JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Planning to view from Madras. Question for the folks native to the Beaver State (snicker) - It looks like HWY 97 is the route to take to avoid the crowds from the South. Anybody agree/disagree?

I would expect HWY 97 north and south of Madras will be a complete mess. Heck, it can be a mess just on a regular weekend. I don't know any other good routes since we only use 97 when going through there. We are simply staying away. Be prepared for very, very long waits, probably no matter what route you take. An extra 500,000 people estimated in Oregon for this and most are heading the same area of the state you are.

According to OSP, Oregon State Police they have talked about shutting down some of the highways during the eclipse time. Why? I have no idea but I know a trooper at are church that has said they are considering it. They are planning for an absolute worse case scenario including using National Gaurd for addiditonal help.

They are thinking that it will be absolute chaos.

Makes sense.

It would leave routes available for EMS, obviously depending which routes are blocked.

It's kind of a big deal...Apparently.

We're having a few more medflight helicopters being moved into the area for the timeframe. I believe 2 for the coast, 2 in Salem and another 2 on the other side of the cascades. Could be wrong on the numbers/locations. It was in one of the system wide alert e-mails sent out at work.

Since Kate has activated the NG, that also would include there airlift capablilities (I'd assume, but she's a moron).

Work has graciously offered folks whom are off & interested, to be on standby from home, should there be a need for the duration. Ie if scheduled folk can't come in due to traffic.

Our Star Trek transporter is currently down for preventative summer maintenance, so I had to decline there request...working on getting the hover ship back in service, but just didn't want to promise anything...

Be prepared for very, very long waits, probably no matter what route you take.

@revjen45 What he said. And what I heard on the local news here a week or so ago. "Be prepared to go to the bathroom with out leaving your car." I believe that may have been directed more at the I-5 corridor, but you never know?

I have land available. Horse pasture approximately 15 spaces. Access to bathroom and shower. $100 for the day/nigh. 24h Armed guard onsite. Must show valid license and cash only at the time of arrival.

Spaces are 10X15 approximately

a parking space for $100. Where are people supposed to camp and park? 10x15 my tent is that big... glad I have zero plans of being ripped off by people just looking to milk the situation.
Armed guard sounds like a bad idea. pretty sure armed guards need a state cert. sounds like you need insurance for that.

I will keep my happy as close to my hugely prego woman incase we need to go to the hospital for labor. Too much HYPE.
If was gonna be involved in this craze, I would probably go to a high elevation, geographically isolated, area of Idaho or further east, maybe far eastern Oregon off the beaten path.
Amazing how many suckers there are in the world today.

Let's see, camping spot, full bathroom, shower, electricity Armed Gaurd "Certified" plus parking. You think that's a ripoff for 100$? Insurance and the guard are costing me $1000 so if I fill all the spots I make 35$ dollars a spot I charge more than that for horse turnout.

Try and find ANY place else that offers this at this point in time.

HAHAHA this is pretty great stuff.

I also agree about the "doom and gloom" attitude, it should always leave you feeling like things turned out better than you thought and cause happiness.

Heretics post is priceless and deserves a section in willamette weekly. At least it seems to have been written by him, and not a New Yorker/Californian.

Bhahahhaha, these posts are pure comedy gold!
If I was to try to exploit this situation it would be, $3 bottle water and $3 cold bananas (for these skin monkeys). Ride a cart up & down dense traffic areas selling, maybe have another cart for the opposite direction. High traffic areas within the lines of totality would be the target areas. Jokes, they can all starve and dehydrate for all I care.

#1 make friends
#2 make sure they are in different areas
#3 ask if you can hang out on 10 acres in the line of totality for the weekend and keep cool in the river alongside the property. Wait until the evening to hit the highway to return home.
:)

I remeber December 1999 and what was " supposed " to happen. I think I still have my gallon jug of water I purchased " just in case" :eek:

Gotcha beat...I still have two of these left from November 22, 1963.
There seems to be some unknown life forms swimming in them now, but I figure it's still healthier to drink than what comes out of Portland taps now.

DSC_0002.JPG

Last Edited:
Excellent subject matter and thank you all. Do we remember the big Blizzard of 2017? We had 26 inches of snow in our parking area and driveway. Guess what? Some high school kids showed up with shovels. One hundred bucks to clear a space sosss you could get your 4x4 SUV to the plowed highway! The kids worked hard and made a fortune! Adversity into opportunity!

For some the notion of being able to get your vehicle out and running free was worth that kind of money. We said NO. Had everything we needed. The kids just went next door. The mobile whatever idea running down between the lanes of Solar Eclipse stalled traffic selling ice, water, toilet paper, candy bars, sun screen, some food, hand fans, alcohol, sodas, etc. is a grand idea.

Motorcycle towing a goodies trailer? A bicycle towing whatever? You would need some way to protect your trading goods. Use your imagination. Anybody got a satellite phone that would still work getting out a signal and connection? Any other items you think would be a great seller at extremely inflated prices? What would some pay for a ice cold six pack of beer? Any ideas?

Respectfully. Let's turn a disaster into a gold mine! :) I payed $20 bucks for a satellite 2 minute voice to voice phone call during the Florence fire in around 2000. That guy made some money. There also were entertainment girls driving around the big base camp at Lake Selmac Oregon. Working girls. Very busy until chased off. Kinda. Entrepreneurial business successes. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top