you. Perhaps we can connect sometime for a demonstration. If this causes more questions than answers I'm sorry, but happy to try and answer more.

*** This is the area close in and in front of your chest also called "high compressed ready", "thumb / pectoral index", "working zone", "home position" among other terms.

Regarding holstering the gun while holding the holster, you can do this safely. It just requires strict attention as your support hand is so close to the action. The correct way (to my way of thinking anyway) is to hold the holster flat in front of you with the right side pointing up (reverse for lefties). Then bring the firearm down on top of the holster pretty much as if you were trying to put it into place through the side of the holster. Then slowly ease the firearm back (with a slight upward tilt) until the muzzle can enter the open top and then gently seat the gun. Since you have your support hand in front of the gun when doing this it's imperative you keep an upward tilt the firearm until the muzzle has started into the holster, and keep it tilted away from your hand until the holster forces the firearm to straighten out. By then the muzzle will be almost in front of your support hand.

Of course, the trigger finger is indexed on the frame the whole time and the thumb is on the back of the slide / hammer.

The only thing I can say for certain is be careful of the trigger. Years ago before I carried chambered, my G33 came out later in the day with the trigger in the 'fired" position and I never knew I had inadvertently pulled the trigger upon holstering. That was the last time I carried in a leather holster.

Practice. Practice. Practice. I would get in the routine of drawing and holstering from the waistline no matter what position you carry. Just go slow when placing the firearm back in your holster. It's not a race. Make sure your garments are clear and there are no obstructions in the holster. A quality holster and belt along with practice will make a huge difference. There are no different safety concerns whether the holster is in your hands or along you belt line. Just follow the firearm safety rules and you will be fine. Also I don't know if you are new to carrying but please don't be in the camp of carrying an empty chambered gun.

Just follow the firearm safety rules and you will be fine. Also I don't know if you are new to carrying but please don't be in the camp of carrying an empty chambered gun.
I got CHL about month ago. At first, I was carrying without round in chamber out of abundance of caution. About week ago, i switched to one in chamber.

Before getting license, I did do tons of drawing practice while walking around the house ( with empty gun and magazine of course).

I holster with the gun pointing directly away from me at a safe area (generally my 400 ft deep back yard, though through the wall of my house). I unholster in the same manner, gun pointed away to safe area. This is because of the type of holster I use, which even in an emergency, when you need it most and are most likely to screw up and shoot your own leg by accident (unlikely if you train, but possible), doesn't allow you to unholster with the weapon pointed anywhere other than directly away from you.

What I use is a trigger guard holster with the firearm carried at the appendix. This allows me to holster up anytime, anywhere, pointed any direction, then each time I want to carry the gun I just put the string around my belt and tuck it away. If I want to take it off I reverse the process. The entire time the firearm remains completely holstered, yet the manipulation to tuck it is trivially easy. I can even remove it, examine it, and put it back without ever unholstering. I only have to unholster for compelling reasons, which aside from emergencies (hopefully never have one) means just for practice or maintenance. Other than that, I am always manipulating a holstered firearm, and it is very safe.

Howdy OP,

First let say mine is opinion formed from carrying concealed for 48 years, that makes me older than Glock handguns :D

I find over the years that if a man concentrate on the safety rules while he builds familiarity with his firearm then he will find what works for him. You will do best if you develop a muscle memory through repition of handling your firearm from the position you carry it. Just focus on safety first and everything else in your draw presentation and return to holster will iron out.

Good luck to you and stay safe.

Timely. I'm scheduled for an in person class next week on handgun + holster. I'll actually ask the OP question. Personally I always put on my holster empty, then put the firearm in the holster.

Per usual the comments are superb. What a great forum!

"It's not a race." Wisdom in four words!

"Those that I train hear me recommend 25 practice draws / returns per day." This! Ahh, if only thinking a lot about something was practice. It's not! Unless I practice it's all for nothing.

"The only thing I can say for certain is be careful of the trigger." For me trigger discipline is THE most important thing to concentrate on.

"Just focus on safety first and everything else in your draw presentation and return to holster will iron out." Sums it up.

Never seemed very complicated to me. Gun goes in holster, trigger doesn't get pulled in process by either finger or clothing related obstruction. Care is maintained to insure that doesn't happen and to avoid unnecessary pointing gun at your body parts throughout process.

For appendix carry the gun is basically always pointed at your junk or legs depending on angle. It is critical that you choose a reliable/safe holster design and a reliable/safe gun if you are going to run around all day in that manner.

Never seemed very complicated to me. Gun goes in holster, trigger doesn't get pulled in process by either finger or clothing related obstruction. Care is maintained to insure that doesn't happen and to avoid unnecessary pointing gun at your body parts throughout process.

For appendix carry the gun is basically always pointed at your junk or legs depending on angle. It is critical that you choose a reliable/safe holster design and a reliable/safe gun if you are going to run around all day in that manner.
I carry appendix and have gotten fairly comfortable with a loaded gun pointed at my junk all day. Haha. Although I take all the safeties/time when holstering a loaded firearm. I'm not ready to be a transwoman quite yet.

I carry appendix and have gotten fairly comfortable with a loaded gun pointed at my junk all day. Haha. Although I take all the safeties/time when holstering a loaded firearm. I'm not ready to be a transwoman quite yet.
And even at that point you'd still be just a dude who blew off his junk...

Biggest hindrance for appendix carry for me has been the 50-60 pounds I've put on since I was 21. Otherwise appendix is a good method in my opinion. In fact, I remember carrying appendix 10 years ago and some "gun guys" were trying to make fun of me for it. I just laughed at their ignorance, and low and behold appendix is the rage now.

And even at that point you'd still be just a dude who blew off his junk...

Biggest hindrance for appendix carry for me has been the 50-60 pounds I've put on since I was 21. Otherwise appendix is a good method in my opinion. In fact, I remember carrying appendix 10 years ago and some "gun guys" were trying to make fun of me for it. I just laughed at their ignorance, and low and behold appendix is the rage now.
I've had people on this forum tell me that it is unsafe to carry appendix the way I do. Almost directly at 12o'clock. I just smile and continue on with the plan of the day. For me appendix is the easiest/most comfortable way to conceal and retain positive control of my firearm.

It's fine for when that's an option. At some point you may be practicing at the range...or...God forbid...have to shoot somebody. So make sure you can re-holster safely when you are unable to remove the holster.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top