JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
4) Is open carry legal outside the Peoples' Soviets of the Megalpoplises? Not thinking about anything that looks belligerent like a drop-down holster, 32-rd mag, and Gerber MkII, but maybe a full flap military holster with a TTC. Notmally, I'm not into OC, but my WA and UT CCWs don't work in OR.

I'm pretty sure a full-flap military holster counts as concealed.!! Might want to check it out.

Can any of you who reside in the State of Oregon advise me as to the location of dispersed camping ares (i.e. not requiring a permit, (like just open land where my son and I won't get busted for vagrancy for spending a night in the open) within a couple of hours drive of the Path of Totality for the eclipse? The Path of Totality is roughly between the latitudes of Mcminnville in the North and Redmond in the South.
It doesn't have to be a camping area - anyplace we could crash for the night before would work. Yeah, I would pay to park in somebody's pasture.
Any and all help is appreciated.
Good luck

I just drove back from Lincoln City about midday on a Monday and while traffic overall was fine, the roads right before Lincoln City were congested. I can only imagine what this is going to be like during the eclipse.

We are in the center of the path. Camping spots are being advertised for 100.00 a night, Motel 6 is charging 960.00. Per night. My cousin said they are charging 100.00 a night to sleep in an alfalfa field in Twin Falls. The sheriff here is a friend of mine......he is bringing in massive reinforcements and clearing the jail as much as he can to accommodate new patrons. The biggest concern is Fire danger and traffic......... as well as crazy people in general. The Sheriffs office has been fielding questions for 6 months from people asking about animal sacrifices and Satan worship in general. We have a couple of hundred people coming to our ranch mostly from the UC system in California. A world class professor is bringing a million dollars of scopes and photography equipment along with a group of students and will be filming a program as a segment for the Nature channel. Payette county voted last night to declare a state of emergency to deal with medical, trash, criminal and fire problems that they are anticipating. The other issue we have here is being on the Oregon Border.....but in Idaho is pot.....idiots think because it is legal in other states it is OK...........they get 10 year prison sentences here and more for other drugs. I will be glad when it is over. The government forests are all under red conditions so campfires and even stoves are illegal in general as is off road driving. You can get a ticket just pulling off the road to a camp.

Last Edited:
I would say this is a last resort and do not recommend it but it still is an option...City of Salem announced today that all 93 city parks will be open for free, legal camping around eclipse date.

I have land available. Horse pasture approximately 15 spaces. Access to bathroom and shower. $100 for the day/nigh. 24h Armed guard onsite. Must show valid license and cash only at the time of arrival.

Spaces are 10X15 approximately

I would say this is a last resort and do not recommend it but it still is an option...City of Salem announced today that all 93 city parks will be open for free, legal camping around eclipse date.

I thought they were already. Last time I got off on surface streets there it looked like a gdamn vagrant camp at a couple of parks.

Great..... and when they are all trashed, (literally) they will pay city workers to clean up the messes left by these idiots. :s0137:

Just heard they will be anchoring a cruise liner just off shore to sell spaces for eclipse viewing. These are apparently the last spaces to be had anywhere. :eek:

3be6f819ef8270bb39255d2a512b33e0--titanic-movie-stunts.jpg

Seriously though, I checked for a friend last week and there were not even any legitimate tent spaces to be had on the Oregon coast.

What I call it is "The Powers of Negative Thinking". It's a special technique in being prepared for all that may come one's way. If one thinks of the worse that could possibly happen at any time then one will be prepared for when/if it does. When/if nothing terrible happens and things go as they should, those who use those powers can be doubly happy. I live my life by it.

I call it being unhappy. Nothing wrong with being prepared and planning for the worst case, but there's a difference between being prepared and actually expecting it to happen. Every time I take off, I (we) have planned and prepared for the worst case scenario of a V1 cut. We are ready for it if it happens, but we don't expect it to happen. If we approached every takeoff expecting it to happen, we'd be nervous bubblegumming wrecks and hating our lives. We take extra fuel for the event of being unable to land at the destination and having to go somewhere else, but we don't expect to need it (OK, sometimes we do, but not usually). If we always thought we'd be diverting, we'd never want to start.

So for this eclipse? I'll be prepared for bubblegum to go sideways, but no way in hell am I going to let that stop me from enjoying it. I've got a plan to go out and experience it, yes probably with some hordes though I'm hoping my plan avoids most of them, but I'm going to have fun doing it. I expect;) that everything will go fine (obviously there are going to be some cases of injury of various types), but I will be prepared if it doesn't.

