JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Planning to view from Madras. Question for the folks native to the Beaver State (snicker) - It looks like HWY 97 is the route to take to avoid the crowds from the South. Anybody agree/disagree?

given it's an older narrower State Highway already burdoned to the max during the RV rutting season, I wouldn't count on 'avoiding' much of anything.

Take plenty of water/gas/condoms/Kugerrands in any case.

I am in awe of any of you willing to venture out into that mess. I'm not saying I'm preparing for the end of the world, but I have about 30 gallons of water stocked up, extra propane for my grill, and will go stock up at the grocery store before the event. I expect to lose power that weekend (happens regularly in my area anyway).
My son and I won't leave the house that weekend. We are directly in the path and it's the same weekend as Brownsville country music fest. Cluster-f on top of cluster-f.
My wife works in health care and in no uncertain terms was told to expect to be working that weekend. ODOT has said this will be the largest traffic issue in state history. Obviously healthcare is expecting trouble.

Good luck with your venture, stay safe wherever you end up.
Nobody that I can see has mentioned eye protection from eclipse. That's probably going to be high on the list of medical problems! Look what it's done to me and I've only seen two eclipses!

I would rather drink that than the Willamette water in PDX

Portland city water comes primarily out of the Bull Run watershed and is probably some of the highest quality municipal water in the country. 10% comes from the Secondary source at the Columbia South deep well and its almost as good as the Bull Run water. Good luck finding better tap water anywhere.

I guess it's the signs at the rivers edge swimming and boat launches WILLAMETTE.png

Will any of you NWFA bros and broettes be in Madras during the Great Dystopia and Book of Revelation Weekend? It occurs to me that it would be cool to meet any of youse (that's plural of you ;)) who might be there in meatspace. The folks here are the cream of humanity. :D

Just heard on the local news tonight - a new front will be moving into Oregon next week. They're already calling for "heavy rain" next Monday the 14th. AND, the weather guy said there is a likely chance that the weather may no be clear in Oregon on the 21st - across much of the state.

So, does that mean all these 1,000,000+ folks that paid a ton of $$ to come here and see an eclipse will freak out and riot?

It would leave routes available for EMS, obviously depending which routes are blocked.

It's kind of a big deal...Apparently.

Most departments have already identified alternate routes from the normal response streets. Most are parallel routes and there will be street closures to make sure they have access. They are drilling on these routes and how to move through grid lock. Depending on how all this starts out, there are plans to deploy the apparatus out in the areas so that there is at least one unit close to the need to start with. This works on places where major highways run through. I have seen the plans for Redmond, Madras, Terrebonne, and also how they plan to access the rural areas alternatively as well. I have not heard of any plans to close major highways, doing so would only force more traffic on to side streets and less traveled roads.

I would imagine that there are more helicopters being brought in for med evac reasons, they all ready as common as ambulances on the east side of the Cascades, and they can bypass the traffic jams pretty easily. My son said it took them almost 1.5 hours to get to the Deschutes County fairgrounds from Sisters Saturday night for a concert. He also said that the cell service was not working well at all, he only had service for about a half and hour that night, and this is just the locals coming to town for a hoot and holler night.

Will any of you NWFA bros and broettes be in Madras during the Great Dystopia and Book of Revelation Weekend? It occurs to me that it would be cool to meet any of youse (that's plural of you ;)) who might be there in meatspace. The folks here are the cream of humanity. :D

I will be north of Madras at the junction of 97 and 197 on the family property, but you had better be flying the NWFA colors high and proud because I intend to fire upon any and all uninvited interlopers. :D

P.S......unless we get some rain. Then I might entertain the thought of strangers stopping by........still no guarantees though.

E

Portland city water comes primarily out of the Bull Run watershed and is probably some of the highest quality municipal water in the country. 10% comes from the Secondary source at the Columbia South deep well and its almost as good as the Bull Run water. Good luck finding better tap water anywhere.
I agree.
Some people pay for water of an 8.5 PH level, like $5 a liter for that stuff. I will tell them that the tap from bull run comes out at 8.3 PH, and they always try to argue it with me. Guess what their answer is when I ask them where they are from? BAHAHA
LoL this is what they look like when they tell me drinking 8.5 PH water cures cancer...

I can see ODOT running the point with a plow on the front of one of their sanding trucks to help push stranded vehicles out of the way so that EMS and Fire can get to the accident scene.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top