JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can any of you who reside in the State of Oregon advise me as to the location of dispersed camping ares (i.e. not requiring a permit, (like just open land where my son and I won't get busted for vagrancy for spending a night in the open) within a couple of hours drive of the Path of Totality for the eclipse? The Path of Totality is roughly between the latitudes of Mcminnville in the North and Redmond in the South.
It doesn't have to be a camping area - anyplace we could crash for the night before would work. Yeah, I would pay to park in somebody's pasture.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Huge space on public land E of cascades. Given the veritable circus, National Guards and fire season coupled with unknown quantum hoardes what you ask is speculative at best. Good luck.

I would look at the map that shows the path of totality and reference where it crosses public lands. Be prepared to share your campsite with 500,000 of your closest friends.

2017-eclipse-map-oregon.jpg

You will need to camp in the path, along with many others. The highways will be a total gridlock so you will not be able to drive to get to a viewing point. You will also need to arrive a few days before the event or be prepared to sit in traffic for many hours the day before. Have extra gas with you because all of the gas stations in the path will be sold out when one million people show up for this event. My Mother in law lives in the path and is only an hours drive from me. I was planing to go down the day before and spend the night. However when I learned that a total gridlock is expected for all highways and that it will probably last from the day before to the day after, I decided that I could live the the 90% totality that we will get at home.

I just took a drive from Portland up into the Olallie Lake area which is SE of Estacada on Hwy 224 and there are a lot of areas one could camp out in the National Forest. There's a swath of power line transmission towers that run through that area and would be the best line of site for watching the approaching shadow.

40 years ago there was one with totality in the 'Horse Heaven Hills' area around the tri-cities area.

We drove across the state from PDX to stay overnight with family, then headed for a high spot which was a convenient abandoned homestead along a mostly deserted paved highway in that region.

Well worth the effort then, but there was no internet hype, let alone 'internet'.

This has all the indicators of high marketing promotion verging on the hysteria of yet another meaningless 'sport-bowl' event.

After much study of the situation, our PDX friends we shared that event so long ago, they have decided the turmoil and gridlock is not worth their efforts, and have advised they will be staying home.

I am in awe of any of you willing to venture out into that mess. I'm not saying I'm preparing for the end of the world, but I have about 30 gallons of water stocked up, extra propane for my grill, and will go stock up at the grocery store before the event. I expect to lose power that weekend (happens regularly in my area anyway).
My son and I won't leave the house that weekend. We are directly in the path and it's the same weekend as Brownsville country music fest. Cluster-f on top of cluster-f.
My wife works in health care and in no uncertain terms was told to expect to be working that weekend. ODOT has said this will be the largest traffic issue in state history. Obviously healthcare is expecting trouble.

Good luck with your venture, stay safe wherever you end up.

You will need to camp in the path, along with many others. The highways will be a total gridlock so you will not be able to drive to get to a viewing point. You will also need to arrive a few days before the event or be prepared to sit in traffic for many hours the day before. Have extra gas with you because all of the gas stations in the path will be sold out when one million people show up for this event. My Mother in law lives in the path and is only an hours drive from me. I was planing to go down the day before and spend the night. However when I learned that a total gridlock is expected for all highways and that it will probably last from the day before to the day after, I decided that I could live the the 90% totality that we will get at home.

It'll be like a SHTF scenario!

I'm thinking I'll just head off to the woods for some target practice... I've been through total eclipses back east, nothing to excite me...

The wife and kinda might be interested, not sure I'm willing to deal with the headache of gridlock, short tempers and ignorant drivers... And of course ODOT and OSP will most likely screwup and movement of traffic...

I'm trying to get some T-shirts made up with the state of Oregon outline and then text in the middle that reads: 2017 Solar Apocalypse, Death, Destruction and Mayhem! Sell them up and down the highway for $25.00 and bottled water for $4.00 a bottle! That's my retirement plan!

Shoot me a PM I have some ideas for Central Oregon viewing

Can any of you who reside in the State of Oregon advise me as to the location of dispersed camping ares (i.e. not requiring a permit, (like just open land where my son and I won't get busted for vagrancy for spending a night in the open) within a couple of hours drive of the Path of Totality for the eclipse? The Path of Totality is roughly between the latitudes of Mcminnville in the North and Redmond in the South.
It doesn't have to be a camping area - anyplace we could crash for the night before would work. Yeah, I would pay to park in somebody's pasture.
Any and all help is appreciated.

I'm trying to get some T-shirts made up with the state of Oregon outline and then text in the middle that reads: 2017 Solar Apocalypse, Death, Destruction and Mayhem! Sell them up and down the highway for $25.00 and bottled water for $4.00 a bottle! That's my retirement plan!

LOVE IT!

97.1% is pretty good here at home sitting on all my preps... As much as I'd like to oblige my egg head, science geek kids and get them in view of 100%... I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it.
Maybe by 2024 I'll have a way to comfortably travel to Texas.

Check out this map... Sothern IL and SW Missouri get 2 in 7 years! If there is an Illuminati plot to unfold(ala Tomb Raider) It should happen at the intersection of the two right? C8A9494B-222B-4F72-9772-6D3CACC1A418-516-000000D1B3351D98_tmp.jpg

In Vancouver it's 98.9% - that's good enough for me.

Kid will have a class during that time so I'm hoping the professor at least gives them a 30 min break in the middle of class so she can have the experience.

Wife and I are going to take a 2 hour lunch and grab food while eating in the car at some parking lot.

I don't need or want the bother that will be down south. Hell, I don't even want to drive across either bridge:p.

Pizza by the slice! Or even better would be a portable toilet on a little trailer you can tow behind a bicycle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top