Word is that three-quarters of the entire population of Earth plan to arrive in Oregon during the fourth week in August in order to get a good seat for the solar eclipse. We native Oregonians (defined as "people who moved here at least 10 years ago") are not thrilled with the idea of sharing our wide open spaces with people whose primary experiences with the outdoors have been limited to hailing a cab or running quickly from a raccoon while taking out the trash.

In order to make sure you don't tick off the residents of the Beaver State (oh, stop it! What are you, still in 7th grade?), here are some things you should know before arriving:

· Spots in state parks are booked up three years in advance even in non-solar-eclipse years, so no amount of whining is going to change that. A better option is to pay an Oregonian a small fortune to rent a spot in their yard. If you check Craigslist (yes, we do have Craigslist out here; thanks for asking), you'll find lots of us who are willing to put up with your shenanigans for one or two nights for a couple thousand dollars. We have mortgages on our weed dispensaries to pay.

· On the west side of the Cascade Mountains, you'll find more hippies than rednecks. On the east side, the reverse is true. Do NOT get this confused.

· Our motto is, "She flies with her own wings." Our governor is a woman. Our attorney general is a woman. Leave your sexist t-shirts and ball caps at home. Oregon women aren't shy about telling you to shut your trap. Also, many of us have chainsaws.

· Whatever you bring into our state, take it back with you when you're gone. Don't leave garbage or unwanted members of your family behind. While we have great animal rescue programs, they will not take your in-laws.

· Speaking of animal rescue, we Oregonians LOVE our animals, so do not even think of leaving yours in a hot car even for a few minutes. We will use our chainsaws to break your windshield to save the poor critter. Then we will take them out for dairy-free, gluten-free, free-range ice-cream-like product and rename them Starfish or Morning Dew.

· Yes, recreational marijuana use is legal in this state, but you cannot toke and drive, toke and operate a power boat, or toke and stand on the top floor of a hotel taunting passers by. Also, we frown on your using our tree stumps as bongs. That's where our best mushrooms grow, you fool!

· Do NOT attempt to pump your own gas. Gas station attendants have been trained in krav maga and will take you down right there at the pumps. As they do, all the other drivers will point and laugh at your stupidity.

· Please do not shave any body part while in our great state. So few of us do that that our water systems are not equipped to handle body hair. Besides, the Sasquatch look is trending!

· If you see a bunch of naked folks riding bikes or a man on a unicycle playing flaming bagpipes, you are NOT hallucinating. These are normal events in this state. If you object to nudity or unicycles, you should stay home.

· If you're not used to staring directly at tie-dye, we recommend you use your eclipse glasses for that too. You don't want to burn out your retinas too soon.

Be kind to the Beaver State while you're here because if you don't, we'll strap on our Nikes and chase you to the Idaho border. We hear they love strangers.

The author of that piece is obviously a transplanted Californian because even if you have lived here for ten years or more, we (true natives actually born here) would still consider you to be just a Californian.

E

I call it being unhappy. Nothing wrong with being prepared and planning for the worst case, but there's a difference between being prepared and actually expecting it to happen. Every time I take off, I (we) have planned and prepared for the worst case scenario of a V1 cut. We are ready for it if it happens, but we don't expect it to happen. If we approached every takeoff expecting it to happen, we'd be nervous bubblegumming wrecks and hating our lives. We take extra fuel for the event of being unable to land at the destination and having to go somewhere else, but we don't expect to need it (OK, sometimes we do, but not usually). If we always thought we'd be diverting, we'd never want to start.

So for this eclipse? I'll be prepared for bubblegum to go sideways, but no way in hell am I going to let that stop me from enjoying it. I've got a plan to go out and experience it, yes probably with some hordes though I'm hoping my plan avoids most of them, but I'm going to have fun doing it. I expect;) that everything will go fine (obviously there are going to be some cases of injury of various types), but I will be prepared if it doesn't.

If a person is "Unhappy" then they're failing to use the program properly.

Last Edited:
Planning to view from Madras. Question for the folks native to the Beaver State (snicker) - It looks like HWY 97 is the route to take to avoid the crowds from the South. Anybody agree/disagree?

According to OSP, Oregon State Police they have talked about shutting down some of the highways during the eclipse time. Why? I have no idea but I know a trooper at are church that has said they are considering it. They are planning for an absolute worse case scenario including using National Gaurd for addiditonal help.

They are thinking that it will be absolute chaos.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top