JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It means bupkiss if they no longer make it maybe there is a reason for that lol ! The preban is a sales tactic you can buy the same item without any restrictions now since the ban has EXPIRED !

This is what it used to mean:

Nowadays, it seems to me it would only be useful for models that were changed because of the ban - a gun may have had certain features before the ban, and others after or during. So, for a few certain guns, it may tell you what features to expect the gun to have.

It might still matter in states that duplicated the AWB in their own laws and didn't let it sunset.

But some of the mods during the ban were hella schweeeet !
1655267897687.png

This is what it used to mean:

Nowadays, it seems to me it would only be useful for models that were changed because of the ban - a gun may have had certain features before the ban, and others after or during. So, for a few certain guns, it may tell you what features to expect the gun to have.

It might still matter in states that duplicated the AWB in their own laws and didn't let it sunset.
Oh, and magazines! How did I forget that. Some states banned magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds made after a specific date. So you may see reference to that in some states. If I recall correctly it doesn't work that way in WA. In a few weeks you won't be able to transfer them, just keep them.

pre-ban

[pre-ban]

adjective

1. manufactured before the ban:

"you can't import them anymore."

synonyms:
prohibit, forbid, disallow, outlaw, make illegal.

The problem with "pre-ban" is that it can refer to multiple "ban" events. Some are no longer in effect. Others very much so.

Springfield Armory imported SAR-48 which is a 100% IMBEL made FAL. Made illegal to import by the Bush 41 Era import ban.

So yes..... more than a marketing or salesmanship gimmick.

20200919_090112.jpg

Last Edited:
Its largely irrelevant now. since the ban had been over for almost 20 years

A throwback to the 94-04 "assault weapon ban" ...

"Pre-Ban" is more or less an indicator that it is in original configuration.

Whereas ban-era guns would have thumbhole stocks, no threaded barrel, bayo lugs ground off... in the case of some AK rifles they would have magwells which would only accept single stack magazines <10rnds... folding/adjustable stocks would be pinned in a fixed position..... you know, so the guns were safer and less likely to be used in a crime :confused:

Just to pile on a thread with already good answers, In terms of foreign rifles, my understanding is that it's a pre-Bush ban and the rifle was not chopped into a parts kit and remade on an American receiver with an American barrel--ergo, it's OG configuration. ARs, they just mean its pre-assault weapons ban.

preban doesnt mean much for most people, but if i remember correctly it still totally means something in some of the more restrictive states... cuz they elected to "keep" (more or less) the AWB after '04

When I see "Rare" or "Pre Ban" in the title my next look is directed at the member's messages and reaction stats. Just as I suspected, a total noob. :D

IMHO........
Well, I've found that........
The REAL pre ban rifles have a "certain following."

If you haven't lived through it......

You probably don't/may not get it.

Whatever.......it take all sorts.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR